Giro_Sardinia_Sardegna

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

JohnT

Giro_Sardinia_Sardegna

Post by JohnT »

https://www.girosardegna.com

A six-day stage race. The closest thing any of us will ever get to racing in a grand tour..... unless you're young, leave TripleShot to become a professional and participate in international stage races. OK, closest thing many of us will ever get to racing in a grand tour.

Have a look at the web site, commit, start saving some $$ and start doing whatever it takes to get approval from your partner, boss, employees, etc. Talk to club members who have been (there are quite a few). It's in the south next year near Cagliari, which is an amazing place. I figured it was approx. $3,000 all in. That was several years ago. Someone could start looking at flights to figure out if that's close for 2019. Lots of climbing... no more FarmTeam Wednesday's for you! There's also a TT (2nd stage) and a TTT (4th stage).

JT
Last edited by JohnT on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JTyre

Re: Giro_Sardinia_Sardegna

Post by JTyre »

Thanks, John.

After much clicking I now know that Stage 1 is on Sunday April 21 and Stage 6 on Friday April 26, 2019. I'm interested to learn more about the event and what's involved in terms of training. So is Jill. Maybe people can post here their intentions, and whatever other information they have.

I'm afraid though to ask my cyclocross friends if I can go,

JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Training is up to you, sort of. There is a 'broom wagon'. There's also a 'fondo'.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Johnny Tyre: You and Jill should definitely go. I would recommend a full drug regime in preparation.
They don't do drug testing in Sardinia, so don't be shy about trying new substances.... Just ask Lance:

I won't be the only one cheering you guys on...

mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

I'm considering it. But I'm not tackling the research side of things...too much other stuff on my plate.

Peter L. says this is a "must do".

Ciao!
Martin
John D

Post by John D »

I've done it twice, and highly recommend it. Would like to do it once more, but 2019 may not be in the cards. Anyhow, the resident Giro Sardegna expert is Marcus - who I think may have done it five times!

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

JTyre wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:44 pm

I'm afraid though to ask my cyclocross friends if I can go,
Go forth and adventurize, Young Tyre. You and Jill have our blessings and heartfelt goodbyes.

shawn

Post by shawn »

I am interested. Intimidated, but interested.

If I commit, I might get Annie Ewart to provide me with a training plan, and I'm able to share her contact info if anyone else is interested: ewart1annie@gmail.com For those who may not know, Annie is a retired pro, originally from Victoria, currently living in Girona with partner Nate Brown (Cannondale-Drapac). She's a certified level 2 coach and can connect with you via the wonders of the internet to get you trained up.

Shawn
jimwallace

Post by jimwallace »

Hi,

Louise and I are in. We have heard so far that Dolly, Wayne, Jessica, Heather, Jill, John, Martin, John T? and ? are all interested. Can everyone that is planning on going add their names to the list so we can start to bring the plan together. Pass this message around so we can get as many people in as possible.

We want to get everyone else who is committed over to our house lets say early evening around 6 pm on Friday Oct. 12th to look at registering so we can get the best hotel. I heard that the place to stay is the Hotel Sighientu .. It is meant to be the “Main Hotel” of the randonneurs of the “1.000 km di Sardegna”.

Race Fees (for those staying in “our” hotels with code A/B/C/D)
men Euro 200,00
women Euro 150,00
Hotel Sighientu**** Sigla C Euro 540,00 for Room and Board per person double.

extra days (for each day p.p.): in A Euro 70,00 – in B C D Euro 80,00
transfers from Cagliari airport: Euro 25.00 with bike – Euro 20.00 without bike each way
transfer from Olbia or Alghero airport is possible but you must touch the Giro Organisation to evaluate the possibility (probably Euro 40.00 with bike – Euro 35.00 without bike each way)
transfers for 3rd stage (Nora): total sum two ways Euro 30.00 with bike – Euro 25.00 without bike
transfers for 5th stage (Portoscuso): total sum two ways Euro 35.00 with bike – Euro 30.00 without bike

Flights look like about $1500 per person Victoria to Cagliari Elmas Airport proablly less from Vancouver
8:20 PM – 5:15 PM+2 Air Canada, Lufthansa
YVR, YUL, MUC
$1,473
round trip

TOTAL in euro 540, 200, 30, 30, 30 euro, = $1200.00 cdn for guys and $70 less for women + $1500 for the flight $2700 cdn

Louise and I will most likey add a few days on either end. that is another $250 a day.

Also it would be good to get info from people that have been to the event Marcus, Heather, Joe, John D, and ? so come over Friday to pass on

List

Jim Wallace
Louise Wallace
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

List:

Jim Wallace
Louise Wallace
Martin Farnham (in for Friday; and interested in an extension to Mallorca, given that it's in the neighbourhood)
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

C'mon guys. Can you please take this private for those of us who are dying with envy.......
Ann

Post by Ann »

List:

Jim Wallace
Louise Wallace
Martin Farnham (in for Friday; and interested in an extension to Mallorca, given that it's in the neighbourhood)
Ann
Garth

(Sorry L3 😔)
Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Jim Wallace
Louise Wallace
Ann
Garth
Dolly ( also in for Friday and extra pre-trip training in Mallorca)
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Jim Wallace
Louise Wallace
Ann
Garth
Dolly (also in for Friday and extra pre-trip training in Mallorca)
Jill
Johnny Tyre
Posterboy
jimwallace

Post by jimwallace »

I left something out. Our address for those who don't where we live is 330 Arnold Ave. off Fairfield Rd.

jim
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

JTyre wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:44 pm I'm afraid though to ask my cyclocross friends if I can go...
I, for one, welcome your flaunting of empty-nest financial independence. It gives me something to dream about and shoot for when I'm old as dirt, too.

Just don't think you're going to be permitted to eschew cross rides for hills "training" or something.

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I am not very interested in the Giro this year because there are a lot of roads I have not ridden in Europe and I have been to Sardegna four times and ridden the roads that are to be used on five of the six stages of the 2019 event, but I am interested in what others are thinking about in relation to riding during the week before or after the event so I plan to come by on Friday. BTW, the main hotel is the Cala Serena. I would recommend staying at the main hotel. Also, car rental is not expensive in Sardegna and it would cost less and be more efficient for two or more people to share a car rather than paying the transfer charges.
jimwallace

Post by jimwallace »

Marcus,
You and Nancy should come on by tomorrow night and give us your sage wisdom in person, and it is walking distance.

jim
shawn

Post by shawn »

I'm going to join you on Friday. Haven't yet decided but I'm very interested.
Shawn
jbarrett

Post by jbarrett »

I'm going to drop in this evening too to fan the flames and remember those April days in Sardegna, 2014.