7th Annual Hurricane Ridge Club Ride

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Marcus

7th Annual Hurricane Ridge Club Ride

Post by Marcus »

Now that the big loop silliness is over, it might be time to consider riding up Hurricane Ridge with club members on Sunday, August 11th.

Participation is restricted to registered Tripleshot members. If you are not a member and want to ride with us, become a member now! If you show up but your name isn't on the club's membership list you will be responsible for paying the full cost of your trip.

Logistics: We will catch the 6:10 AM Coho Ferry to Port Angeles. In previous years most riders have returned to Victoria on the 12:45 PM ferry. A few riders will likely stay on and either go back up HR again or go "long and flat" before catching the 5:20 PM ferry home. The club will provide an awesome support vehicle that will carry water, electrolytes, some light food (hot dogs and chocolate milk at the top!), repair kit for flats and such, a first aid kit and a bike rack for emergencies. Should you wish, you can bring extra cycle clothing for what may be a chilly descent and a change of clothes for the journey home and put them in the support vehicle. If you choose to do this please make sure your bag is clearly labeled. The support vehicle will be returning on the 12:45 PM ferry and will be in the ferry holding area at 11:45.

Registration and Pricing: Last year the cost of the ferry for a walk on passenger, bicycle and park entrance fees including exchange rate was ostensibly $76 CDN. However, that cost did not take into account the entrance fee increase from $5 USD to $15 USD that was not known to us until arrival. So the cost of rider and bike was closer to $90 CDN. The cost of the ferry for the support vehicle and driver was in addition to that amount. The cost to club members was $40 (50% of the anticipated total rider and bike cost; incidentally, the total cost in year 1, 2013 was only $50 and the cost to club members was $25).

Given the cost increases, the 50% trip subsidy is not sustainable and no longer proportionate to the cost of being a club member. Accordingly, to make the cost more proportionate and to provide flexibility, this year the club will pay the cost of the park entrance fee ($15 USD, $21 CDN) and the cost of providing a support vehicle and sundries. This means that PARTICIPANTS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OBTAINING AND PAYING FOR THEIR OWN FERRY TICKETS (return cost is $51 USD or about $69 CDN).

Be Advised: The Park wardens have reminded us that helmets and front and rear lights are required (lights for the tunnels). They require us to ride single file up and down to stay out of the way of motor vehicles. Also, do not forget your passport and consider purchasing travel medical insurance.

Given the change in format, pre-payment through the club's online shop is not required. However, to facilitate planning and to ensure there are enough riders to justify the cost of providing a support vehicle (about a 20 rider minimum), if you intend to ride please copy this post and enter your name below it.

Thanks, Marcus
Ann

Re: 7th Annual Hurricane Ridge Club Ride

Post by Ann »

Starting the list...

Ann P
Garth C
Ddallin

Post by Ddallin »

Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
David Dallin
DeniseM

Post by DeniseM »

Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
Denise
Paul Chris

Post by Paul Chris »

Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
Denise
Paul C.
iabbott

Post by iabbott »

Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
Denise
Paul C.
Ian A
DarBro

Post by DarBro »

Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
Denise
Paul C.
Ian A
Darren B
Last edited by DarBro on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hi Darren. Please sign up when you know you intend to go. Sign up closes at 6 p.m on Friday, August 9.
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
Denise
Paul C.
Ian A
Darren B
Mark W
Murray

Post by Murray »

Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
Denise
Paul C.
Ian A
Darren B
Mark W
Murray T
David Karn

Post by David Karn »

I’m in
David Karn
Ovi

Post by Ovi »

I'm in unless it's snowing up there!
Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
Denise
Paul C.
Ian A
Darren B
Mark W
Murray T
David Karn
Ryley Rohan
Ovidiu (Ovi) S
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

If any C riders are interested, that's the pace I'm riding at these days. Sign up, let me know, and I'll join you!

It's a big hill, but not crazy steep. You just settle into a gear and pace yourself and eventually you reach the top. Views and descent are spectacular.

Martin
GarthC

Post by GarthC »

Dave Jetz and I are planning on riding up Hurricane Ridge and then to Obstruction Pt (gravel road) on our cx bikes if anyone else is interested in joining in.

Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
Denise
Paul C.
Ian A
Darren B
Mark W
Murray T
David Karn
Ryley Rohan
Ovidiu (Ovi) S
Dave Jetz
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
Denise
Paul C.
Ian A
Darren B
Mark W
Murray T
David Karn
Ryley Rohan
Ovidiu (Ovi) S
Dave Jetz
Marc
NickLosier

Post by NickLosier »

Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
Denise
Paul C.
Ian A
Darren B
Mark W
Murray T
David Karn
Ryley Rohan
Ovidiu (Ovi) S
Dave Jetz
Marc
Nic L
Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Ann P
Garth C
David Dallin+GoPro!
Denise
Paul C.
Ian A
Darren B
Mark W
Murray T
David Karn
Ryley Rohan
Ovidiu (Ovi) S
Dave Jetz
Marc
Nic
Dolly
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

The following is the US National Weather Service’s current forecast for Saturday night and Sunday:

Saturday Night: A 40 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 45. West wind 3 to 8 mph.

Sunday: A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 55.

One of the advantages of this year’s format that sees riders obtain and pay their own ferry ticket is flexibility. I.e. if the ride is postponed or cancelled there is no need for refunds. Of course if few riders show up, it is not useful to spend $300 on the return ferry cost of the support vehicle and sundries. Bearing in mind that the main benefit of having a support vehicle is the carriage of extra clothes, I am seeking the participant’s initial thoughts on whether you are likely to show up if the current forecast remains as is.

Thanks.
Paul Chris

Post by Paul Chris »

Due to circumstances beyond my control....the WEATHER,
I will pass on this years trip.
DeniseM

Post by DeniseM »

Hi Marcus,

I’ve been watching the forecast and wavering too... perhaps we can make the cut off call some point tomorrow? Maybe the forecast will be more definitive then?