Sunday, March 10 - BIG ride

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

schouten

Sunday, March 10 - BIG ride

Post by schouten »

I'm thinking of doing a slightly larger ride than usual this Sunday (penance for postponing my ride to N. Van) out to some undiscovered trails this side of the Sooke Potholes. Plotting the route using plotaroute.com is proving frustrating so I'll do my best to describe it:
  • Fairfield Starbucks -> E&N -> Sooke Rd. -> to Terra Nova trail head (off Highway 14, southwest of Humpback reservoir) ~ 25km
  • Terra Nova -> Sooke Mountain Park Rd (South bound) to a mess of trails -> Sea to Sea Regional Trail Head ~ fun/far/tiring?
  • Sea to Sea Regional Trail Head -> Galloping Goose -> Pluto's ~ 40km
So, as you can see this is a bigger ride and might not work if you are running a tight schedule (i.e. get spousal permission). But I haven't ridden those trails and the anticipation of what it could be is driving me bonkers.

Any takers?
Bandit
Rolf

Re: Sunday, March 10 - BIG ride

Post by Rolf »

Ears twitching, one eyebrow raised...

Got a time estimate, +/- 2 hrs. even? Expectations need be managed.
Ann

Post by Ann »

I'm just a lurker this time--definitely don't have time for a long ride Sunday--but I was curious about the Terra Nova trail so I googled it:

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/terra-nova-16816/

I've used TrailForks on my phone but didn't think to look for a website version. Wow, there's lots of info there! Note the reports and comments (recent ones from this January) about trees down, but I guess it's possible they've been cleared by now.
schouten

Post by schouten »

Rolf wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:40 pm Ears twitching, one eyebrow raised...

Got a time estimate, +/- 2 hrs. even? Expectations need be managed.
5-6 hours is my guess. Depends on how quickly we commute and then the trail conditions.
Bandit
schouten

Post by schouten »

Ann wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:50 pm I'm just a lurker this time--definitely don't have time for a long ride Sunday--but I was curious about the Terra Nova trail so I googled it:
Too bad. One day we'll ride again!
https://www.trailforks.com/trails/terra-nova-16816/

I've used TrailForks on my phone but didn't think to look for a website version. Wow, there's lots of info there! Note the reports and comments (recent ones from this January) about trees down, but I guess it's possible they've been cleared by now.
Yes. But it wouldn't be CX without some hike-a-bike!
Bandit
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Not for me Ron, but looking forward to your report. Here's a video of Terra Nova.

John
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I'm just as curious about that whole region, Ron! Looking at the maps of Terra Nova reminded me of the Nature Trails vision for a South Loop that connects Langford with Leechtown via the Sea to Sea. Have a look at some of these "visionary" projections.

But timing it out for tomorrow—given that we also lose an hour to DST (making an extra early start even extra earlier! :shock: )—I think the 50K of commuting there and back are still my stumbling block.

Alan's nephew is a keen MTB'er who lives out in Sooke and rides Harbourview all the time. Maybe the thing to do would be to organize a guided tour some day and just drive out to the start? I dunno...
schouten

Post by schouten »

Yes, the switch to daylight savings is a problematic and makes an early start even harder. However, I think we can get to the Terra Nova trail head in about an hour. The amount of trail riding and the commute back make it lengthy.

I'm all for scheduling this for another day too. It needs to be done one day though.
Bandit
schouten

Post by schouten »

Rolf wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:44 am Have a look at some of these "visionary" projections.
Wow! Who do we pay to get this done?
Bandit
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

But if not Sooke Hills (this weekend), then where?

What about a little Royal Roads -> Langford Lake -> South Thetis action commencing at 7:30 am from Fairfield Starbucks? That suggested, I don't really care where, as long it's within a few hours and there's the usual aimless conversation and crispy bacon at the end.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Sounds good, JT. I gotta brunch at 11, so need be back home by 10:30. (Feels like 9:30; ugh.)
schouten

Post by schouten »

I'm gonna leverage you guys to get my arse out of bed but might peel off to undiscovered territory...
Bandit
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Before the memory of yesterday's fun, fast spin melts into the blurry past, I have to note Joe B.'s apparently spontaneous decision at Starbucks to eschew the predictable Sunday social and join us CX nutters for a spin round Royal Roads and the Lakes District of the Western Communities.

Of the 54.6 km between Fairfield Starbucks and Fantastico, only 13.8 km were on actual road. And Joe did it on these puppies (a good reminder to cross-curious roadies (and all of us, really) that you should never let the shape or size of your tools hold you back from living out your dreams 8) ):