displaying number plates and bike racks

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Bosie

displaying number plates and bike racks

Post by Bosie »

Anyone have a good solution for displaying Number plates with bike racks?

Having a tow hitched bike rack means that the Number plate is not visible when its not holding bikes. Apparently this is something that is being ticketed these days. Given how much we use our bike rack, its impossible to take it off and on every time we dont use it to display the number plate.
Craig B.
1mjp1

Re: displaying number plates and bike racks

Post by 1mjp1 »

In Europe bike racks i saw bike racks equipped with rear lights and a license plate holders. You purchase a third plate for the rack. it should be an option here. Thule and Yakima both sell these sorts of racks there. I found them on Amazon.de.
Gerry L

Post by Gerry L »

I spoke with a Constable at the Saanich police station regarding license plates and bike carriers. He mentioned it was up to the discretion of the officer whether to issue a ticket for an obscured license plate. He mentioned the plate must be carried in the location provided by the vehicle manufacturer and locations such as a back window would not be acceptable. It seemed to be a non-issue with him regarding enforcement. I drive conservatively with bikes on my hitch mounted carrier to avoid rattling them around on bumps so am less likely to attract the attention of the police.

I cut and pasted relevant parts of the motor vehicle act below – they are quite vague.

Gerry

Number plates
12 (1) Each number plate must bear the licence number of the motor vehicle or trailer for which it is issued, and shall be of a material and design determined by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, and is and remains the property of the corporation.

(3) The number plate or number plates issued for a motor vehicle or trailer must be displayed on it in the manner prescribed by the regulations at all times while the motor vehicle or trailer is on a highway.

Offences
13 (1) A person commits an offence if the person drives, operates, parks or is in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer on a highway

(a) without the licence required by this Act for the operation of that motor vehicle or trailer having been first obtained and being then in force,

(b) without displaying on it, in the manner prescribed, the number plates issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer, or

(c) that has displayed on it a number plate other than those issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer.

(2) Every peace officer, officer or constable of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or the police department of a municipality or inspector authorized under section 217 (1) (a) to inspect motor vehicles may seize a number plate that he or she finds detached from a motor vehicle or trailer, or he or she finds displayed on a motor vehicle or trailer other than the one for which it was issued, or that is required under this Act or by a direction of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia to be surrendered, and may hold it until the receipt of instructions from the corporation as to its disposal.

(3) Subsection (2) applies in respect of number plates and motor vehicles whether on a highway or elsewhere, and for the purposes of that subsection an officer or constable of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or the police department of a municipality may enter without warrant the land or premises of any person on or in which there is a motor vehicle or trailer.

(4) Subsection (2) does not apply to dealers' number plates used as permitted by this Act or to number plates detached under the regulations.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Gerry L wrote:
{MOTOR VEHICLE ACT CHAPTER 318 [RSBC 1996]}

Number plates
12 (1) Each number plate must bear the licence number of the motor vehicle or trailer for which it is issued, and shall be of a material and design determined by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, and is and remains the property of the corporation.

(3) The number plate or number plates issued for a motor vehicle or trailer must be displayed on it in the manner prescribed by the regulations at all times while the motor vehicle or trailer is on a highway. [emphasis added]
Paragraph 3.03 of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulation B.C. Reg 26/58 says:
Plates to be unobstructed
3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign
material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times
and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed
monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the
Act.
*This ain't legal advice. Or offered on behalf of the Province etc.
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

it seems like an impossible task:
Cant have a bike rack with bikes on without obscuring the number plate, cant get a copy number plate to put it on the bike rack where it might be seen.
So basically you cant use a bike rack and stay within the law....
Craig B.
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

The way the law is written, it seems there's no winning. But the police have discretion. I have to imagine that your probability of receiving a ticket declines, the more you try to abide by the spirit of the law. So while displaying an extra plate might not guarantee that you avoid a ticket, I bet it helps.

Martin