The Other Sunday Cross Ride

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

wonger

The Other Sunday Cross Ride

Post by wonger »

We haven't got the time for Claire's Excellent Adventure tomorrow but would like to get out for a good spin. Mandy and I are planning to head out from Fairbucks at 7:30 to hit Royal Roads and the Langford/Glen Lake loop. Keeping it brisk with no exploration of new terrain in order to limit puppy damage to the household while gone. Anyone care to join?
Rolf

Re: The Other Sunday Cross Ride

Post by Rolf »

Keen to save some legs for Tuesday. Sounds ideal, Geoff.
mashby

Post by mashby »

This is a Mashby ride! (still too sore from most recent Tillicum bail to ride Hartland) Thanks for sharing, see you Sunday!
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Hi Geoff,

I'm under a harsh and untimely deadline at work. If I'm not there at 7:30 am just know that I would of if I could of - I love that route.

John

p.s. Puppy damage? I get it, and have recently-chewed-upon cycling gloves to prove it.
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Geoff, would this be a SB at 750 kind of meet up? I am a tentative yes and Greg may join for part since the kiddos will be home alone.

JT - an untimely work deadline only seconds before Christmas? WhoTH do you work for man? Satan himself? There is a chance G and I will be doing something shorter if that works better for you. Home alone kids and a desperate bid to get our house ready for Christmas might mean we are on more of a 7-9 schedule. Will depend how today goes. Will check in with you if we decide to that to see if that fits better with your work deadline.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

LouiseF wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:51 pm Will check in with you if we decide to that to see if that fits better with your work deadline.
Thanks, Louise. Depending on how things go today I'll either be all-in for Geoff and Mandy's ride or back in the office.

There are about a 100 climate scientists around the world working feverishly through the holidays to meet a January 12 deadline to submit the second order draft of a major assessment of global climate change*. There are also a lot of families that are royally pissed off at the world's governments for setting this deadline so close to the holidays. The only things that are keeping me sane at the moment (some might say, insane) are Jill, our regular cross rides, and dips into the forum on a hourly basis.

*The final report will be approved (or not) by the world's governments in early 2021. Here is the last such report from five years ago. For me, a few missed rides and holidays seem like small sacrifice when measured against a better understanding of the causes and consequences of global climate change.
Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Sounds great Geoff. I will join you at Starbucks.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Are you quite done, Greta? So ridiculous. Especially after all that ENSOpprobrium the other day.

Johnny Tyre must work on his Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill JT, Chill!!
mashby

Post by mashby »

JTyre wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:16 pm a better understanding of the causes and consequences of global climate change.
Reputable sources on the Internet say: "sunspots, and more sunspots". There. Now can you come out and play?
JaredB

Post by JaredB »

Hi Geoff & Other Sunday Cross Ride crew, would love to join you if it's an open invite.

PS - First forum post ever for me. What a rabbit hole this place is!
farhangj

Post by farhangj »

Hey Farhang here, I'd like to get out tomorrow with you guys, 730 Starbucks?
How many KMs/Hrs you guys guesstimate it'll take?
Cheers
benmoore

Post by benmoore »

This sounds real swell. I’ll be there for 7:30 👋🏻
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

Rolf wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:41 pm
Johnny Tyre must work on his Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill JT, Chill!!
Agreed on the movie therapy. Any movie you’d like to see, JT.

As long as it’s Star Wars Ep IX.
(Spoiler: there’s lots of light sabers and sh!t)
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Thank you for your wisdom, Rolf and Greg, but ...

Alan

Post by Alan »

I’m keen on the idea of a ride that turns out to be way longer than expected and the wind beneath my wings is me imagining Geoff’s puppy chewing the shit out of everything he owns.
Oh I soar...😝
Alan

Post by Alan »

Oh plus noting the proposed route into my dark past we will all get to listen to Johnny Fyfe retell my Royal Road’s cadet hazing stories with much more flavour than the originals. 🤫
wonger

Post by wonger »

Alan I'm so pleased that you are deriving vicarious joy from my dog. If only it was a two-way relationship. If you're free drop by at 3:00 am for a private audience as we will be in the yard spreading poo.

Newcomers we try to be the most inclusive club you've ever met, so feel free to join. I will say that this is a ride that requires a better than average level of fitness, bike handling skills that enable you to handle wet roots and rocks, loose gravel and other surprises and the ability to ride in a group. If any of those things are new to you, starting with one of the weekday rides would be a better introduction. If you have some experience but are new to the group thing you can always ride at the back of the group until you get comfortable. There will always be someone with you who can assist with tips and advice if needed.

The ride will be about 2.5 hours, close to 50 km's.

See you all tomorrow. Fairfield Starbucks at 7:30, Switch Bridge at 7:50ish