Chain Waxing

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

sailor

Chain Waxing

Post by sailor »

I don't know if there is an earlier thread already out there, but has anyone switched to waxing their chain vice the traditional lube method?
John D

Re: Chain Waxing

Post by John D »

Am I the only one waiting for the WWVW's censor monkeys to descend on this thread? :wink:
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Not the only one. I first read this as chin waxing...
Alan

Post by Alan »

Nose waxing anyone?

JTyre

Post by JTyre »

"Gijzen": is that Slavic?

sailor

Post by sailor »

Dutch. He has stories of outrunning German solders on his bike after stealing potatoes during the war. I am guessing his chain was not waxed. I don't think waxing was/is on his radar. (Still alive at 91.)
EricS

Post by EricS »

Alrighty then...back to the question:

I have waxed many a chain. But I have not done so regularly in decades. No time to do it right. There are some neat ways of getting wax onto your chain via a solvent carrier, but nothing beats the time honoured tradition of spending many hours removing your chain, cleaning with solvent, cleaning with soap (to remove the solvent), cleaning with alcohol (to remove the water), then soaking the chain in a molten mix of wax and additives like teflon in a double-boiler on the stove top while smelling up, and making a mess of your kitchen. Then hanging the hot chain above the pot to capture the drips. Once dry and cool, reassemble your chain, and enjoy low friction riding. Until it rains.

The main advantage is the fact that there is no viscous friction from a sticky thick liquid like oil.

I now use a very thin liquid, that mostly evaporates or is wiped away, leaving a thin membrane. My current favourite is Rock and Roll Gold. Hard to find in town, but can be found on eBay.

Cheers,

Eric
Eric Simonson
Alan

Post by Alan »

Jeremy S

Post by Jeremy S »

I’ve been doing the hot wax chain thing for quite a few years off-and-on. Avoiding the debates of merits/demerits of wax as a chain treatment in general, I would say it’s fairly easy to know if it is worth a try:

1. Do you ride that specific bike primarily on road in dry/summer weather?

2. Are you the type of cyclist who tends to fuss over your drivetrain in general, regularly stripping and lubing the drivetrain when it gets dirty (every few weeks)?

If you said yes to both of the above, I would say that trying wax for your chain is likely worth the initial preparation effort. If you said no to either of the above, I would consider why you are thinking about waxing your chain and make a careful decision based on that :wink:
sailor

Post by sailor »

Thanks Eric and Jeremy, appreciate the feedback.