Olympic Discovery Trail Experiences?

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

steve

Olympic Discovery Trail Experiences?

Post by steve »

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience on riding the Olympic Discovery Trail from Port Angeles to Port Townsend? I'm thinking of riding it as a part of my upcoming holiday but just want to make sure that it is appropriate for use with a road bike. Is it safe with broad bike or are there gravel/dirt sections that would be more appropriate for use with a cyclocross?

Thanks
Stev
roadflasj

Re: Olympic Discovery Trail Experiences?

Post by roadflasj »

Hi Steve,

I had a quick look on their Facebook page photos and it looks very similar to our own bike trails, paved, packed gravel and packed dirt. I'd call up a local shop or post a question to the FB page. Route and trails look great though.

Kenji
Kenji Jackson
shawn

Post by shawn »

I rode that trail twice last summer on my road bike. Very manageable.
steve

Post by steve »

Hi Guys,

Thanks Shawn that is great to know. Thanks also Kenji - didn't look to think on facebook - looks even better than I thought it would!

Steve
shawn

Post by shawn »

Just to clarify, we went in the ither direction. We took the main road from Port Townsend to Discovery Bay and then followed the Olympic Discovery Trail on to Port Angeles. The trail between Discovery Bay and Port Angeles is absolutely fine for a road bike. I don't think the section between Port Townsend and Discovery Bay had been finished last Summer.
Enjoy!