GranFondo

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Dave Spiers

Re: GranFondo

Post by Dave Spiers »

O.K all signed up.
When Captain Stay Puf't gets back from Kona, maybe we can get a total count (Ian) of who's In?
I hope we are registered as having such a notable Captain!
# 9
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

Hey, Ian and Rita, there is a big floaty thing that goes over to the mainland, so you can both come.
# 9
Rita

Post by Rita »

I'm very tempted. Don't think Ian is ... not enough mud on the new road for him. Is it a mixed team yet? Can anyone give me an idea how the GranFondo will compare to a N2V ride? How many Malahats does it correspond to?
Roland

Post by Roland »

It'll be double the climbing in 20 less km.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Dave Spiers wrote:Hey, Ian and Rita, there is a big floaty thing that goes over to the mainland, so you can both come.

lol. Dave, you had me going here. First I thought it was a slightly rude reference to Mr StayPuft. Then I thought you were dreaming of a zeppelin service I must have missed. Then I got it. BC Fairies!
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Lister, that is DR stay puf't please. I will put together a list of who is signed up thus far. Looks like:
Capt Dr Puf't
Geoff Wong
Dave Spiers
Josh
Roland
John T
Alan C
Plawless (or were you just being cheeky?)

So we can officially have a team. Woo hoo
Brian
Tutto il rosa della vita
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

me Cheeky?????? :cry:

I am waiting for my travel visa to come back. I have all my shots and am ready just need to have the stamp of approval.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Peter, I know that Vancouver seems a long way away and that the climate is very different there, but there was really no reason to get oversensitive and get shots for your journey over there!
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Rita wrote:Peter, I know that Vancouver seems a long way away and that the climate is very different there, but there was really no reason to get oversensitive and get shots for your journey over there!
They're not the kind of shots you're thinking of. Pete's getting serious about cycling!
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Brian S

Re: GranFondo--UPDATE on a small exclusive event

Post by Brian S »

Dear Brian,

As of this writing, you are one of 2372 riders registered.

We consider you a Founding Rider of the Whistler GranFondo and want to thank you for supporting our event. That's not just a fancy title -- in years to come Founding Riders will always be recognized, and we'll be looking to develop "perks" for you in the future. As they say, membership has its privileges.

You share a vision with us of an epic cycling journey through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, sharing the experience with thousands of like-minded riders enjoying this challenging and inspiring route. It will be incredible... and you're in!
Registration Update

Our original cap of 2000 was reached in about 6 weeks, so we were inspired to explore our possibilities for expansion. Changing the Friday package pickup to the Vancouver Convention Centre will increase our capacity. That and other changes have allowed us to increase the limit to 3500 enthusiastic riders, but we feel we have room to grow beyond this for future years.

If this crazy rate of registration continues, we should be sold out by early March. That is fantastic, and to honour your belief in this event, we are crafting up an outrageous experience to fill your memory to the brim!
Teams Update

With this looming registration closure, team captains are urged to fill their teams.

Not that we want to push you too hard, but if all the existing 213 teams were to fill their rosters to capacity, we would be WAY over the limit of 3500, so be warned that some teams may not be able to fill up to maximum.

When you participate as a team, your team's finishing time will be based on the time of the 5th rider crossing the finish line. Teams are also eligible for prizing just like the solo riders. We're hearing a lot of excitement from people setting up teams because training together and riding the WGF together can be inspiring. You don't have to be racing in order to get the benefit from working together as a team.

In order to be considered a team, you need to have a minimum of 5 riders on your roster (maximum 9). If registration closes and you have less than 5 riders signed on, captains will have up to the end of April to woo registered solo riders onto their team. To help captains with this, we will publish the registered riders roster on our website once we reach capacity. Members of teams that have less than 5 people on April 30 will be switched to solo riders.

If you are not currently on a team, but want to create a team, then email us at info@whistlergranfondo.com with your request and your team name. We'll set you up and send you an email with instructions for inviting people onto your team. But you'd better hurry! Sweet mercy, there's not much time!
Tutto il rosa della vita
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Wow. Makes me wonder why there isn't a gran fondo on Vancouver Island...
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

wow.

Just goes to show how popular cycling is around here, especially when presented in an inclusive way like this.

I wonder what kind of turnout an Island Granfondo would get?
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Roland

Post by Roland »

There was the Everti Gran Fondo last year that did 250km circle route around cowichan lake, port renfrew, etc. The Victoria Populaire and Naniamo 2 Victoria also got decent turnout. Nothing like the turnout Whistler GF is getting, but they were all small events put on by volunteers with almost no budget. I'm sure a Port Alberni to Tofino Gran Fondo would be popular. We just need somebody to organize it. :)
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
wonger

Post by wonger »

Currently riding the bus down from the biathlon at Whistler. This road is hilly!
wonger

Post by wonger »

At Spinnaker's night a few weeks ago a few of us were saying that it might be time to make a plan for this event. Accommodation in Vancouver at the Accent Inn won't be a problem, but has anyone made a plan for Whistler? I'm thinking that I'll probably want to have a beverage or two following the event and spend the night up there. There is a host hotel that we could stay at - what are others planning to do?
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Hi everyone. Thanks for bringing the topic back up to the top of the forum. We should try to meet over the next couple of weeks to talk about issues such as transport and accomodation planning. As it is summer, it may be better to start with a separate Whistler planning string. I a commuting between Lake Cowichan and Victoria for the next couple of weeks, and will look at my schedule. I will then put up a date for maybe a chance to all sit down (cold ones are on me) on the back porch one evening and hammer out details.
Tutto il rosa della vita
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I think some Gran Fondo planning is a great idea, but I am away for two weeks begining Sunday am.

If the meeting is during that time, let me know what's up via TS website.

John
shawnc

Post by shawnc »

Can I add myself to the Gran Fondo planning committee? I'm going to sign up for the Men's Cat 1/2/3 race. I will need accommodation in Vancouver on the Friday night but I should be ok for the Saturday night.

Thanks!
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

shawnc wrote:Can I add myself to the Gran Fondo planning committee? I'm going to sign up for the Men's Cat 1/2/3 race. I will need accommodation in Vancouver on the Friday night but I should be ok for the Saturday night.

Thanks!
NOW I'm jealous Mr "cat 3".
I would LOVE to do the Cat1/2/3 race instead of being stuck in the mass start. That's awesome that you are now able to get in, though.

man, need more upgrade points races....... :?
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

I'm staying at the Aava Hotel, which I booked through the GrandFondo site.