A few Thoughts (ok, call it whining)

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

mlawless

A few Thoughts (ok, call it whining)

Post by mlawless »

All,

I am not usually one to express an opinion, given my introverted personality, but I would like to make a couple of brief comments for general consideration.

I really like the rides and the format we have set up - I think it lends itself well to both good exercise and a fair bit of fun too. However, and just speaking from my own gasping at the back of the pack experience, I would really prefer not to change the ride on the fly so to speak - whether that is as we crest Ash road and someone decides to bolt left so we can do another hill ( :cry: ) or going up Blenkinsop and we try to shift into a paceline, or other changes. While I am fine with adding these things to the ride the problem with trying to do so 30 seconds before executing that change is the confusion that arises. Given the time of day, darkness, my general lack of ability, etc., I think these spur of the moment changes can cause frustration and increase the risk of a problem on the road. My suggestion is that if we wish to add something to the ride or change from the 'standard' ride we decide to do so prior to departure - that way we all know what is coming (and I can plan a courtesy flat in the appropriate spot!).

The other comment is regarding the need to steady up on, and immediately after, some of the hills. If the gap starts to widen and the front of the group doesn't REALLY slow down, the back of the pack has to suffer to try and catch up and then there is no repreive when they do because the front accelerates again to a faster pace given their recent 'rest' while they waited. I think that it is better for us to slow much more agressively at the top of a hill and regroup sooner rather than taking several kms to regroup. Of course, the onus is on those at the back to communicate to the group when we are all back together.

Sorry for the diatribe but I was channeling my inner __________?

Michael
iross

Re: A few Thoughts (ok, call it whining)

Post by iross »

I agree with everything Mike says. Well, not in general, of course, but in this post at least. This morning was pretty crazy. It didn't feel like a TS ride at all until about Arbutus, when some of the grown-ups took charge. From then on, things were fine, so a big thank you to whoever it was who still had the lungs and presence of mind to get things back under control there.

And also a thank you to Mike - I've learnt a new phrase for the day: "courtesy flat" is one that I will certainly be using in the future.

Ian.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Mike: I'd go with your "inner Peter", but that might be somehow redundant. I rarely see a good whine I don't want to join! :P I'll second your thoughts above.

I saw (and participated in) a lot of ragged form today and something other than the ants marching two-by-two. I found myself either constantly on the brakes or closing sudden gaps. I know when I'm pushed beyond my comfort zone, my tendency is to lose the wheel in front of me and start riding all over the place; and that happened a few times today. :oops:

I saw more wind than at a chilidog- and cheese-eating competition. :wink:

We have some really strong riders who can help us all get faster by pushing the envelope. But if we lose our commitment to moving effectively as a group, slower folks won't get faster -- we'll just get tired quicker, pissed off and more dangerous.

I think it's important to strive to keep us together as a big, happy family (because it's the benefits of group riding that makes Tripleshot awesome). But I think when the numbers get over 20, the diversity of ability and the sheer size of the group can encourage problems. Michael's point about changing plans on the fly really comes down to one of communication -- which in turn is directly affected by how big a group we are.

Mornings like today when there are 20-25 riders of varying ability kind of scream out for a B ride, n'est-ce pas? Or maybe the better plan would be to have an A ride and an A+ ride. It might lessen the stigma and let a small squad of crazy-fast guys tire each other out, to the benefit of all.

These are just my uninformed, Friday-morning, I'd-rather-think-about-cycling-than-work ramblings. Feel free to cut them down and call me a weenie.

Next week I will celebrate my first half-year with Tripleshot and I'm grateful for having found you all... :D
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

You know it's part of the culture when more of us say these things. TS rocks. Thanks all.

Coupla extra thoughts/guidelines I've been meaning to suggest:

Ride like you want the group to stay together, not like the group is cannon fodder for your Lance moment. At least until King George. :twisted:

If you're feeling perky, this means stuff like:
  • When we're riding in twos, the weaker rider on the front sets the pace and the other rider matches it. Even if you're feeling good, no-one wants to talk to your armpit. Work-around: do a double turn if you really have to, (or happen to get matched with me lately), just don't half-wheel your partner.
    Go slower than you think up the hills and faster down. Re hills, especially over the top; remember the back is still climbing.
    If you're concerned with getting a better workout, pair up with someone of equal intent and do a longer turn, but not faster.
    After a climb, look back to see how much to wait. Do a U turn and draft up some stragglers.
And if you're not feeling so perky, there's also stuff that helps keep it together:
  • Do short turns on the front. Don't cook yourself. Come off before you're winded. There's a delay between the effort and the exhaustion.
    Stay on a wheel. Expect others to fill the gap if you drift off.
    If a gap opens because you're getting cooked, move over a bit so the rider on your wheel can see and possibly close the gap, before you (and half the bunch like I did today) are off the back (Sorry all :oops: ).
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
steve

Post by steve »

I agree with everything that has been said as above, there was definitely a bit of chaos on Friday's ride. I would add that some of the less experienced at group riding (Like me) certainly benefit from words of advice from guys like Peter and Lister. I would encourage you guys to continue to help take control of the group when it becomes disorganized and provide your pearls of wisdom.

Steve
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

For the hill on Ash (and possibly Caddy Bay), a good strategy might be to have the entire group stop at the top and wait 2 up on the side of the road, like we often do at the top of Island view on Sundays. When the last person arrives, the entire group is already in formation and we start to roll again. That would get rid of the several minutes of gong show riding that seems to follow both these spots, and would communicate pretty effectively to any newer riders the TS "no drop until king george" policy.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

I agree. That is likely the best way to get the group back as a group. It will also allow folks who want to blow their brains out up a hill to do that.

So..... anyone who hits the top of: Ash, Caddy Bay or King George at the front please put a foot on the ground then when someone like me catcehs up we can all go out together.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Hold your ponies! Stop the press! I thought the leash was released at King George. If that's not the case, I apologize for this morning.

JT
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I was unclear on that too; I thought we were doing that because of leaves and construction, which are gone now. Guess we should have a reminder discussion Friday am?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Sorry guys (especially John). I thought we had suspended the paceline on blenkinsop as we. As the attack from king George until the weather and particularly the amount of daylight.

Now to confess my bias I favour no paceline and staying together until holywood until we have more light. On a second note when we don't have a b ride we need to be really aware of that. If I am suffering but get over KG in the group I may only get dropped at Cook st. But if I'm off at KG then I may lose many extra minutes from my coffee.

Once we are into spring then I favour harder rides (bearing in mind the need to make sure we offer the B rides)

sorry again to all for the confusion

Peter
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

No problem. I was aware of the Blenkinsop no-pace line plan, but didn't know about KG. I agree that it is isn't nice to abandon anyone in the dark. And, if it reduces coffee time by more than a minute, it's a crime.

JT