Holiday weekend rides

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

leftcoaster

Holiday weekend rides

Post by leftcoaster »

So what's happening with the Friday and Sunday rides with the holiday weekend.

It makes sense on Friday to either start a little later (when it is starting to get light) or maybe have a different and longer ride on Friday - maybe up the peninsula.

As for Sunday being Easter (hiding eggs, etc), maybe we should have a ride on Easter Monday instead.

Thoughts anyone?

- David
mlawless

Re: Holiday weekend rides

Post by mlawless »

I am in for a long ride on Friday - perhaps starting at 7:00 back by 10:00 (or 11:00 after multiple Tea/Coffee refills) - maybe do the peninsula (either Wain or Land's End and back (Long Sunday Ride)?

I am also in for a long ride Monday also starting at 7:00 - could we try Josh's Malahat adventure perhaps? Apparently I need to ride more hills :cry:

And for Sunday ... Anyone who needs a lift up to Merrville for the Island Road Race 15k at 11:00 just give me a jingle :wink:

Michael
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

I like the plan. Can we say:

Friday - 7am Fairfield Starbucks & do a long Sunday Ride

Saturday - Josh's sufferfest (I cant do it, sorry)

Sunday - 7am Fairfield Starbucks & do a long Sunday Ride

Monday - 7am Fairfield Starbucks & do Josh's High Mountain ride

Peter
wonger

Post by wonger »

Any interest in re-creating Lister's holiday cyclo-cross adventure on Monday? Anyone?
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

If we're doing the 'High Mountain Ride' again this weekend, I suggest we meet at the Starbucks across from the Mayfair Mall on Douglas. It's on the way and some won't have to backtrack.

- David B
steve

Post by steve »

that means we meet at 7:00 am and roll out at 7:30 or do we roll out at 7:00 am?

Steve
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

I'm up for rolling at 7:00. My internal alarm clock will wake me up before 6:00 even if it is a holiday.

- David B
Roland

Post by Roland »

wonger wrote:Any interest in re-creating Lister's holiday cyclo-cross adventure on Monday? Anyone?
I could easily be convinced.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Me too. Maybe reverse the direction of the loop from last time? Start and finish at Tillicum mall? Head north up the Colquitz trail, along elk lake, then durrance lake, hartland regional trail, then down to Thetis?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
iross

Post by iross »

If I can remember how to ride a bicycle, I could very well be tempted by some cyclocrossy action. We've shelved our plans to go to Hornby Island for the weekend...

And Lister's plan to "do it backwards" sounds good.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

I'm up for Saturday and Monday. Barbara has laid claim to Friday and Sunday morning ride times.

For saturday morning sufferfest, the usual 6AM cook st starbucks sound good? usual route.

For Monday, 7AM works for me for the high mountains ride, but I could easily be convinced to go at 6AM if that works better for more people. Depending on how many people are interested in going, we may want to consider two groups, or some other means of regrouping along the way. The amount of climbing on that ride will splinter people of different climbing abilities, especially on the climb out of shawnigan lake. Maybe we could regroup at the serious coffee in mill bay, and for the climb out of shawnigan, the faster people could do the top half of the climb twice.

We should meet at the douglas st starbucks, across the street from mayfair mall for this one.

Josh
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Greg Miller

Post by Greg Miller »

Is anyone interested in a 6am start on Friday meeting at Fort & Richmond and going on the usual Friday route, then meeting the 7am group that leaves from Fairfield Starbucks along the waterfront?

I can only ride till 7.
gav_eaton

Post by gav_eaton »

I'm into doing the usual ride on Friday (at 6) - I have to drive up island at 9, so won't be able to participate in the 7 ride from Starbucks.

I'll also be out for HammerFest on Saturday. I think I need it!
@#$& this 'work' stuff, I think I'll just go pro...
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

I am interested in usual Friday6 AM ride.

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

I also might be able to fit in the usual friday ride, if I head straight home and skip coffee. Luckily for me, I don't think my wife is interested in starting her Friday ride before 7 AM anyway.

Josh
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

for me Friday will start at 6am for the regular TS Friday but hopefully we can cut it a bit short (what about a Cook St. Sprint?) after which I will head to the Fairfield Starbucks for the longer ride. Other takers?
AlW

Post by AlW »

I'm up for the longer ride on Friday, but plan on joining the group in transit somewhere between caddy bay and cattle point.

If the long ride gets squashed, pls post so I'm not left to wander aimlessly in search of fellow easter eggs....

Al
Roland

Post by Roland »

I plan to be there for the 7am ride, but I can't go too long because I need to be home in time for mountain biking @ 10:00.

PS: Who is mountain biking this weekend?
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
David Hill

Post by David Hill »

Holy crap... Let's see if I got this straight...

On Friday:
We start at 6:00 at Fort & Richmond, do usual Friday, but cut it short to do a Cook Street Sprint, then...
We start at 7:00 a.m. at Fairfield Starbuck's to do an usual Sunday long ride, and then...
Roland goes Mountain biking at 10:00...

On Saturday:
We start at 6:00 to kill ourselves on Josh's Marquis de Sade ride (aka training), with some people opting for a hilly ride... (not me)

On Sunday:
Easter eggs for some, with a mountain bike / road race option for Mike L and Barton, and possibly some Crossdressing ride into the Western communities, but backwards...and
7:00 a.m. ride from Starbucks at Fairfield fo regular Sunday ride (rolling at 7:30)...

On Monday:
A "normal" Sunday ride, starting at 7:00 but rolling at 7:30 from Fairfield Starbucks...

Then Tuesday everything goes back to the "usual"?

Okay... see some of you some time this weekend...
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Roland wrote:I plan to be there for the 7am ride, but I can't go too long because I need to be home in time for mountain biking @ 10:00.

PS: Who is mountain biking this weekend?

Me, hopefully with some combination of family and school clubs. Sunday at 1:00.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4