Holiday weekend rides

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Re: Holiday weekend rides

Post by Lister Farrar »

Alan wrote:I'm in --weather dependent.

If it is worse than this morning (and It's hard to imagine a ride worse than what we endured today) I may opt to stay in bed. Frankly folks, I was thinking that for this morning's ride we'd get serious hard men of winter gloating points for riding in 50 kph winds, navigating around tree trunks, and pounding through roads strewn with more shite and debris than you can imagine, but we actually deserve stoopid points. Those who stayed in bed this morning get gloating points for showing they've got more brains than courage...
D'oh. Blew my smart-stay-in-bed-points riding later in the day. Rain, wind, many portages, much mud along Elk Lake.

Tell us more about the lawn detour Pete. Enough to finally get you into 'cross? :D
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
steve

Post by steve »

I'm officially 0 for 2 - went out to meet the guys en route and must have missed them somehow. Lots of destruction from yesterdays storm - Our usual route just after Ash was blocked off secondary to a partially fallen telephone pole and when I went to do Mount Doug there was a large tree fallen across the width of the road. Add to that the downed power line Bob and I almost ran over yesterday....

Steve
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

OK. So time to hit the weather and ride re-set button, and I am not going try to quote David H.

-Sunday--ok it's Sunday, so we are doing the usual Sunday ride, from Fairfield etc. By long are there takers on the full peninsula and over Munn's Durrance to home (downed trees permitting)?

-Monday. Them thar hills (leaving Mayfair at 7), or Easter egg cross dressing.

is that right?
Tutto il rosa della vita
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

MONDAY
Them thar hills

Leaving douglas st starbucks across from mayfair mall @ 6:30
(It's a long one, took me around 4 hours riding time last week)
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

I'm in. I am practically Basque with my lithe fluid climbing style. I have wings.
See you by 0630!!
AlW

Post by AlW »

Is this going to be a civil, 3-shot, no drop ride or a pain pie eating contest?

What's the route out to the Malahat? Goose or highway?
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

I think it shoudl be a "combo" ride where we set a few meeting spots at the top of hills. I cant see wanting to ride up a big hill as a group but we should definately get together at the top of each one so we can still ride most of it as a group.

I will defer to Josh on route as he did it the other week but I expect we are Goose to the hospital and then the highway from there
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

I would say goose to the hospital is the best route.

I agree with peter about having regrouping spots and keeping it civil in that way. No one should be left out by themselves 55km from home.
The top of the 'hat, or the serious coffee at the bottom of the 'hat on the left before mill bay would be a great spot to re-group, have some quick food, etc. For the climb out of shawnigan, it's a "there and back", so people could summit and wait at the top, go back down a bit to meet up with others coming up, and then summit again, or whatever they like. It'd definitely be worth it to all re-group at the top for a picture, because the view is worth it. After that it's all downhill or flat most of the way home, so we can ride it in together.

Josh
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Plawless wrote:I'm in. I am practically Basque with my lithe fluid climbing style. I have wings.
Actually Peter, you need a funny little hat and a syringe full (or body full) of EPO.
Tutto il rosa della vita
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

See?
Attachments
333955232_5c109e880c.jpg
Tutto il rosa della vita
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Anyone without wings for a cross adventure? As an alternative to the Basque-et cases climbing the Malahat, how about the Colquitz/Glendale/Durrance/Regional/Hartland/Stewart Mtn/Thetis loop? Or shorter.

If no takers, anyone for a regular 7:30 fairfield starbucks ride?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hate to add a further option for Monday but how about a regular Friday-type ride, meet at the usual place at 6:00am, ride hard for an hour, have coffee at the usual Mocha house and be home by 7:45 just as the family is waking up? Dave Spiers and I are in for sure, any other takers?
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

I think I'd be into either a regular friday route, or a sunday route, I have no interest in the epic hill ride.
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

Weather permitting (no rain because I have no fenders), I'm up for a morning ride.

No Josh's epic-hill-taste-your-vomit ride for me.

I'll go on which ever one people are doing, but my vote is for the 7:30 fairfield starbucks ride.
Rita

Post by Rita »

I would love to do a cross ride but I fear I won't have the energy for such a long ride. Given that there are not that many people keen to cyclocross tomorrow, shall we postpone it to a sunny and warm day in a month time and convince some more people to come out with us?

I'd be up for a 7.30 Fairfield Starbucks start.

Rita
David Hill

Post by David Hill »

Eeesh. Sounds like 25 different rides.

I'll see whomever (or is that whoever) at Fairfield Starbuck's for a "usual" Sunday ride, although I'll be packing a little extra Easter Bunny chocolate, and I can't promise I won't be dressed in full Eric Partlow Friday Morning Fairfield's Thrifty's Run regalia... okay, who am I kidding - I don't own pants not made of denim or bright blue polyester...

More people makes for easier riding....
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Rita wrote:I would love to do a cross ride but I fear I won't have the energy for such a long ride. Given that there are not that many people keen to cyclocross tomorrow, shall we postpone it to a sunny and warm day in a month time and convince some more people to come out with us?

I'd be up for a 7.30 Fairfield Starbucks start.

Rita
That's ok with me. See whoever turns up at 7:30.

L
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
eric.partlow

Post by eric.partlow »

Dolly and I just got in. we'll be at Fairfield starbucks at 7:30. I'll try to dress down - maybe denim - with the cuffs rolled up to my knees.
See you there,
Eric