Sooke Road Race Prep

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Sooke Road Race Prep

Post by Rolf »

The reality of May 29 just dawned on me today. There are a lot of gnarly hills on that route from John Muir Elementary to Renfrew and it would be very good to ride at least part of it once in preparation.

Would anyone be interested in a 6:00 a.m. meet-up at Cook St. Starbucks over the next two weekends to drive out and ideally start riding by 7? I think 4 hours would be enough for the race route -- though I'm not sure how fast I'll be able to walk my steel frame up some of those grades around Sombrio. :shock: Ideally we could be back in town around noon.

Possible dates for me include: Sun. 16, Sat. 22, Sun. 23, Mon. 24 (Victoria Day). I might have the use of a minivan and could take at least one other, provided SWMBO doesn't need it. :)
shawnc

Re: Sooke Road Race Prep

Post by shawnc »

Excellent idea. Any morning over the long weekend would work well for me. I'd need a ride out there but I could meet anywhere in Victoria by 6:00AM.
Rita

Post by Rita »

I like the idea too. I can drive out and can take at least 2 other people plus bikes. Any day over the long w/e will be fine for me. Ideally, I'd also like to check out Bear Mountain on one of the days.

Btw, are there any less racey people planning to do the Sooke race? Jeremy and me would be interested in getting a few people together since it will be WAY more fun that way. :D
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I don't think I've ever thought of myself as "less racey", Rita :wink: , but I'll be more focused on having a good experience with some teammates than having a good placement. If that's what you and Jeremy are planning, then sign me up!
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

I would be very interested in riding the route on the 16th & 24th. 6 AM departure from Victoria sounds perfect.

If I could get a ride out with someone that would be great.

Cheers!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

Is it confirmed that we are going to ride the course on Monday 24th?
I can take 4 plus 4 bikes.
FYI the coffee shops in Jordan river are all closed and are up for sale, so no stopping there i guess!
I think there are at least 5 of us wanting to go on Monday.
# 9
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Cool, Dave. I'm driving too, but I only have room for 2 riders and 2 bikes. I've got these rear captain's chairs in the minivan which are great for the kids' carseats, but absolutely suck for stowing bikes. If people are into taking off both wheels and jamming frames together, I could probably take a total of four.

If I could find a rack that fits my van between now and Monday, I could carry 7 peeps plus however many bikes fit on the rack.

How about we meet at Cook St. Starbucks at 6 and convoy from there?
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

I'm into this, can I get a ride with one of you guys??
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
Katie

Post by Katie »

Sounds like you guys need a lesson in mass bike transport. The most anyone can carry is 4 bikes??

We got 21 bikes & 21 people in 4 vehicles (and yes everyone had a seatbelt!)
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

I get dib's on Jeremy (and his cookies)
# 9
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

The turnaround is at 46 km, after about 300m climbing from Jordan River, so it all adds up to about bang-on 100 miles for an out-and-back from Victoria. :D
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Katie we did our best!!
Attachments
IMG_0044.JPG
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)