Wednesday, February 13 - Snow Farming

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Wednesday, February 13 - Snow Farming

Post by Rolf »

This morning was crazy fun *and* a great interval workout! The MTBs seemed a little more stable, but the CX bikes kept up just fine.

With temps staying low (but not too low!) and a few more snow showers possible overnight, tomorrow’s conditions should be darn similar.

Bring your fattest tires to church: 6 a.m. Richmond and Richardson. 8)
Greg F

Re: Wednesday, February 13 - Snow Farming

Post by Greg F »

How was the slushiness down South? If the snow wasn’t too deep, it was rideable: Haro Woods wasn’t too too bad so it might not be bad on other trails but open fields were incredibly hard while the roads had an under layer of slush that added all sorts of excitement:
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

I'm guessing this will not be the usual FCX route, heading up Shelbourne to Mt. Doug; you'll be staying South?
Alan

Post by Alan »

We had tons o fun this morning. Can't wait to see the video, Rolf.

This was me 'n' Johnny Tyre hitching a ride home from coffee, Saskatchewan style...

JamesD

Post by JamesD »

I can’t make it tomorrow but have fun!
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Today’s 15K ride felt like about 40, Louise; it takes so much effort to smash through the deeper stuff. So we’ll probably skip the full Shelbourne warmup.

However, there was a distinctive warmup and melt on today. This could mean main roads are more clear and running faster tomorrow—allowing us to get around better. It could also mean unsalted side roads are even more treacherous if the meltwater refreeezes.

I’d suggest making UVic our destination, maybe taking the Foul Bay corridor to get there. The campus offers a mix of good trails, level terrain, open fields to carve fresh tracks, and some cleared and salted roads and footpaths to get around. Wanna meet us there, L3? Cedar Hill X Rd. entrance at 6:30?
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Simmer down, Tyre. Raw clips are assembled—now for timing the cuts and picking a chewn. Music suggestions welcome.

But nag me more and I will blow my nose on you on our next ride. On purpose.

LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Good plan. I'll be there - Assuming there isn't ice everywhere. Assuming the DRLR on my vintage SC Blur stays intact.

You know what they say about assume-ing....
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Here you go, you impatient young man.

Forgot to take the GoPro off Superwide after filming the kid skateboarding; so we're all squishy. Also: I'm considering Johnny Cash to be a placeholder...
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Well done once again, Rolf!

Excellent capture of Ace "walking the line" a little too finely on the Moss Street Connector, and just about Johnny Cashing his chips in early on that bollard.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I think I might have crashed 5 times this morning. But falling into nice fluffy snow is a real treat.
And the landings are really quite elegant, comme ca....