TSr's at Test of Metal

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

TSr's at Test of Metal

Post by Lister Farrar »

Roland was top 20, in 30-34 03:40:45.1

Logan Simonson (honorary member at least) was top 20 in the under 20, 05:10:21.2. Dad Eric, Oak Bay High team teacher sponsor was 146th in the men's 40-44, 05:11:06.9.

Well done! Any others go? The results are here, but clubs don;t appear in the results.
http://www.canadiancyclist.com/races10/ ... esults.pdf
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Roland

Re: TSr's at Test of Metal

Post by Roland »

Just to be clear, I was 20th in 30-34, not 20th oeverall. 164th in group, which I think is non-pro men.

That race is insane. I'm not sure how exactly how many people started, but 698 men and 108 women finished and 55 pros finished.

The start is self seeded according to finish time. I put myself at the 3:30-3:45 mark. The start chute is roped off until 20 minutes before the start. It's race within a race go get the spot you want. It's elbow to elbow, wedged into the start.

The start was aggressive as people tried to move forward. We started in the rec centre, headed out along highway 99 and then up through a residential area to get to the trails. The first big crash was on highway 99 as the course narrowed. 20 or so people went down and jammed everything up. Then as we entered the single track it accordioned and I saw a girl get knocked onto face as she got rammed.

Test of Metal has a lot of fireroad and a lot of climbing. 1300 meters in 67km. It doesn't turn into technical West Coast mountain biking until the last 20km. I think it's a must do race, just to experience the crazy racers and crowds. Vuvuzelas were imported from the world cup and could be heard all along the course.

I'd like to do it again, just not next year.

Here is a video of near the start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARxluBkg8bs
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
iross

Post by iross »

I thought that video was going to be of highlights from the race, but it's just a continuous single take of lots of people riding up the road around one corner! Tell the truth: they were sneaking out of the top and heading back in the bottom, weren't they?

Anyway, next year, you'll be doing 12HoC, won't you?
EricS

Post by EricS »

Lister, I was hoping no one would notice my time. Not exactly fast. Logan (age 14) and I were hoping for under 5 hours, but Logan had a flat which took us 15 minutes to change (note: always make sure the valve stems on your spare tubes are long enough to stick out of your rims. This makes getting your pump on the stem much easier). That and the fact that despite drinking more than 3 litres and taking in lots of food and electrolytes, I had severe leg cramps in the last 15 km. We had to walk that technical section Roland mentioned. This is definitely a race that requires long hard training rides. Logan and I did not have the miles in that we needed. Also, I forgot my pickle juice.

Great work Roland! That is an amazing time for your first go at this race. Will we see you at the Cheakamus Challenge? Same distance, 2000m of climbing. Mmmm...
Eric Simonson
Roland

Post by Roland »

EricS wrote:Will we see you at the Cheakamus Challenge? Same distance, 2000m of climbing. Mmmm...
Not this year. I think I'm done with epic races for a while. Diving to Squamish, I was watching the road and I'm already dreading the Whistler Grand Fondo.

I would like to do BC Bike Race next year. Anybody looking for a team mate?
iross

Post by iross »

But could you be tempted by the Campbell River 50k? I'm not sure when it is, but I think Glen is planning to go, and we're toying with the idea. Supposed to be some sweet trails up there...
Roland

Post by Roland »