Thurs TTT

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

JohnT

Thurs TTT

Post by JohnT »

I just sent this to a UVic project manager. There will be lane closures on the Ring Road this Thursday. The meno I received says they'll get started at 7 AM.

Dear David,

I am a BIOL prof, and also a cyclist. The club I belong to, Tripleshot Cycling, uses the Ring Road on Thursdays for Team Time Trial practise.
We're done by 7 am, but I thought I'd let you know that if you arrive Thursday morning to find the road 'littered' with cyclists, we'll be leaving just as you get started. These practises involve groups of 4 to 6 running in a line (we don't take up much space).

I will let everyone know that they should pay extra care this Thursday.

Cheers,

John
JohnT

Re: Thurs TTT

Post by JohnT »

A reply:

Morning Dr Taylor,

Thanks for the heads up, I will let the contractors know you will be out there. Please also let the club know that we will have steel plates down for a while, ultimately in three locations around Ring Road (not all at the same time).

Cheers
Best regards,

David Hill BA (Hon), PMP
Principal
COLLIERS PROJECT LEADERS
Mobile 250 580 4939
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

TTT updates

1. Steel plates are now in place on Ring Road. They are thick and they didn't have 'mini-ramps' yesterday afternoon.

2. TTT tentatively included in 2020 VCL racing calendar (July 12th).

I will have another look at the Ring Road today, but maybe we need an alternative for a while - major reconstruction at UVic for the next many months (new residence buildings going up). The box would be an easy switch. Another option is a 1/2 Ring Road loop - A little like the Wednesday Hills 'connector' between Sinclair and Mt. Tomlie... I believe that would miss the construction zone.

The July TTT isn't meant only for keener collecting VCL points...... everyone that does Thursdays (and others) should consider entering.

JT
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Any update on Ring Road?

Martin
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

The construction is right outside the building that I (and John D.) work in. I recommend staying away tomorrow and probably many Thursdays to come.

John
Louise Wallace

Post by Louise Wallace »

*I suggest going back to Beacon hill then. What do you think Martin?*

Sorry...just saw this. We'll see where people go! ;)

Martin
Ann

Post by Ann »

Update: As of this morning, there are two construction spots on Ring Road.

The first one is a steel plate spanning BOTH lanes, about 200 m into the start of our loops. The plate doesn't have an asphalt transition between the road and the plate, but it's not as bad as some that I have seen and we had no trouble going over it today.

The second one is a RIGHT lane closure from the first crosswalk at the McKinnon Gym to Gabriola Road (right after the McKinnon Gym). I have ridden past that lane closure in the daytime; the lane is very broken up with potholes, so that's probably why it's closed.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

FYI: as of today, Monday, plates are removed and road paved. I think you’re good to go TTT’ers.