Virtual training options

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Virtual training options

Post by Lister Farrar »

Hi TS brain trust:

Hope you’re coping ok with the isolation.

I’m trying to think of ways to run group virtual workouts for the youth program riders. We’ve posted diy exercises, and the older ones are doing solo rides outdoors. However it’s group stuff that our program is based on, much as with the adult side. Problem is, all but a few older ones are not old enough to do solo rides safely.

I’ve seen a gcn video that says it’s possible to take part in a zwift group ride with a basic trainer or rollers, with only a speed sensor on the back wheel. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q8fArWR-CsE (You don’t get the resistance changes, but apparently you can see yourself moving around the group, and there’s some sort of no-drop setting that pops you back in the group if you don’t keep up. (Rumour has it Martin is working on that for group rides when this passes. ‘Wonder if it will pay for coffee too?)

So my questions are:
Anyone tried zwift this way? Is it engaging enough to keep 10-15 year olds wanting to take part? I’m not so worried about power and effort; the keen ones will go plenty hard enough, and the younger ones just pedalling and having fun with friends is what I’m aiming for.

Apparently any speed sensor must have ANT ability (how it talks to a sensor near the back wheel), and an
ANT antennae on a laptop (an add on I’ve heard). Or a speed (and preferably cadence) sensor with blue tooth to talk to the laptop.

Q.
Buying a garmin or wahoo is not feasible for most. (Nor is a smart trainer). Anyone used an inexpensive (50-100$) speedo and/or cadence device with Bluetooth?

Q.
Anyone got a speedo device they’re not using a kid could buy or borrow for the duration? I think I have enough trainers and rollers rounded up.

Thanks, and a virtual elbow bump.
L
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
rduncan

Re: Virtual training options

Post by rduncan »

Hey lister.

Bluetooth works also. And more computers have Bluetooth sensors. I have a speed/cadence sensor I’m happy to donate. They only cost around 75 bucks. I don’t know if Zwickau does this but TrainerRoad uses something called virtual power to help with targeting proper zones. They have a database or trailer types and difficulty settings that you plug into the app and it gives and estimate of power. My guess is that swift has something similar.

I can drop it off for you if you’d like.
Rob Duncan
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

rduncan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:23 pm Hey lister.

Bluetooth works also. And more computers have Bluetooth sensors. I have a speed/cadence sensor I’m happy to donate. They only cost around 75 bucks. I don’t know if Zwickau does this but TrainerRoad uses something called virtual power to help with targeting proper zones. They have a database or trailer types and difficulty settings that you plug into the app and it gives and estimate of power. My guess is that swift has something similar.

I can drop it off for you if you’d like.
Thanks Rob! What does the sensor attach to? Ie is it a stand alone speedometer, or is it the sensor part for a wahoo or garmin device?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

You wrap it around your chain stay and then have magnets on your wheel and crank. Let me confirm it’s functional and if so it’s yours.
Rob Duncan
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

rduncan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:24 am You wrap it around your chain stay and then have magnets on your wheel and crank. Let me confirm it’s functional and if so it’s yours.
Thanks is Rob. So does it talk direct to a laptop? Or via a speedometer or Wahoo-Garmin type device?

Either way we’re keen. Joanna has a wahoo but no sensors, and I would like to experiment with zwift on a basic trainer. I’m at 1058 Davie if you prefer drug dealer drop off, or we can do drug dealer drive-by later. ;).
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
NickLosier

Post by NickLosier »

Lister,

I have one available as well. Bluetooth/Ant sensor. Same setup as Rob's.
Just popped in a new battery, it works.

Sadly I have lost the original magnets that attach to the cranks/spokes.
I can confirm it works with any magnet and creative tape usage
Curran

Post by Curran »

Bluetooth is nicest as you can tie right to computer (or smart phone in many cases).

One thing you want to check is if the trainers you have have calibrations in Zwift. The speed sensor is then used against that calibration curve for the particular trainer to know how much power the avatar in the game should have.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Thanks Nick and Curran.

When could I pick it up Nick?

I suspect many of our trainers are current enough to be in zwifts table of resistance estimates. Will play with them to see what can be done.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
NickLosier

Post by NickLosier »

Lister,

Anytime, I'm at 858 Rockheights Ave in Esquimalt. The sensor will be in the mialbox in a ziplock bag.
(look for 860, and the mailbox is just to the left side of the house.
Gerry L

Post by Gerry L »

I have been happily using Fulgaz with a smart trainer over the last year. Only solo rides are possible but several hundred rides (with a few Victoria area) are available.

It will also kind of work with a regular trainer without any sensors at all. The video will run at the originally recorded speed and you will have to manually pedal harder up the hills. Less boring than watching the garage door. The free trial is now 3 weeks long.
FairweatherMike

Post by FairweatherMike »

I've got what I'm calling a "Zwift starter kit" ideal for someone who has Apple tv. It's a Garmin 500 kit with combo sensor and new unused CABLE Ant+ to Bluetooth converter. More details on UsedVic: https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified ... rue&posted . I can help the buyer get set up, and Tripleshot members get 15% off...
Mike Skinner