Sunday, December 30 - Winter Classic: Colquitz, Durrance, Mt. Work, Thetis

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Sunday, December 30 - Winter Classic: Colquitz, Durrance, Mt. Work, Thetis

Post by Rolf »

If you're like me, you want your last ride of the year to be a Classic—without taking a whole day away from family.

Leaving Fort + Richmond at 6:30 a.m. and Interurban + Goose at 6:45, this cross adventure will get the more boring road and urban trail approaches out of the way in the dark, allowing daylight enjoyment of the more technical, lush, and sodden trails from Durrance to Thetis. Coffee by 10:30-ish. Pace will be faster on the flats, and steady (but consistent) on technical segments. This is not really a ride for beginners.

Here's an approximate route—though we'll probably skip Testament and Partridge Hills—perhaps attempting a circumnavigation of Durrance Lake instead.

At this time of the season, when few feel the need to rise early in the dark, I expect to do this ride solo. But if you're thinking about joining me, I'd enjoy the company. (And any route input you may bring!)
Last edited by Rolf on Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JTyre

Re: Sunday, December 30 - Winter Classic: Colquitz, Durrance, Mt. Work, Thetis

Post by JTyre »

Weather forecast looks good but there'll be some serious spuddle out there. (I like the Durrance idea, but I may try and reason Rolf out of Electric Avenue/Light.)
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

FYI, Panama Flats was still closed due to Pacific-scale puddles. You may need some extra equipment.
tenmile

Post by tenmile »

Would love to join you on this one, but taking the family out to Butchard tomorrow.

Did a ride through the area today and came out like....

There was all the types of rain including...

Bring your wet weather gear!
Terry P
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I'll give on Electric Ave. JT, but I'm stickier on Electric Light. :P

schouten

Post by schouten »

6:30, Yeesh! But I will give it a go.
Bandit
esilnarson

Post by esilnarson »

I really want to be in on this ride but need to be cleaned up and at the Oak Bay Marina by 11:00 am for brunch. Do you guys think you could accommodate? I would need to be home for 10:00 am(ish)

Brian E
schouten

Post by schouten »

Glad to see a good 'ol public shaming in the coffee shop still works! A 10:00am finish seems ambitious but perhaps you can tap out early?
Bandit
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Brian: the last time we did this ride (more or less), we were back downtown in about 3:10, which would fit your schedule. We'll likely cut out a few things, and add a few things, and be about the same time tomorrow. Leaving at 6:30 would even allow you a 20-minute buffer—which is coincidentally about the time it takes for two flats or one more involved mechanical. So: consider your risks hedged.

Seeya in the morning... :P
Alan

Post by Alan »

I was going to post that I absolutely can't make this ride, with relatives rolling into town and expecting me to feed and house them, then I saw Brian's post and thought: Shite--I could do this. I think this post has the most 'a propos' Gifs I've yet seen in a single post. The cat hugging the lamp? Hmm, brings to mind that neologism, "le gif juste".....

All I can say, is I'm in. Gotta get out of this cage...
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Fun to take the GoPro for a spin again this morning. Lots still to edit, but here's a zippy stretch of Stewart Mountain Road (51.1 km/h—clip sans speed adjust.) JT had a spill along here just after I passed through—I hope you're not too sore, amigo!

Gorgeous conditions and a good crew: thanks for helping wring the best out of the dregs of the year, fellas!
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Here's a puerile and sloppy edit, set to the Stiff Little Fingers (just for Alan.)

Happy New Year to all my muddy-buddies!
schouten

Post by schouten »

Wicked awesome! Thanks for putting that together Rolf. Glad to share that with the family so they know what the hell I am doing when I get up so bloody early!
Bandit
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Great video mate!!
John D

Post by John D »

Hmm...interesting choice of soundtrack, given its subject matter. :wink:
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Our cross rides are not unlike a one night stand, John: things can be a bit fumbly and awkward at the start; the pace stays mellow until everyone’s warmed up; at least some part of the ride is always new and intensely thrilling; we usually wind up soaked to the skin and dying for a shower; and occasionally things end with a trip to the clinic! :D

(I'd like to say we don't sit around with our buddies later and tell stories—but we do.)