Repeating GIFs

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Mike Frankenberger

Repeating GIFs

Post by Mike Frankenberger »

Can somebody help me turn off the repeating GIFs on my phone and in Safari on my laptop. I have tried everything. They honestly cause the forum to be usable for me. I get nauseous attempting to navigate around them. Sorry to be a pain but I’m being serious.
Rolf

Re: Repeating GIFs

Post by Rolf »

Hi Mike. It's unfortunate the GIFs are causing you discomfort. Johnny Tyre's latest made my stomach turn, too. But sometimes when true masters like Mikael or Greg use the medium, it's worth putting up with crude and hamfisted efforts from the rest of us.

Turning off GIFs is easy! First, open your User Control Panel by clicking on your name in the top right corner, after logging in:

Then:
  1. select the "Board Preferences" tab,
  2. select "Edit display options" from the choices on the left;
  3. click the No bubble for "Display images within posts"; and
  4. hit "Submit" at the bottom.

From now on, instead of seeing GIFs or images on the forum, you will instead just see the URL of the image file that the forum user inserted into their post.

Of course, this will effectively hide posts where people have shared beautiful images from cycling vacations, or posts featuring kit ideas, or sometimes even wordless posts featuring planned routes in photo form.

But everything has a price, I suppose.
Last edited by Rolf on Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Frankenberger

Post by Mike Frankenberger »

OMG Thank You Rolf!!!! You Rock!!!
Claire

Post by Claire »

OMG this is such a game-changer! I often pop on the site to check logistics but when in public (or work-) places, it can be erm... embarrassing. So, GIFs are off! I'm with ya, Mike.

Rejoice!
schouten

Post by schouten »

Conversely, is there an option to add more GIFs to posts?
Bandit
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

I’d like to post a gif about how excited I am that I can turn off gifs
Rob Duncan
schouten

Post by schouten »

Somethinig like this Rob?

Bandit
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Ron I actually love that.
Rob Duncan
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Mike Frankenberger wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:48 pm Can somebody help me turn off the repeating GIFs on my phone and in Safari on my laptop. I have tried everything. They honestly cause the forum to be usable for me. I get nauseous attempting to navigate around them. Sorry to be a pain but I’m being serious.
My apologies to you Mike Frankenberger. With your Cyclocross Subforum experience front of mind, and with the hope of actually seeing you out on a crossride someday, I will henceforth try and refrain from posting gifs. And Claire, I rejoice in your rejoicing - this is truly a wonderful moment. :D.
Last edited by JTyre on Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claire

Post by Claire »

I actually love that Rob loves that. And that I can't see it.
Claire

Post by Claire »

JTyre wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:52 pm
My apologies to you Mike Frankenberger. With your Cyclocross Subforum experience front of mind, and with the hope of actually seeing you out on a crossride someday, I will henceforth try and refrain from posting gifs. And Claire, I rejoice in your rejoicing - this is truly a wonderful moment. :D.
Hey, friends. Let's be...friends. Mike's request wasn't a slight against anyone here. There are people (cycling people...nice, fellow humans) who love riding bikes of all sorts (Mike among them - he's a darn fine cross rider and has joined several group rides on knobbies) but who don't want to play the giffy-game. It's not everyone's jam, and that's okay.

To each their own. I like cross bikes, I like bantering on the forum... I don't particularly like the gif thing so I'm glad I can opt to read all the helpful/funny/ridiculous things folks have to say (in words) with an option to click for more giffy-goofiness if the urge strikes.

Peace out.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

I hear you and don't disagree, Claire.
Alan

Post by Alan »