Big Loop Ride July 28

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

LouiseF

Re: Big Loop Ride July 28

Post by LouiseF »

Ditto Claire and JT. Fully support Andrew's suggestions and I think it is especially good to give folks the opportunity to group change at stops if they want to.

I am assuming that most of us don't ride 200+ K regularly (although I know there are a few of you who do) but I would anticipate that each pace description (A2/B1, B2, B3/C) would be a toned version of the morning rides since those are short and sweet. It'll be more enjoyable if it isn't a death march at the end (coming from the person who isn't going all the way to then end but fears a death march anyway). I'll be thinking of you truly hard core types as I float on my paddle board in Lake Cowichan.

I'd like to suggest downhill regroups too. I have absolutely no intention of hitting 90 kph on the downhills (I know some folks did last year).

Look forward to seeing you all bright and early. So early...... :shock:
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Having driven the food truck three times, I can say in my opinion the best thank you that you can give Steve is to do as Andrew and Claire suggest and reconvene or overlap at the first three stops. If reconvening doesn't happen it is quite difficult to get ahead of the first group while still supporting the last group at the previous stop especially as the ride progresses to Lake Cowichan. If the faster riders don't want to wait as long at the first stop one possibility might be to have an extra cup of coffee at the start. Also, Steve has a few ride cue sheets for those unfamiliar with the route. I looked at last year's data. The overall time for the B2 group to Jordan River was 3 hrs 20 min including the Sooke stop. Overall time to Port Renfrew was 4 hrs 48 min. Overall time to Lake Cowichan was 7 hrs 54 min. For and if slower riders should

Marcus
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I will retry.

Having driven the food truck three times, I can say in my opinion the best thank you that you can give Steve is to do as Andrew and Claire suggest and reconvene or overlap at the first three stops. If reconvening doesn't happen it is quite difficult to get ahead of the first group while still supporting the last group at the previous stop especially as the ride progresses to Lake Cowichan. If the faster riders don't want to wait as long at the first stop one possibility might be to have an extra cup of coffee at the start. Also, Steve has a few ride cue sheets for those unfamiliar with the route.

I looked at last year's data. The overall time for the B2 group to Jordan River was 3 hrs 20 min including the Sooke stop. Overall time to Port Renfrew including both stops was 4 hrs 48 min. Overall time to Lake Cowichan including all stops was 7 hrs 54 min. The ride time from Lake Cowichan to the Mill Bay ferry was 2 and 1/2 hours. So the C3 group should probably leave Lake Cowichan 3 hours in advance of the Mill Bay ferry crossing that they plan to take (5:20 or 6:30)

Marcus
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Fun starting out with the C's and B's this morning and then heading home through Metchosin. Congrats to all who kept going and rode longer than they ever have. I made a raw edit (no music) of the pre-ride venerations and some of the early going.

Also: here is the Tripleshot Cycling Photos gallery for today's ride, waiting for your uploads (password is [check the latest Rivet].)

If you're reading this on your phone, hit this direct upload link and start sharing all that awesome photo and video!
Last edited by Rolf on Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks a lot for posting this Rolf. Once you deliver your baby, you can join us on a longish ride like this. :roll:
It was a great ride, and uneventful, if you describe "uneventful" as something that had no crashes and no fist fights, and everyone who started it made it to the ferry back to God's country. Only three flats in three relatively even groups, with superb weather and the usual exquisite camaraderie, which remains the envy of every cycling club on the planet.

Special shout out to Steve and Kara, and Gerry for driving the whole way, providing support and keeping this fine annual ride something that every Tripleshotter should try at least once! And a special thanks to the Tripleshot board for agreeing to subsidize a very large and very tasty bag of Hawkins Cheezies which fuelled us to the Mill Bay Ferry.
cheezies.jpg
Claire

Post by Claire »

Alan wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:28 pm And a special thanks to the Tripleshot board for agreeing to subsidize a very large and very tasty bag of Hawkins Cheezies which fuelled us to the Mill Bay Ferry.

cheezies.jpg
Hey, I'm a fully paid up club member. Where are my Cheezies? Must've been the little crumbs under my feet outside the porta-potty at the terminal. That'll teach me to ignore free food... :roll:

Yes, big thanks to Steve, Kara, Gerry and the foodmobile! New snacks at every stop - very classy!

(Rolf - I'll be uploading pics shortly.)
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Steve, Kara, Gerry: You are my new BFF's.

As for all of you awesome riders, here are my nominations (add to the list as you see fit):

1. Most combative: Jim W.
2. Most patient: Louise W.
3. Top perseverance (and flaggelance): Todd H.
4. Earliest solo ride on the Mill Bay Ferry: Steve L.
5. Tightest corset: Rolf W.

For further details and gossip, please PM me.
afcook

Post by afcook »

My sincerest thank you to all involved in the Big Loop Ride. The volunteers, organization, food, and support were superb. The riding, vistas and scenery were stunning. Most of all, the people of Tripleshot Club made this a wonderful memorable day in my life.
My heartfelt thanks to everyone.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Hi All,
What an awesome day ... epic I'd say in every way!
Many thanks to the club and to Kara, Steve and Gerry for all the support along the route!!
Steve May
myboys

Thanks to our super support teams!

Post by myboys »

To Gerry,
I think you saved a life when you let me into your vehicle at the top of the Lake Cowichan pass. I was melting, and losing it. But you calmly led me into your car and turned the air conditioning on max. And you are excellent company to boot!

Steve, and Kara,
Thank-you for being at the designated stops with such great food. The chocolate milk was an unexpected bonus. I think I ate my weight in food Sunday. It's so awesome having such great support year, after year. Thank-you so much!

Mary