Hills 10 Feb

Moderator: mfarnham

Plawless

Hills 10 Feb

Post by Plawless »

So Alan and I did 10 x Tolmie. Alan is an animal. It was pretty disheartening to see him take 10-20 secs out of me each repeat. But at the same time - awesome for Al!

my stats are here: http://connect.garmin.com/player/24384806

Intersting that the first 9 were in the 3:04-3:17 range with 1:20-1:24 recovery on each descent. Then for lap 10 I started at the bottom with Roland on my wheel and when he attacked at the first left I decided to try to stick with him. He got away a bit on the steep bit but I closed to his wheel on the flat middle part (where my HR was typically dipping - that must mean something about effort on the flatter sections!). He attacked again around the last right and I slowly closed in the last 50m. I almost had him when his last 5 pedal strokes kept him ahead. BLECH!

Time for final ascent - 2:47

2 things I learned:

1. Have to keep the pressure on for the whole hill - dont rest in the middle of Tolmie;
2. Its WAY "easier" to go harder when feeling "race-like".
Rolf

Re: Hills 10 Feb

Post by Rolf »

2 things I learned today:

1. Always rest in the middle of Tolmie - or else you will almost fall off your bike when your speed hits 2.5 km/h on the final incline; and
2. Always skip Sinclair and do half the workout everyone else does so you can childishly win the downhill sprint to Pure Vanilla against guys who aren't trying very hard. :D

Thanks, Rita, for staying with me on Caddy Bay; it was nice to have company for a change! (I'm accustomed on Wednesdays to enjoying the view of far-off, twinkly red lights in a solo haze.)
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

For anything less than about 8 minutes or so, I find I can do ascents way faster if I set a hard, steady pace right from the bottom, and just try to hold on. If I try to pace it and go harder at the top, I always end up with a much slower time. I think it has to do with it being more of a steady state effort, with your oxygen intake and demand reaching a steady state equilibrium. When you attack and rest, every time you attack, there's a lag in your heartrate getting back up to speed and matching the oxygen production your muscles are demanding, and during that time you are effectively way over your lactate threshhold. Makes sense to me at least... :)
My best time on the observatory, for example, is 5:38, going as hard as I can right from the gate. So far, my best ever time when I attempted to pace by heartrate, and attack at the buildings is 6:03.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Pace in efforts from 2 min to 10 min is a funny thing. The fastest pursuits (~5 min) are always steady, with a small negative split; i.e faster at the end. The pace at the start of a pursuit on a even split schedule feels very slow, negative split even slower. But you don't drown in lactate until very late in the race.

Climbing is more difficult because the pitch changes. But physics would suggest the fastest steady effort is the fastest. Accelerations should slow you down.

But that doesn't matter as long as you crush your opponent's spirit and win. :wink: Right Pete? Also, accelerations are easier for a smaller person than a big guy, as Peter also noted. Good tactics Roland!
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
cashman

Post by cashman »

Came across the website which shows a ride last year July 20, 2009 from Montélimar -> Le Mont Ventoux : 170 km, once you see the pics you will recognize this if not by the names listed but by the scenery and we all know which race this ride incorporates :D

Link: http://www.velovelo.com/article.php3?id_article=6798

What is totally amazing and this will make us all eat humble pie and quit our whining when riding hills get too tough (whaaaa) is this cyclist rides the ride with ONE LEG.........

Frikin amazing!!!
Attachments
Mt Ventoux.jpg
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT!"
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

I had a great morning, I'm actually starting to enjoy Hills day. 5 Caddys, and gave it hard up for the last two, Ran over some sort of furry speed bump(I think it was either a cat or a rabbit) on the top on Sinclair. Then during what is becoming common place the Pure Vanilla sprint, I was leading until Peter blew by me laughing, I think he said something to effect of "outta my way junior", I though he was gonna take it but then Rolf the carpenter Warburton (named the Carpenter cause he sure knows how to Hammer!!) edged peter out in the end.
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
Greg Miller

Post by Greg Miller »

I learned today the folly of trying to keep pace with John on hills... I held on for Caddy Bay and Sinclair repeats, but by the time we got to Tolmie I started seeing dark patches as he disappeared up the hill, even though daylight was starting to show. Luckily I had to leave after one climb....
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Thanks for the (possibly unearned) props, Jeremy.
jeremy wrote:Ran over some sort of furry speed bump(I think it was either a cat or a rabbit) on the top on Sinclair.
Did you check with Peter? I noticed at coffee his toupée was missing.