Olympic Adventure Trail ride *UPDATED*

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Fozzy

Re: Reprise of the Olympic Adventure Trail ride

Post by Fozzy »

John: Yes.
Ron: Yes.
Rolf: Keen.
Alan: Yes ('cause he does what he's told).
Wonger: Interested, subject to date finalization.
Louise & Greg: Keen, but renovations and kids are issues.
Ann & Garth: No.
Rob D: yes. I get all giddy when things are planned in advance.
Neil: Yes (as long as it doesn't interfere with COTR)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Doing as I am told....
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Good response so far, and so let's take this a bit further, and see if folks are still interested in the adventure ride of their lives. In September, the earliest ferry departure from Victoria is 10:45 am, arriving in Port Angeles at 12:15 pm. For this reason this has to be an overnighter at the Log Cabin Resort on Lake Crescent.

Here are my proposed routes: Day 1: Saturday September 28, Day 2: Sunday September 29.

Notes:
  • On Day 1, I estimate we'd get to the resort no later the ~5 pm. The total distance is 48 kms with 36kms of those on single track trail. We could have dinner in the restaurant or we could share a communal dinner in one of the cabins. If the latter, then we'd need to cajole Jill into picking up groceries/beer/Jameson's and sheerpa'ing them to the resort by car.
  • On Day 2, we'd start riding at ~10 am and get to the Ferry by no later than ~4:00 pm in order to catch the return ferry at 5:20 pm. The total distance on Day 2 would be 72 km with 35 on single track trail. Those who need to return on the 12:45 pm Ferry could take this route in less than 2 hours.
  • For anyone coming, the understanding would have to be that we stay reasonably close as a group. You can rip these single track trails on a crossbike, but you can also very seriously injure yourself, with cliffs on the left and cliffs on the right. There are also bears and cougars in the area, judging by reports and scat we saw. The idea is for us to enjoy Nature, not Nature enjoy us.
  • The Log Cabin Resort has availability for Saturday September 28, but judging by how booked it gets, rooms/cabins need to be secured reasonably soon.
  • Strict adherence to the TS CX ethic of not taking ourselves too seriously and mocking others frequently would be a requirement of participation.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Ooo, look: maps!

Is there a reason you wouldn't want to reverse these and do the longer leg on Saturday? You'd still be putting your feet up on the lakeshore before dusk... and then the big climbing day of 2,200m would come first on fresher legs, and the easier 1,300m day would follow second. Plus: riding the southern shores of Lake Crescent into Saturday's setting sun could make for some purdier light than riding it east Sunday morning when the sun will still be faffing about behind the Olympics. I dunno. It'll probably pee with rain anyway. :mrgreen:

I may yet be stuck at home with my knitting, but I can't help the compulsion to engage in route planning. :oops:
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

That's an interesting idea, Rolf.

My main consideration for the shorter leg on Saturday is timing. When we did that leg in June, I think it took us around 5 hours, including plenty of wait-ups, a couple of minor mechanicals, and a crash. This means we may be rolling into the resort as late as 6 pm, and the sun will be setting at 7 pm. I don't think we can do the long leg on the first day.

Please **** *** with the suggestion that you may not be coming. You are coming, even if I have to march over and sweet talk Maia and the kids myself. They could even join Jill for the drive over. (Maybe Greg and Louise could think of something along these lines too.)
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

JT, are you offering up Jill's kidsitting services as well as sherpa and grocery shopper?
wonger

Post by wonger »

I've recruited my wife to join us on this adventure. You're welcome.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

wonger wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:13 am I've recruited my wife to join us on this adventure. You're welcome.
Awesome!
JTyre

Olympic Adventure Trail ride *UPDATED*

Post by JTyre »

Latest list of crazies

John & Jill (car): Yes
Ron: Yes
Alan: Yes
Rob: Yes
Geoff & Mandy: Yes
Neil: Yes
Rolf: Maybe
Louise & Greg: Maybe

Latest details

For Jill, I, and two other lucky ones I have booked a two bedroom non-kitchenette cabin with a private bathroom and shower (queen, double, sofa sleeper) for $212 USD. If you start being nice to me you can bunk with us, otherwise you should SOON book a two bedroom non-kitchenette cabin or chalet (this is all they have left). You can book online here or by phone here: 1-885-584-5293. There is a one night deposit refundable 7 days in advance with a $25 USD cancellation charge and a 10% reusable booking fee. You can drop off what you need at our house the night before (e.g., clothes, bathing suit, booze, guitars). The resort has a decent restaurant and convenience store.

If Alan, bunks in our cabin I hope he sleeps well,

Rolf

Re: Olympic Adventure Trail ride *UPDATED*

Post by Rolf »

Dibs on J&J’s double.
schouten

Post by schouten »

Head to toe Rolf?
Bandit
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

Just keep it down, k? Alan, no fiddling after 9pm!
We’re bringing the kids and if they don’t get enough sleep, heaven help us all...
schouten

Post by schouten »

Is anyone else looking to share accommodation? Please reply if your want to share a room and I can look into booking another cabin or chalet even.
Bandit
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

JT and I had the same lightbulb moment when we both, in separate provinces on different time zones, realized that this adventures involves TWO rides and there are TWO of us. So we are booked in one of the cabins as well and we'd love to have a slumber party Ron but we will be bringing the smaller ones along and taking turns keeping Jill company in the support vehicle.
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

Plus, we really should probably keep our kids’ bedtime routines secret:
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Speak'n bout kids, can't wait to see how Rolf and Alan manage bunk'n together,

schouten

Post by schouten »

LouiseF wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:03 pm JT and I had the same lightbulb moment when we both, in separate provinces on different time zones, realized that this adventures involves TWO rides and there are TWO of us. So we are booked in one of the cabins as well and we'd love to have a slumber party Ron but we will be bringing the smaller ones along and taking turns keeping Jill company in the support vehicle.
I think that is best for all involved! I'll look for a propane tank, but in the meantime perhaps Neil, Wonger, Rob, Geoffy or Mandy will need accommodation.

Bueller, anybody, Bueller?
Bandit
schouten

Post by schouten »

I've thrown caution to the wind and booked an A-Frame Chalet (2 double beds) for September 28/29th. I'm happy to share the other bed and cram more people in as required.
Last edited by schouten on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandit
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

No questions asked!
NickLosier

Post by NickLosier »

schouten wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:21 pm I've thrown caution to the wind and booked an A-Frame Chalet (2 double beds) for September 28/29th. I'm happy to share the other bed and cram more people in as required.
Tell me more about this other bed.....