Sunday, February 3 - Bear Bights Snow Partridge?

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Sunday, February 3 - Bear Bights Snow Partridge?

Post by Rolf »

If you can't spend 10 hours with Dave A. & co. pretending you're a logging truck :shock: on Saturday, why not spend a leisurely 4 hours early Sunday doing a big ol' lap of Victoria's greenspaces? Sure, it may be snowing a bit—or just pouring rain and 2 degrees—but since when has that put a damper on a Tripleshot ride? :twisted:

Sunday's proposed route runs out to Bear Mountain and Finny, through Millstream, Hazlitt, Ross-Durrance, and down to McKenzie Bight, around Willis Point and back via the hindside of Partridge Hills, Elk Lake, and Colquitz. It’s about 67K from Pareto to Pluto's, with about 30K of that unpaved. It's quite climb-y, with nearly 1300m of vertical—but happily some of that uphill is paved (e.g. Willis Pt.) :P

Given that this route is 10-35% longer and 25-50% more vertical than our usual Sunday fare, I'll suggest a 6:30 start from Fort & Richmond. :shock: Brunch at Pluto's or like substitute around 10:30 or so...

Given forecast conditions, there’s a 43% chance the route will end up abbreviated (or cancelled outright if Johnny Tyre steps outside in his negligée at 6 a.m. and sees his breath.)

This will of course be a friendly, no-drop ride with footsies-down whenever needed. But if you haven't been doing much climbing or riding mixed terrain for 3+ hours recently, you may at times be a tiny little bit miserable. :D :D :D
Alan

Re: Sunday, February 3 - Bear Bights Snow Partridge?

Post by Alan »

I could so be into that kinda ride, unless of course I have something more interesting to deal with in my ear....

schouten

Post by schouten »

This dwarf is in.
Bandit
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

JTyre

Post by JTyre »

NickLosier

Post by NickLosier »

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Have you already forgotten how early we got up on a black and freezing Sunday morning? How I got us lost while pretending to be a golf cart? Or how Todd was the only one brave enough to ride through that creek (results below)? :D

Well, as the Traveling Wilburys say: It’s Aaaaall Right! 8) With this handy, 3:27-long ride video, you can forever savour those special frozen memories of getting lost in the woods! :oops:

Here are a couple of low-res teaser GIFs from Rowntree Road and Mill Stream (with misleading captions)...

Alan

Post by Alan »

That was so worth watching Todd fall into the creek.
Usually happens to me. You know what they say: "If a cyclecross rider falls in a forest, and there's no one there to record his cries of anguish, did he make a sound?"

Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Fantastic video Rolf.

Mikael
schouten

Post by schouten »

Great video Rolf. I'll have to reduce my donut consumption to 2 per day to get into spring riding condition.
Bandit