Terranova Ride Idea

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

schouten

Terranova Ride Idea

Post by schouten »

A few of us have talked about exploring more in the Sooke area and specifically tackling Terranova again. I've put together a very rough idea of what this ride could be:

https://www.strava.com/routes/20931823

I avoided routing us down to the Sea to Sea Trail head as that made for a pretty long slog to get back home. Instead it is more of an out and back route but I tried keep the redundancy to a minimum. Trailforks and Strava's Global Heatmap make this look fairly rideable but this route is still "reconnaissance" class. Input from experienced or budding bike route artists are welcome!!

If you re interested in the ride, please comment and we can find a date that works.

P.S. I'll throw some other ride ideas out there for Sunday as well.
Bandit
Rolf

Re: Terranova Ride Idea

Post by Rolf »

Would love to explore this area with you sometime, Ron! (I'm away this weekend, touring the Island's disc golf hotspots.) I wonder how to avoid the long, boring Goose commute out there and back. Short of driving out and starting in E. Sooke :roll: I can't think of anything. Keep up the mapgeekery!

But that beanied Oregonian and his facile, ridiculous observations had me gritting my teeth.
The way I approach it is like if I was not me and I was someone else, what would I want this other me to offer to me, and that would be: show me where the trail is—because I would like to check it out.
I thought he might be doing some ironic, hipster thing; but then that made the full nine minutes even more painful.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Nice route Ron, you're getting seriously skilled at this. Soon we can do away with Rolf except as rabbit. Even as rabbit I'm not sure Rolf has the same cross drive that he used to. Too much pampering?

Timing wise, I'm unavailable this Sunday, and the next five after that. Plan without me this time, but you can bet I'll want to ride that route at some point in the fall.
schouten

Post by schouten »

Rolf, I like the idea of driving it there too. But when I floated the idea of taking the family car on a Sunday morning bike ride I was looked at with exasperation. I'm totally fine milking a ride from someone else though. Hint hint.

I'll throw some dates together once we have an idea of rider interest. I'm still tuckered out from last Sundays ride and need something tamer for tomorrow.
Bandit
schouten

Post by schouten »

JT, I'm fine with pushing this ride into September. Could make for a good training ride for the Olympic Adventure trail (which is a training ride for the Cross Fondo - Woah, training inception), unless there is rider interest for August; in which case, I'll throw you under the bus.
Bandit
schouten

Post by schouten »

Bringing this back to the right thread...
JTyre wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:51 pm No worries, Ron, you can throw me under the bus anytime - I'm sure we'll get back there more than once again.

I hear what Rolf is saying about the video but I really enjoyed it all the same. "Mountain 'mother riders" - funny.
I think Rolf's real issue is he is repressing his inner hipster. Let it out man! Wear a toque ("beanie" - really?) and ironic moustache while complaining how you can't consume corporate coffee anymore.

JTyre wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:51 pm Portland area, that's somewhere I'd like to explore. Could take our bikes over on the Clipper and then Amtrak it to Portland in a flash -- do some trails in the day and hit the Portland music scene in the night. Please tell me what is wrong with this idea? Training ride for Terranova?
I'm in! Wait, I might need to clear that first...
Bandit
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

I missed Terra Nova last time due to rabbit issues (I'm sensing a theme...sadly). So I am definitely keen to do the next one. We are out of town the next two Sundays....Labour day weekend????

I'll ride from anywhere, boring goose or whatever....we could do some trails to millstream, bear mountain and over to sooke road on humpback as an alternative in one direction or another.

L3
mashby

Post by mashby »

I'm up for this ride. August 18 works best for me but I won't get fussy if it doesn't happen this weekend.

Suffering from too much pampering L3?
schouten

Post by schouten »

Okay, sounds like we can get a ride together. Based on the number of people offering to drive out to Sooke, I think cycling out to Terranova is in the cards (approx. 1 hr commute). Therefore, this is probably a 5hr ride that requires an early (6:00am) start with spousal support for a late return.

Please add your availability below (additional names welcome!):

Ron - Aug 18th, Sep 1st, Sep 8th
Rolf?
JT?
L3 - Sep 1st, more?
Mashby - Aug 18th, more?
Bandit