Penticton BC Masters Races

Moderator: mfarnham

Barry McKee

Penticton BC Masters Races

Post by Barry McKee »

I did the hill climb on Saturday. 8.6 km, average grade 8.6, a lot of it at 10 - 12. As close to a category 1 climb as you can find. Basically it is the mountain to the east of Penticton. Nothing like it on the Island. The Okanagan sun warmed it up to around 30 degrees at the start time. Hot, hot, hot! I felt good at the start. I got to the 6k mark and got off my bike to contemplate the pros and cons of life and of continuing. I can't recall when I have been so over-heated. I do not know what my HR was, and just as well. After "a period of time", I'm not sure how much, I continued to the top. Glad I did it. More hill training is needed....

Sunday, today, was the 75k road race. The 50's group contained the usual cast of suspects from the coast. The course was mostly flat, except for that one "little" hill. 3 laps of 25k. I was a bit worried about the effects of the hill climb but I actually felt pretty good this morning. The pace was very inconsistent to start. Some stretches of 50k+ and then some down to 35k. The "little hill" got me on lap 2. I got gapped, then severely, and permanently dropped. I TTT it back to the start with another guy and and called it a day. I just didn't think I had another 25 in the tank. Score a DNF for the race. Not happy about that. I'm still processing the entire situation. I still believe that it is better to DNF that to Did Not Start.
AdamD

Re: Penticton BC Masters Races

Post by AdamD »

Well Barry,
too bad that race didnt go so well for you,
but i know you will have a better time at Caleb Pike on Wednesday...hint....hint...hint :D :D
Adam de Vos