covid-19 and group rides

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

mfarnham

covid-19 and group rides

Post by mfarnham »

Some of us get runny noses while riding. In light of heightened attempts to prevent disease transmission, we should all do any "liberation" of such fluids at the *back* of the pack and pointed away from other riders. While the resulting mist is lovely and cooling in summer, it's winter now and Dr. Henry would certainly not approve.

Martin
mfarnham

Re: covid-19 and group rides

Post by mfarnham »

I've been monitoring information coming out of organizations like Cycling BC and Cycling Canada, as well as various cycling clubs in North America. Lister has too and we've been comparing notes. The current advice is basically "avoid large scale events--especially indoors." Escape Velocity, on the mainland, has cancelled its Spring Series of races. As you know, many of the big European cycling events are cancelled or on hold.

There doesn't appear to be much evidence on cycling and disease transmission (for example influenza). Most of the race cancellations are probably more about crowds on the sidelines and the tight proximity that riders live in while touring, than about the peloton itself. But we should take care on the road as well. Common sense suggests some measures we can take to protect yourself and those around you on group rides.

1) Don't show up if you're feeling at all sick.
2) Don't spit, blow your nose, etc. with riders behind or beside you.
3) Keep your gloves, hats, and neck gaiters to yourself at coffee. Preferably off the table.
4) Elbow bumps, not fist bumps (even gloved ones)
5) It's probably worth being thoughtful about handling coffees. They tend to pass through several sets of hands before landing in yours. You might want to go to the counter yourself to pick yours up.

At this point neither Cycling BC nor Cycling Canada is recommending against group rides. Nor is the BC Public Health Officer.

More information can be found here:
http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/disease ... t-covid-19

Check in here for periodic updates.

Best,
Martin
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Thanks Martin and Lister. I'll be checking here regularly.

For sanity's sake, as much as anything, I'll be out group riding. That said, until the curve flattens, I'll be avoiding coffee time and sending my love to all you lovely peoples remotely,

Last edited by JTyre on Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Some of us don't need an excuse to take it easy, but here are some reflections from health academics on cycling and immunity from this Bicycling article on Cycling During Coronavirus:
Is my immune system weaker postride or after a hard workout?

“As you deplete your stores of glycogen, your immune system does not function as well as it normally does. That means in the hours following a hard ride or race, if you have been exposed to someone who has been sick with the flu or coronavirus, your bodies defenses are down, Neiman says. Additionally, mental or physical stress—caused by exerting yourself on a long ride, in a race, or after very hard workout—could slightly increase your chances of becoming ill, Labus explains.

"I would caution cyclists to avoid long, intense rides or workouts right now until we get through all this and just to kind of keep things under control,” Nieman says. “Don’t overdo it. Be worried more about health than fitness."

However, that doesn’t mean you need to quit riding or exercising altogether. There is a very strong connection between regular exercise and a strong immune system in the first place, so the long-term immune system benefits of exercising far outweigh any short-term concerns, Labus says.
So... straight to coffee, then? No, wait! :?
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

After doing some reading and hearing from some medical experts over the last 24 hours, I am now convinced that I should refrain from group rides and other collective activities effective immediately. This is obviously not a choice that I am thrilled about, but I believe that the urgency for preventative action is too great to do otherwise.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavi ... -1.5497789
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yes, totally agree with you.
Stéphane Tran wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:43 pm After doing some reading and hearing from some medical experts over the last 24 hours, I am now convinced that I should refrain from group rides and other collective activities effective immediately. This is obviously not a choice that I am thrilled about, but I believe that the urgency for preventative action is too great to do otherwise.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavi ... -1.5497789
Steven

Post by Steven »

"Ride your bike. Just don’t race your bike. The government isn’t coming to take our bikes away. Go out on that awesome solo ride. Explore your thoughts. Enjoy the “me” time. But stay away from groups. And don’t race. COVID-19 is so easy to pass on. Casual contact. Unknowing contact. And you won’t know you have it because you’ll feel fine when you hug your friends or your grandparents. It’s too risky to not take precautions. And the spread doesn’t stop until we are all on the same page. It kills me to not be at a race this weekend. But the reason I’m not is because I don’t want COVID-19 to kill thousands. Or millions. Social distancing sounds dumb. It sounds “politically correct.” Something that “easily triggered” people do. It’s not. It’s the way we get back to normal. South Korea did it and their infection rate plummeted. Italy didn’t until too late and their hospitals are overrun. Let’s be part of the answer. Isolate. And ride your bike." - Bill Schieken |
Gerry L

Post by Gerry L »

If you have a trainer, speed sensor, and cadence sensor there are at least a dozen platforms ofering virtual rides such as Zwift and FulGaz. A power meter or smart trainer is not needed for many.

Gerry
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

FWIW, I think the risk to the average Tripleshot rider is very small.

If you are sick or have symptoms, stay at home. If you ride, maintain social distancing and wash your hands. Dont hug or kiss each other.

Be pragmatic and dont panic. Get outdoors and enjoy riding in small groups if you can. Buy coffee from local businesses.

In many respects this is a public health/ political problem and not an individual health problem and it requires balancing the needs of the population with the ability of the health care services to manage the anticipated influx of patients.

To that end, I would recommend following the lead of the public health folks:

Tripleshot rides are relatively small groups. Low risk individuals. Outdoors. Social distancing is maintained almost by design. So the risk to yourself and the community with regard to attending a Triple shot ride is very small. Until Public health advise is to cancel these kinds of gatherings, I would continue as this is going to be a long haul and some sort of social contact and exercise is going to be important to maintain our sanity..

Interestingly, If (or when) the crisis hits the levels in other countries, the risk to the average individual Tripleshot rider will arguably not be the disease itself, it will be needing the health care services themselves for unrelated health problems- eg. crashing and requiring an operating room to fix a fracture or an ICU for ventilation. If and when the health care system gets overwhelmed, Id recommend riding on Zwift:) Until then, enjoy the time you have outdoors.

Some resources to keep you updated:

https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about ... nformation
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... sment.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... id-19.html
Craig B.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Bosie wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:56 am Don't hug or kiss each other.
Well, that will certainly affect the ambience of some rides. But at least Johnny Tyre may be a bit less grabby.

Thanks a lot, Craig. This is not the first time I’ve been reassured by a Tripleshotter who also happens to be an accomplished physician. :D
Steven

Post by Steven »

Italy has imposed restrictions on both transport and leisure cycling, including sport cycling, and according to Spanish newspaper El País Spain has followed suit.

“If you go out cycling and have an accident your health care will have a very negative impact on a healthcare system that is on the verge of collapse,” states Spanish government advice.

Those caught flouting the ban face fines starting at €100, and risk a year in prison should they “resist or seriously disobey the authorities or officers when they are carrying out their functions.”
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Rolf wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:40 am
Bosie wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:56 am Don't hug or kiss each other.
Thanks a lot, Craig. This is not the first time I’ve been reassured by a Tripleshotter who also happens to be an accomplished physician. :D
Thanks from me as well, Craig. Very valuable information.
Last edited by JTyre on Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Curran

Post by Curran »

USA Cycling recommending no group rides.
And I was just about to be able to get out with the crew again with kiddos sleeping through the night!

https://roadbikeaction.com/usa-cycling- ... ril-5/amp/
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Late this Sunday night and my life as a non-essential Govt. of Canada employee is changing hourly. Telework is my new reality. Group riding and group coffee? Not for a while.
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Given the USA Cycling decision, there’s a good chance that Cycling Canada will follow suit fairly soon. The BC Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, has recommended no group gatherings of more than 250, indoors or out. But if Cycling Canada recommends against club group rides, Cycling BC is likely to follow in short order, and the Provincial Health Officer’s recommendation will be moot. After all, we need our rides to be insured.

So, if you want a last club ride before we have to pull the plug for a temporary hiatus of unknown length, I’d recommend considering Tuesday to be that ride. Anything we get past that will be icing. We’ll likely continue holding rides until Cycling BC recommends against it.

Please don’t show up if you feel sick or have been in contact with someone with covid-19 symptoms. Also, while coffee is close to all our hearts, it’s probably best if we don’t do coffee after rides for the foreseeable future. Maybe swing by Moka on your own and drop a nice tip in the jar for our friends who we'll miss. :(

Best,
Martin
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Rides suspended indefinitely. See here: viewtopic.php?f=1&p=42450#p42450

Martin