Wednesday, July 18 - New Bike FarmCross Special

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Wednesday, July 18 - New Bike FarmCross Special

Post by Rolf »

With 11 weeks of the interminable road season behind us and 7 still to go until TSCX gets back underway, a few crossers are taking a break from trail-building and hitting the dirt tomorrow morning to sweep out the crosswebs.

Apparently there has been a rash of cross-bike purchasing going on, and I'm sure some of you are keen to try out your new gear. :D

We'll join the Farmers at 6 a.m. at Richmond and Richardson for a Shelbourne warmup and then do something like this 28K loop (Strava link), with a few tweaks, meeting back with the Farmers at Cook St. Moka by about 7:15 for cawfee.

The route's about half-and-half pavement/trail (incl. the Goose as pavement), so: perfect to ease yourself off-road. Trails are all dry and tight right now, so maybe keep your pressure up...

Join us! :o Newbies welcome! 8)
JTyre

Re: Wednesday, July 18 - New Bike FarmCross Special

Post by JTyre »

Rolf: I'll be there as usual keeping an eye out for starfish.

Johnny Tyre
Ann

Post by Ann »

I'm in.

Scott Davis

Post by Scott Davis »

Rookie.....check
New gear.....check

I'm in.

Scott
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Scott Davis wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:38 pm Rookie.....check
New gear.....check

I'm in.

Scott
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

So...... How was it??
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

It was wonderful having you out this morning, Scott. You nailed your very first crossride. One thing I learnt early-on is that trying to overtake speedy Rolf, no matter how graciously, is both difficult and frowned-upon.

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Neil: a fun crew of seven showed up, some riding knobbies or a new bike for the first time. Garth felt the need to excuse himself due to disc brakes that sounded like elephantine indigestion. But the six of us ripped it up over hard, sometimes dusty, and very fast trails! As we left Beacon Hill Park and crossed over to Cook St. Village, we met the Farmers as they cruised along Cook to coffee. The timing was uncanny; 10 seconds earlier or later and we would have missed them.

JT: stop looking at my frown and watch the road! :twisted: Swerving left and right on Panama flats was more about using the full width of the trail to flatten apices and deal with all that fresh, deep gravel—rather than practicing any race blocking maneuvers. (I also have an unfortunate Mama duck complex when I call and map a ride, as you know.)

Fear not, dear JT: with your spiffy new plastic frame and preternatural fitness, I'll spend plenty of time gazing at your bony butt over the coming months. (That gif is stupendous, btw! :lol: )
Last edited by Rolf on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Sorry I couldn't make it today. At UBC under my new marching orders...

JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Rolf wrote:JT: stop looking at my frown and watch the road! :twisted: Swerving left and right on Panama flats was more about using the full width of the trail to flatten apices and deal with all that fresh, deep gravel—rather than practicing any race blocking maneuvers. (I also have an unfortunate Mama duck complex when I call and map a ride, as you know.)
Don't be tak'n me seriously, Rolf. The emphasis here is on your speediness - which I admire and aspire. And then there's your route calling, mapping, photo'ing and goPro'ing, which all boggle the mind.
Scott Davis

Post by Scott Davis »

Thanks all for showing me the ropes. I learned two things on my first cross ride. I'm way more comfortable turning left....turning right at speed on loose gravel is a bit of a gong show. Stay out of my way. I also learned that a beer or two before a cross ride may settle my nerves a bit on those blind corners. I kept expecting to come face to face with a trail runner on every turn. Thanks again. I'm hooked.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Scott Davis wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:31 pm ... a beer or two before a cross ride ...
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Scott Davis wrote:I'm way more comfortable turning left....turning right at speed on loose gravel is a bit of a gong show. Stay out of my way.
Don't sweat it, Scott. I had the same problem. Here's an exercise that I practice at home with Jill,

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Too lazy to change wheelset/pedals, so I'm doing this all over again tomorrow (Friday) morning—taking one of the B trains up Shelbourne and then peeling off left, giggling into the woods...

Come along if you like. Or I'll just seeya at coffee, wearing a satisfied patina of dust.
rduncan

Post by rduncan »

Damn, Rolf I would have joined you if I saw this sooner.

When's your next ride?
Rob Duncan