Safety effects of permanent running lights for bicycles: A controlled experiment.

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Steven

Safety effects of permanent running lights for bicycles: A controlled experiment.

Post by Steven »

The argument for cyclists using daytime lights is starting to gather pace. Handily, just such a survey exists. It was conducted in Denmark in 2004/05 with 3,845 cyclists and concluded that those cyclists with permanent running lights recorded a 19% lower incident rate than a control group not using lights.

“The study shows that use of permanent bicycle running lights reduces the occurrence of multiparty accidents involving cyclists significantly,” the controlled experiment concluded.

Link to the full survey http://vbn.aau.dk/files/274548813/Safet ... cycles.pdf
tenmile

Re: Safety effects of permanent running lights for bicycles: A controlled experiment.

Post by tenmile »

I've got a set of Magnic Microlights. Got them off Kickstarter about 3-4 years ago and have them mounted on my commuter. They are a frictionless dynamo light that generates electricity from an eddy current between the light and the rim of your wheel. No need to charge, the light comes on as soon as you begin riding. The lights are what I'd characterize as "being seen" type lights. I find for 90% of my commuting in the dark, they are fine -- stretches without streetlights, I switch on a 900 lumen rechargable. The rims have to be aluminum in order for the light to work (carbon fiber doesn't work). They just launched their 3rd Kickstarter about a month ago for their 3rd generation light. If you have rim brakes, the lights mount right on your brake pad itself and even get brighter when you press the brakes so act like a brake light. If you don't have rim brakes, they make a mount for your forks/seatstay too. Sets for both front and rear, road and mountain bikes.

I should add that they add no friction and nearly no resistance (technically there is some resistance from the magnet, but there is no chance you can feel it). If I spin my wheel by hand, it just keeps spinning like it normally would.

Not affiliated, I just think they are cool. https://www.magniclight.com/en/home-2/m ... olights-en

Terry P
Claire

Re: Safety effects of permanent running lights for bicycles: A controlled experiment.

Post by Claire »

Very cool!