Friday, February 8 - SnowCross! - A Perfectly Timed "Winter Bike to Work Day"

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Friday, February 8 - SnowCross! - A Perfectly Timed "Winter Bike to Work Day"

Post by Rolf »

Get out your balaclava and fattest tires, drop that pressure, and get ready to relax and avoid your front brake completely! (More tips on safe snow/ice riding here).

Friday is International Winter Bike to Work Day. Victoria is currently ranked 10th by participation on a list of global cities (see graphic below)—behind yanks, Poles, Croatians, Montrealers, and Winnipeggers. Consider hitting the link and adding your ride commitment to those of over 8,000 riders worldwide...

Thoughts on a route tomorrow: if Victoria does disappear overnight in a lovely white blanket, we probably want to favour tree-covered trails which have a better chance of being snow-free. UVic/Henderson fit the bill; but the occasional road connections to get there and back down to James Bay/Cook St. may be unattractive. The alternative is probably to tiptoe to Beacon Hill and repeat the Tuesday crew's play in the park.

Post thoughts here, or let's discuss more at 6 under the roof at Oak Bay High. If things look really gnarly outside, break out the MTBs... :shock: :lol:

Ann

Re: Friday, February 8 - SnowCross! - A Perfectly Timed "Winter Bike to Work Day"

Post by Ann »

I am a maybe and yes, I'm thinking of bringing my MTB. Can I assume that for this week (due to snow) you are dropping the "Friday's ride will be fast" plan? :)
Rolf

Re: Friday, February 8 - SnowCross! - A Perfectly Timed "Winter Bike to Work Day"

Post by Rolf »

OhmywordYes! If this isn't just another false Snowmaggedon warning, tomorrow's challenge need only be the mere act of leaving the house on two wheels. :D
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

I would love to play in the snow, but I’ll be on the ferry tomorrow morning. I’d say it probably won’t have snowed much at all early tomorrow. Have fun.
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

What’s this “under trees, less snow” business??

I say BRING IT!!
Ann

Post by Ann »

I just checked the forecast and now it’s not supposed to snow until 9 am.
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Hi Rolf,
Is it a Fast Friday if there is no snow?

Mikael
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I don't think I decide that alone, Mikael. But given uncertainty around conditions, my vote would be to ride as one big, happy family, regardless. :D

Greg F

Post by Greg F »

I'd say that was family-friendly...

(for some families!)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Yes, entirely family-friendly. Until Alan pulled out the heavy equipment and performed feats of strength with his bare hands.

Too bad about the snow, though. Fingers crossed for a chance to make tracks on Sunday (or later today)...