Silly Solstice Ride Dec 24

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

mfarnham

Silly Solstice Ride Dec 24

Post by mfarnham »

Just a note that the annual Silly Solstice Ride--Winter Edition (100km worth of laps of Beacon Hill Park) is scheduled for December 24, with a 5:30am meetup for coffee at Cook Street Moka House and a 6am-sharp commencement of laps near the petting zoo.

For all the astronomical pedants, the reason we're not doing this ride on the *actual* solstice is that if we do it on Dec 24 it counts towards one's Festive 500 mileage (a similarly stupid idea/challenge to ride 500km between Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve).

For more (and a candidate post-of-the year), see last year's discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7425

Martin
Ddallin

Re: Silly Solstice Ride Dec 24

Post by Ddallin »

If anyone is keen to step up the Festive 500 challenge, I'm recruiting to support the 500, 50, 5 challenge.

Ride 500km
Run 50km
Swim 5km

No trophies, no badges, no whiners, just for bragging rights.

Looking for running or swimming partners?
David Dallin
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

Looking for running or swimming partners?
You know this is a cycling club? :D :D
Craig B.
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Weather forecast looks good for tomorrow!

Martin
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

For those of you looking for something other than tucking your nose up a teammate's rear and numbing your buttesticleginae for 3 plus hours, some of us are showing up with knobbies and planning to both liven up the ride options and play a bit fast and loose with mileage expectations.

We'll be doing some version of the lap below, with some laps on the road with the regular crew for warm-up and respite, and other laps doing crazy-eights in the all-weather field and generally filling Beacon Hill with red on Strava:

mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

I said Cook Street Moka House for meetup, but others have pointed out that it's likely closed at that hour. Cook St. Starbucks should be open. So, take heart if you show up at Moka and find it closed at 5:30...just ride onto SBx, get your caffeine hit, and head over to the park.

Martin
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Thanks to the cross crew for making the Solstice tradition a genuine pleasure this year—three hours of riding around Beacon Hill never went by faster! And thanks to the roadies for letting us warm up with you and stretch the legs a few times.

We need to study this next year and make sure we don't leave the same gaps. I count at least five missed trails! :oops:

Claire

Post by Claire »

Some impressive redline coverage of BHP indeed! Nice work, muddy buddies.

And, wow, the roadie turnout was exceptional! Lund may wish to correct me (being one who actually took the effort to enumerate us all) but I heard the body count was 34 at peak. That's more than this year's summer silliness and probably an all-time winter solstice turnout.

Good work, clubmates!
Ddallin

Post by Ddallin »

I got 36 roadside and 4 crossers at one point... Steve did count, but a couple had dropped off by the ! Certainly must be a record turnout!!!

Edit.. whoa, good output on speed too!

Time 3:18:46
Distance 101.99
Gain (m) 467

Avg Spd 30.8
David Dallin
Murray

Post by Murray »

Great ride this morning. Here's the video.
https://youtu.be/3lXb09IY9XU
Thanks to Kathy Tough for coming out and taking the shots.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Sorry it took a while to get this up, but here's the link to the 2018 Winter Silly Solstice Century photo and video gallery. (Viewing password remains the same as everywhere else on the site. PM me if you need it.)

I've stolen some shots off Strava to get things started, but please upload any more you may have. The upload link is at the top of the gallery page.

Thanks!