New ride proposal: the Dawn Patrol

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

FairweatherMike

New ride proposal: the Dawn Patrol

Post by FairweatherMike »

The fact that I've been a Tripleshot member since 2008 doesn't mean I've gotten used to the surreal experience of riding in the dark when Fall arrives. It's an interesting novelty on a beautiful starry morning, but... no. So, with so many folks working from home during this season of COVID - and perhaps having greater flexibility in their working hours - may I propose: the Dawn Patrol. A ride that leaves at, say, 20 minutes before the published sunrise as shown on your weather app. So technically, it's still a pre-dawn Tripleshot ride! At the shortest day of the year (sunrise 8:05), leaving at 7:45 would still get you back from a Friday waterfront ride around 9 am. I put this idea to Martin and his sensible response was "see who's interested - if you get 5 riders I'll post the ride on Spond."

I see the Dawn Patrol as a simple way to compensate for the fact that BC and the other provinces have not yet adopted UCCT (Universal Coordinated Cycling time) where all timekeeping devices (clocks, watches, phones) are connected to a server that adjusts the time in daily increments so that sunrise is at 6 am year round. :lol:

So who's up for a daylight ride, year round?
Mike Skinner
Rolf

Re: New ride proposal: the Dawn Patrol

Post by Rolf »

F̶a̶i̶r̶w̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶M̶i̶k̶e̶

RetiredMike

:P
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi Mike
A few of us were talking about this at coffee this morning. What we thought we would like to do is have a ride on Friday start at 7:00 with the idea that as it gets darker maybe moving it to a 7:30 start. There were 4 of us at coffee that were planning on doing this. Start this at the beginning of October perhaps? We were thinking of doing this only 1 ride per week with the other rides starting at the normal times. What do you think?
Jill
sailor

Post by sailor »

I would be interested in this. Perhaps we can base start time off Nautical Twilight. :wink:

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/d ... light.html

Tim
L2R

Post by L2R »

I am definitely interested!

Shelagh
afcook

Post by afcook »

The later the start, the more traffic. More traffic = increased risk of collision.
FairweatherMike

Fair comment. Riding in the dark is fairly hazardous as well... part of daylight ride planning will be route selection that gives priority to quiet roads.
Mike Skinner
L2R

Post by L2R »

The ride is up on Spond and there are still some spots. Join us!
Shelagh
FairweatherMike

Apparently the probability of precipitation tomorrow at 7 is around 100%. Just finished putting on my fenders and I have my flashy new Tripleshot rain-resistant jacket. I'll be there ready to brave the elements in the best FairweatherMike tradition unless I see that everyone registered has bailed...

Mike
FairweatherMike

PS - the fender reference is a strong hint, in case anyone failed to pick up on it. Yes, fenders are required along with regulation crap flaps.

Mike
FairweatherMike

Well, the inaugural Dawn Patrol ride was a smashing success. I lay in bed listening to the deluge outside and watching Spond as riders bailed out, thinking, "c'mon, just a couple more and I can just stay here and listen to the rain." Keener Aaron ("what's a little rain? The temperature's great and this will be fun") didn't cancel so I suited up and met him at OBHS. I was soaked just getting to the school so also adopted the "what's a little rain?" mantra and off we went - waterfront through Mt. Doug parkway to Lochside and Mattick's, returning via Emily Carr, Saanich PD, Goose and south waterfront (42 km). Learned that my new Jackroo TS jacket is somewhat water-resistant, but sufficiently windproof to keep from getting totally chilled. A good ride, and Aaron had a good time!

FairweatherMike (gonna change that to "All weather")
John D

Post by John D »

There was a time when members who completed silly cycling-related feats of strength and determination claimed "gloating points". I think it might be time to re-instate the practice. 100 gloating points to each of you! :wink:

JD
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Congrats on extending the Club's offerings a little, Mike, and for overcoming the heavy weight of your "Fairweather" handle. 8) Riding at dawn is a neat idea and I hope it sticks around for another 73 years (for when I get to retire.)

I will say, though, that the 24 cross riders out at 6 a.m. probably had an easier time than you specifically because it was still dark and we couldn't really appreciate how much water was washing down on us... :lol:
FairweatherMike

Thanks, John! Does this award come with a badge I can put on my jacket?

And thanks also, Rolf, for the recognition from the group I view as the harder of the hard core. Too bad I've taken off my knobby tires to fit fenders on for the winter road season. Maybe I need another bike... (n+1)
Mike Skinner