Hurricane weather

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Marcus

Hurricane weather

Post by Marcus »

If you want information on weather go to: http://www.nwac.us/weatherdata/hurricaneridge/now/

High 30s or low 40s with 6 feet of snow on the ground.
Rita

Re: Hurricane weather

Post by Rita »

I think this weather report sounds worse than it is. The webcam doesn't show any snow (I'm assuming that the webcam is on the top of the ridge, but since I've not been this way, I don't know.):
http://www.nps.gov/olym/photosmultimedi ... webcam.htm
Having said this, it may snow tomorrow :?
Rita

Post by Rita »

Just saw this on the Jon Watkin's facebook site:

"We no longer have a support vehicle. We still have a reservation under # 349205 if people are still planning on going and taking a car over. Unless the weather dramatically improves in the next 12 hours, I think this ride is on the Fritz."
BryanS

Post by BryanS »

Aww this sucks, it was going to be a great ride!. I did realize today that I would have not been able to make it regardless, as I cant find my passport. :? . Alec ill have your money for fri or tomorrow morning if you're coming for Listers sprint clinic...

also if its not to much to ask and your still going, if you could possibly sell the ticket to someone else that would be great, but no worries if you dont, just let me know
Last edited by BryanS on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Shipley
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Are you kidding me? We rode December 9, 2009 in -7. And snow hasn't stopped TripleShot in the past.

We just might have to dress a little more creatively. Watch out for sawblade legwarmers!

If it really sucks, we can just go sit in a diner and eat pie until the next Coho out.

That or go gun-shopping at K-Mart.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Rolf wrote:...sawblade legwarmers!

...go gun-shopping at K-Mart.
You're from the prairies originally, aren't you?
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Born & raised Victorian, with a tongue permanently stuck in cheek.
steve

Post by steve »

A quick word of advice for those of you who haven't done the ridge before - it can be nice and sunny here and pour down with rain over at the ridge. The elevation guarantees it will also be cool close to the top.

I rode up 3 years ago in a torrential downpour with high 30 temperature at the top after leaving sunny Victoria. Not having a nice coat of adipose tissue to keep me warm, I shivered for the next 45 minutes while trying to use the bathroom hand dryer to dry my soaked water resistant jacket. I then had trouble gripping the handlebars on the way down with a windchill adding to my already freezing condition.

Lesson learned - bring extra dry clothes even if it looks like you wont need them!

Good luck for all those going up, its an epic ride.

Steve
Barry McKee

Post by Barry McKee »

Local forecast on NOAA. It doesn't say snow..... Have a great, albeit damp ride.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text
watwin

Post by watwin »

Soooo, being an ex-cross-country skiier in Manitoba none of this scares me particularly, but is anybody else game to head over anyway? I don't really know the way.....
Rita

Post by Rita »

Yes, there will be a few of us going over or at least meeting to discuss plans. We'll meet at 5.30am at the ferry terminal and will then decide if we'll head over or stay on the island.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Crikey, I didn't mean to cause any panic in the jungle. I just wanted to let folks know to dress with more than leg warmers and an undershirt. Heck the overnight low is only predicted to go down to 38 so I plan on going.