Thursday Am cornering session 6:00 Windsor park

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Thursday Am cornering session 6:00 Windsor park

Post by Lister Farrar »

Only 4 more Thursdays to practice cornering until the Windsor park criterium July 25.

We'll cover the basics for those that want that, and have groups that do intervals, like one and two lap, small group, pacelines.

Volunteers needed to watch for traffic at the corners. You won't be stopping traffic, just warning the riders a vehicle is coming.

Experienced riders to ride with newer riders welcome. Consider being the lead rider so others can concentrate on technique and not pulling, or riding the back to keep weaker riders in their group, or alongside to be the beginnings of a 'bunch'.

It's also best if we consider keeping our voices down before 7:00 for neighbours still sleeping.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
matteo

Re: Thursday Am cornering session 6:00 Windsor park

Post by matteo »

I'll be there! Thanks Lister!
Matteo Sesia
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Meet 6:00am @ windsor park??
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

jeremy wrote:Meet 6:00am @ windsor park??
Yes. Saves time meeting at the usual place then riding over. We always seem to be short of time before the cars start coming.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Where at Windsor park are we meeting? Judging from how things went tonight, I need some cornering practice... :oops:
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

North side. Probably next time I'll say the middle of the park next to the field house so we can talk witout annoying the neighbours, but too late for tomorrow.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Alec, Greg, and Matteo joined new riders Ernette and Eva and I. Having heard the intro before, Matteo and Greg beat each other up for a bit while the rest covered the basics of line, weighting and speed adjustment.

We went from occasional twitches, gaps and some irregular arcs, to smooth and fast. Eva in particular got the 'ease-up-before-the-corner-then-do-some-pedal-revs-to-get-speed-to stay-on-a-wheel-while-leaned-over' quite quickly. Impressive considering she was following Greg and Matteo and they were going pretty fast in the later laps where we added some speed. And it's her second ever TS ride (!)

Her school mate (both go to Esquimalt so we can't recruit them for the Oak Bay team :() Ernette showed the time she has spent with Aviawest, and reminded me of a tip we hadn't talked about, getting low in the upper body in the corner for aero and low centre of gravity reasons.

Alec got his bike leaning the right way, going from shopping cart with fists full of brakes last night to Mike Korb railing crash corner at Bastion. Unfortunately, I will now never be able to beat him at Caleb...:(

Thanks to Greg and Matteo who took turns watching the corner for us. All welcome next Thursday. I could use another experienced rider or two to watch other groups if you're looking for an easy day.

Also, I'm thinking of making next week a cornering + sprint day. Warm-up wth a pace line around the corners, then some straight line 2 up sprints (drag races with the victim of your choice), then leadouts for designated sprinters. Newer riders, it's not as scarey as it sounds. If you're the sprinter, it's hang on to the pace line and wait till the leadout riders fade, or you're 75 m from the line, then go as hard as you can! Groups will be smallish to avoid the rubber band effect.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

Count me in for next thursday morning to help out, Lister.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Thanks Josh. Much appreciated.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

I was planning on coming out but when i got up i was way too tired to get out of bed.
Next week sounds like its going to be really fun count me in for sure, plus theres no race next wednesday so we will be fresh.
-Adam
Adam de Vos
watwin

Post by watwin »

Thanks for the tips this morning Lister, really started to get the feel of it at the end but still need to ingrain the technique/speed for confidence purposes, count me in for next week!

Alec
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

Just a reminder for those that are going to the cornering sessions that next Thursday is Canada day. Only time of the year to ride with 100plus fools up Hurricane Ridge. :D
# 9
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Good point Dave, 'hadn't thought of that. Are there many who wanted to do both? I won't be riding Hurricane, so can do the am session. But if people want to do both, I can re-schedule.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
BryanS

Post by BryanS »

Im going to do the hurricane ridge ride so I wont be here for the cornering session
Bryan Shipley
watwin

Post by watwin »

Hmmm, damn, I was considering trying Hurricane ridge on Canada Day too, didn't register that was Thursday, I may not be able to do the cornering session then...

Alec
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'll be at the cornering session, as I won't be going over to Hurricane Ridge.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

The sprint session at Windsor Thurs July 1 is on.

To repeat an earlier post:
Also, I'm thinking of making next week a cornering + sprint day. Warm-up wth a pace line around the corners, then some straight line 2 up sprints (drag races with the victim of your choice), then leadouts for designated sprinters.

Newer riders, it's not as scarey as it sounds. If you're the sprinter, it's hang on to the pace line and wait till the leadout riders fade, or you're 75 m. from the line, then go as hard as you can! Groups will be smallish to avoid the rubber band effect.
We can use experienced riders to do the leadouts, and you will also get a workout in the drag races.

This is useful for anyone doing group rides. Even if you never race, it's always good to have a little snap in the legs to close gaps or to change lanes in traffic.

Bring a friend (about your speed) to race for coffee bragging rights.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

I am now going to do Hurricane, so i wont be at the session. Hopefully there is another!
-Adam
Adam de Vos
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

and..im back to the sprints, no Hurricnae this time
Adam de Vos
Greg Miller

Post by Greg Miller »

Sounds great. I'll be there.