Peter Saying Thank You Tripleshot

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Plawless

Peter Saying Thank You Tripleshot

Post by Plawless »

Wow. Where to start.

I have just been released from the hospital (more to follow on that) and am home. Arriving home my email goes “bing” and I download an extraordinary get well soon card. While I am not 100% sure about this I’m reasonably confident I am feeling emotions.

Thank you all.

I cannot tell you how touching (and humbling) it was to read all of your messages of support. They say friends are the family you choose, and I absolutely have chosen the best family anyone could ask for and am so privileged that you have let me be part of this great thing that is Tripleshot.

I must also specifically thank Martin and John D. and Andrew N. and those that conspired to get flowers and a cycling book delivered by Andrew A. while I was in (although the chocolates were ruined by the water from the flowers, allegedly). Also, while all the care I received was first class, it did wonders for my well being to have Andrew Attwell, Craig Bosenberg, and Penny Davis take time from their busy work at the hospital to spend time with me and bring me magazines, tea (I have never been so grateful for a cup of tea) and friendly company. The texts and emails from so many of you were funny and touching and made me continuously smile and feel deeply just how lucky I am. You all made a real difference in how I felt each and every day.

So to the update.

It’s sorta crazy. I went from fine to not fine - fast. Two weeks ago on Saturday I did a good long ride with no problems. Sunday I went to run the Lakes and couldn’t (yes, running got me!!! Figures). I had a sharp pain in my foot. So I made a dr appt for a few days later. The pain hadn’t improved by then so my dr sent me the next day to do a same day mri. I had the mri in the morning and that afternoon they called back and had me come to emergency and that’s where things really picked up speed.

In my head my worst case (that I was denying, of course) was that I had a stress fracture in my foot and wouldn’t be able to run for a few weeks. That proved a tad optimistic.

Nevertheless, the great news was that there was no sign of a stress fracture. Instead they found an arterial clot in my aorta and one big one in my leg. The clot in the leg was a pretty complicated one. It had almost fully blocked my right leg at the knee down through the foot (so the foot was at some significant risk).

They did a surgery Thursday to insert a microcatheter from the femoral artery to alongside the clot to deliver a powerful "clot buster" drug directly alongside the clot. That seemed to go well and I woke up Friday with about 1/3 being treated and happily my knee being freed from any clot. That left them looking to do the same procedure for the three arteries in my foot.

Friday morning arrived and they went to try again but unfortunately after getting a bit of the clot buster drug delivered onsite the artery that was being worked on was punctured. This led to some excitement. I know this as I was awake throughout and I can assure everyone it was definitely more than a bee sting! However it was all under control by noon. Unfortunately that meant they couldnt try that same method again.

So late Friday night the vascular surgeon (who was a-mazing!) opened me up to try to "fishhook" as much of the clot out as possible. More than 7 hours later I was in recovery with the surgeon letting me know that he was simply unable to do anything with the three arteries that feed the foot and lower leg (they are completely occluded and not salvageable).

But the great news was that he was able to do a bypass by taking, actually he said “harvesting”, a big vein from my leg (all the way from ankle to groin!!!) and flipping it over, then grafting it to an artery in the knee and pushing it down inside my calf (he referenced “with a curtain rod”) and attaching it down in the heel. I pause here to note that for nearly 50 years I have taken enormous comfort from the sure knowledge that I had a complete set of spare parts walking around (I never planned on the spare parts being on another continent!). So to learn I had to “self supply” that vein….

But I digress, the bypass *should allow blood into the foot where it is hoped there are sufficient "collaterals" to allow adequate blood flow throughout. But it’s all dependent on the bypass keeping working. If it fails that’s it. There are no other options to get blood to the lower leg and foot. So if it fails then it’s time for a big chainsaw!

The really good news is the bypass went in ok and it held up well enough this week that the Surgeon was prepared to let me out. He assured me it was not at the request of the absolutely stellar nursing staff who have been hugely entertained by my whimsical sense of humor and were likely to shed tears upon my departure.

Now it’s just a question of the length of time the bypass will last (this is most commonly done in more elderly folks that aren’t very active and who dont always have lots of years to go. The challenge is I’m young and fit (yup, that was a DOCTOR that said that!!!) so my activity level may end up hurting the bypass. Again it’s one reversed vein doing the job of 3 arteries. But all of that is a tomorrow problem and frankly even if the thing fails the result is still pretty awesome as with some below the knee amputations you can get up and walk the next day. And with Tokyo postponed…….

So its now onto rehab. No weight bearing for a while and August 1st is circled in my calendar for a ride. I’m super motivated and pumped to do this right. And Im extremely keen to at least get to coffee from time to time as the current restrictions get eased. Im actually not sure there is any difference between the lies I tell about winning a sprint where I wasn’t on the ride than those I have told when I was on the ride so?

And lastly since we all know the most important person on a group ride is everyone else I want to reiterate my absolutely humbled thanks to each and every one of you, my Tripleshot family. I don’t have words to express what your kindness and words mean to me. It leaves me resorting to language that I simply do not use but today it seems only right to say that I am truly blessed. Please everyone stay safe, stay healthy and most of all stay Tripleshot.

Peter

PS. Im also investigating the competitive world of hopping. So watch out world!
David Hill

Re: Peter Saying Thank You Tripleshot

Post by David Hill »

Well hell. I guess “Post of the Year” is locked up!

Peter, that was an amazing and harrowing tale of the first leg of this journey. (Yes, I see what I did there and I stand by it.)

Thank you for sharing. We are all hoping for the best outcomes for you, of course; but moreover I’m inspired by your positive outlook and appreciation for what you have, and knowing that you have so many people and friends to lean on.

Incredible what our medical system and creative thinking could do for you. It gives me the a bit of the willies to read it but incredible all the the same.

We look forward to hearing your lies and laughing behind and beside your back soon.

As for competitive hopping, is it possible you could anchor a Triple Jump Relay at Paris 2024?

Get well my friend.
phiri

Post by phiri »

I have not been on the forum for a while, so I am just reading about your ordeal and progress, now. Pease do get well soon.

Take care,

Pierre
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

We need a “like” button, Peter and Dave. Or something stronger.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Louise Wallace

Post by Louise Wallace »

Great post Peter! I concur with David for post of the year and David's post can be the runner up!, ❤️
jbarrett

Post by jbarrett »

Peter,
It's so good to hear you're the back home and healing! Although I totally understand the nursing staff will miss your wit and humour. Take care and keep those smiles coming :) .
Joe
Paul Chris

Post by Paul Chris »

Peter
It is good to hear your story and to hear about your healing journey.
And it is not surprising that you have a goal to be on your bike August 1.

If you wanted company I would be happy to join you. I am sure other Tripleshot Family Members would also.
We could push you up King George Terrace, as you did for me and many others over the last 14 or so years.

All the best Peter,

Paul C.
L2R

Post by L2R »

Hi Peter

I missed signing the card but wanted also to extend my best wishes. I have to say that your attitude is nothing short of remarkable and will hold you in good stead as you heal and return to fitness (thinking hopping training :lol: ). You have been such a positive force for all of us and great role model; here is just one more example. Sending positive healing vibes your way!

Shelagh
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

David Hill wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:50 am Well hell. I guess “Post of the Year” is locked up!
As for competitive hopping, is it possible you could anchor a Triple Jump Relay at Paris 2024?

Get well my friend.
If not Post of the Year, he’ll definitely have an opportunity to get a leg up on winning the TS Xmas Party Dance Off!

See you put on the dance floor, Peter!