route reminders and rider rotation

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

toddhatfield

route reminders and rider rotation

Post by toddhatfield »

First, a HUGE thanks to the exec for getting us back on the road/trail together. It's very exciting!

I wasn't sure where to post this, and maybe it has been noted elsewhere already, but I thought it would be good to remind everyone of the route adjustments made in Nov to accommodate the new stop sign at Beacon Hill. Details here:
http://www.tripleshotcycling.ca/forum/v ... ill#p43540

Second, I think some discussion and agreement on rider rotation and other protocols may be useful. A 30m single-file train is going to be ungainly and everyone should be on the same page. My suggestion FWIW, would be to have the lead rider initiate the rotation (only they know how tired they are), to rotate left, and drop back quickly. My concern is that it is going to be harder to see when it's safe to do so, and I have no great ideas on how to ensure safety other than lots of communication and "car back", "passing", etc. I imagine that extra caution will also be advised during any sprints.

I solicit other ideas and discussion.

Stay safe and enjoy this new freedom!
Rolf

Re: route reminders and rider rotation

Post by Rolf »

Timely, Todd! I cross-posted to Spond. Hopefully everyone riding tomorrow and in the come weeks gets a chance to see this.

I have nothing helpful to add on how to manage single-file rotations. I usually only drop back to pee, or change my GoPro battery. :roll:
mfarnham

Re: route reminders and rider rotation

Post by mfarnham »

During this "single-file" phase of return-to-sport, if you ever find a group of 10 to be too ungainly, simply split it in 2 and put several car lengths in between the groups to allow safe passing. While 10 is the max group size, there's no rule against splitting into 2 groups of 5.

Martin