Olympic Adventure Trail ride *UPDATED*

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

JTyre

Olympic Adventure Trail ride *UPDATED*

Post by JTyre »

There have been rumblings from several quarters of a return trip to the Olympic Adventure Trail.

What about in the Fall as a prelude to the CrossFondo? In that case, the ferry schedule would dictate staying overnight here or here. Both the "here's" are booked until the weekend of Sept. 28-29. A tentative plan would be to take the 10:30 am ferry on Sat. Sept. 28 to Port Angeles and ride to one of the "here's" (probably the first given the distance to the second), and return the next day on the 12:45 pm or 5:20 pm ferry. The following weekend is also an option with the return at 2:00 pm (the schedule changes).

Please note here if you're interested.
Last edited by JTyre on Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mashby

Re: Reprise of the Olympic Adventure Trail ride

Post by mashby »

I also heard a rumour of this on August 11th to coincide with the Hurricaine Ridge ride. Presumably the august sched. could avoid the overnight.
schouten

Post by schouten »

I'm in
Bandit
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

mashby wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:49 pm I also heard a rumour of this on August 11th to coincide with the Hurricaine Ridge ride. Presumably the august sched. could avoid the overnight.
I have heard that rumour too, and yes it would avoid the overnight. However, having done the ride just a few weeks ago I'm personally less interested in an August 11 trip. The coincide with the Hurricane Ridge ride is a little artificial since all we would be doing is sharing the ferry over. The roadies will be coming back on the 12:45 pm ferry, and us on the 5:20 pm ferry.

I see an overnight stay as a feature of the ride I'm proposing, especially if we could make to the Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort, with some further adventuring on the second day. Late September is also more in the cross season.

Lets see what the other crossdressers have to say.
Ann

Post by Ann »

JT, as I think you know, Garth and I are both very interested in this ride! However, we are both unavailable Sep 28/29 and he is unavailable Oct 5/6. But obviously you should go ahead without us if you can. :D
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

OK, thanks Ann. If you and Garth are aiming for August 11, I'm sure you'd find some other takers.

p.s. Nice avatar, spooky sweatshirt, but nice :).
Ann

Post by Ann »

JTyre wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:04 pm p.s. Nice avatar, spooky sweatshirt, but nice :).
Ha, thanks. All credit for the avatar goes to my 16-year-old artist-in-residence.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Ann wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:14 pm Ha, thanks. All credit for the avatar goes to my 16-year-old artist-in-residence.
Does your artist-in-residence work on contact? I need an avatar, and have a mind a little viking dude wielding a sword. I'll pay big bucks.
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Does your artist-in-residence work on contact? I need an avatar, and have a mind a little viking dude wielding a sword. I'll pay big bucks.
I will take the Viking for big bucks plus
Mikael
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

Ya gotta love the Bearded One! Immediate commitment!

Anyone: I was thinking of cyclocrossing....
Ron: I’m in!
Anyone: ... from here to Nunavut wearing only bearskin chamois and sleeping under propane tanks.
Ron: Still in!

Last edited by Greg F on Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

OMG Greg, so funny! Likely the post of the year once once again.

I give up, and will start releasing my backup gifs whether they make sense or not.

LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

What an awesome idea! If a date can be nailed down soon we'll get to work trying to find a willing grandparent who might be able to fly out and babysit so we could both (gasp!) come on this epic adventure. At the moment both weekends are open for us and this would make a nice slightly belated birthday get away for Greg.

Maybe if the venue is dog friendly, we could even get said grandparent to drive out to the lodge with kids and dog and everyone's gear!!!!

Of course we're happy to leave them all at home too...just thinking about the logistics of transporting some gear on the trail. Ron knows that I like to bring a lot of stuff and that is just for a day trip.

Keep us in the loop!
wonger

Post by wonger »

I'm interested, pending date finalization. One thing to consider is the COTR race on the October weekend.
schouten

Post by schouten »

Greg F wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:41 pm Anyone: ... from here to Nunavut wearing only bearskin chamois and sleeping under propane tanks.
Ron: Still in!
That better be a real ride Greg. Don't toy with me!
Bandit
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I’m keen!

(And I already know where I’ll carry my backup chamois if the Lougre supply caravan can’t breach the border.)
schouten

Post by schouten »

As I sit on the warm beach, gazing upon the the turtles and contemplating this ride, I'm struck by Greg's profound desire to sleep beneath propane tanks. This overnighter ride would be an excellent opportunity Greg, but perhaps not as easily embraced by the rest of the troop. Perhaps by keeping this ride sufficiently epic you will still be satisfied. To this end I propose targeting the further destination. I suspect we missed some killer trails by doubling back at the Log Cabin Resort.

I will resume zen navel gazing and focus on growing my beard.

Bandit
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

We’re still keen, tho not as sure given the timing of our reno’s.

Watching everyone death-march their way thru the BLR inspired me to look at our BRMB book.

I present to you: the BrDrOLR! (Bigger, Dumber Off-roader Loop Ride)

Past Jordan River, there’s an ATV track that Ends at Sombrio Beach. There might be other logging roads that skirt the 14 (hard to tell from the scale). Beyond Port Renfrew, the logging road that leads to Avatar Grove keeps going to a spot called Golden River then beyond to Caycuse. Then, naturally, we’d have to loop around Lake Cow thru Youbou then onto the Great Canada Trail, down over Kinsol Trestle then over a few, small hills to Langford.

Easy peasy.

Preps to include binge-watching “Survivorman”, practicing application of splints onto each other, setting snares for small game, and learning hypnosis (in order to convince others to join us and spouses to allow this to occur).
schouten

Post by schouten »

I'm there in spirit, but before I give you the customary, "I'm in," can you post the proposed route? If I recall, the big loop ride is about 280km, which, as a cross ride would be insane for a single day... Not that I'm calling names...
Bandit
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Given my travels and the COTR schedule, the weekend of Sep. 28-29 is only one available for me to return to the Olympic Discover Trail. As I said earlier, the idea would be to take the 10:20 am ferry over (on the 28th), and the 12:45 am or 5:20 pm ferry back (on the 29th). Jill would probably drive over with us and provide support (you're the greatest, Jill).

In terms of potential riders on that weekend, here is what I know so far:

John: Yes.
Ron: Yes.
Rolf: Keen.
Alan: Yes ('cause he does what he's told).
Wonger: Interested, subject to date finalization.
Louise & Greg: Keen, but renovations and kids are issues.
Ann & Garth: No.

Please add or subtract to the list above. Depending on the responses over the next couple weeks, we can decide whether to move forward or pull the plug.
Last edited by JTyre on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

John: Yes.
Ron: Yes.
Rolf: Keen.
Alan: Yes ('cause he does what he's told).
Wonger: Interested, subject to date finalization.
Louise & Greg: Keen, but renovations and kids are issues.
Ann & Garth: No.
Rob D: yes. I get all giddy when things are planned in advance.
Rob Duncan