Big Loop Ride July 15th ... details please

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

JamesB

Big Loop Ride July 15th ... details please

Post by JamesB »

Hoping someone who rode this last year or maybe someone who's planning/organizing this year's ride can help fill in some blanks here please and thanks.

260 km total with start at Alpha Street Starbucks on Sunday, July 15th at 06:00

- if this is a two group/speed ride, can we offer last year's average speed of the faster group as a gauge?
- a rough idea of how often we expect to break?
- does the support vehicle(s) offer riders the chance to send extra food/water/clothes in the vehicle?

- any details available about the actual route we intend on riding?
- pre-event organizing meeting? ... or possibly a post ride dinner?
- is this a rain or shine ride or is there still a chance this could be postponed due weather?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to the ride and maybe a few longer training/prep rides between now and July 15th.
Cheers,
James
Gerry L

Re: Big Loop Ride July 15th ... details please

Post by Gerry L »

I was with the slower group the last 2 years- average speed was 24 both times.

Gerry
Jeremy S

Post by Jeremy S »

I was in the faster group last year and we were averaging around 33km/hr during the section rolling without the combined group.
EricS

Post by EricS »

Here is my Strava file from last year's ride:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1087281195

Second group ave: 26.5 km/h for 9.5 hours of riding plus 4.5 hours of eating.

If there is enough interest, I would recommend at least two groups, maybe three. We sort of had three for a bit last year, but due to flats, mechanicals, and biomechanicals, the third group got too small and joined the second group. In my opinion, there was a bit too much time spent standing around. I would have prefered perhaps one less food stop, and in general less time at each stop. Perhaps fill the pockets and go. Not each time of course. I loved drying my socks on a log after our brief but intense rainy period, but I feel that not each stop need take so much time. Getting home late and a ferry behind schedule made the day long! Again, only my opinion.

Great ride, and well worth the massive effort.

The support crew last year was amazing! (oh yah, reminder to this year's crew: bring spare wheels)

Here's what it looks like averaging 33.6km/h by yourself (you could be done in 8 hours like our friend and TS alumnist Adam de Vos): https://www.strava.com/activities/1613348316

Cheers,

Eric
Eric Simonson
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Okay - thanks for the replies so far. Very helpful.
Will try to "pick some brains" if and when I can manage my next TS ride.
Just wanting to make sure I'm prepared both in fitness and in gear/food - fresh socks & shorts!
Cheers - James.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Eric, thanks for the info. I'm 'game-on' for this long day of cycling fun.
Louise Wallace

Post by Louise Wallace »

I've done it twice now. The first time there was a middle and we averaged 28 and there wasn't a food stop between port Renfrew and cowichan. The next time (last year) there were 3 groups for a short it but like Eric said... The 3rd group joined us at Port Renfrew and we averaged 26. The first group that year was only 3 people after cowichan because they shed a 2 riders who joined us. Think of it as 5x a 50 km ride.
Louise
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

The third group?

I think that the collective memory of the third group last year is a little muddled. As I recall, the third group consisted of Amy, Gerry and an old, fat and weak guy whom they were pulling after he was dropped by the second group climbing out of Jordan River. If it hadn't been for John GIFer hallucinating about his cell phone, and the repeated reminder "Don't drop Mikael" after Port Renfrew, I would have been the third group for the rest of the ride.

Still miffed, :wink:

Mikael
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7171&p=32543&hilit=Big+loop#p32548
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Still a little bitter are we, Mikael? :D

LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Best.Gif.Yet.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Hello All

The Big Loop Ride is on July 15th at 06:00.
Meeting at Alpha Street Starbucks at 05:30 or earlier if you want a relaxing coffee beforehand.

I would like to get some numbers of interested parties so we can organize food and supplies.

Copy and add your name below. Cheers

Fozzy
justineajohnson

Post by justineajohnson »

I will be joining! Very excited/nervous... :shock:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Interested!
Steven

Post by Steven »

I'm in.
roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

Pumped! Really looking forward to this ride. I'll start the sacrifices to the weather gods now.

Copy and add your name below. Cheers

Justine
Marc
Steven
Kenji
Kenji Jackson
jimwallace

Post by jimwallace »

Jim Wallace
Louise Wallace
jbarrett

Post by jbarrett »

Justine
Marc
Steven
Kenji
Jim
Louise
Joe
JamesB

Post by JamesB »

I am adding my name as a commitment to this amazing day, but I'm hoping to draw out more TS riders to take on this incredible achievement (250 K in a day is nothing short of AWESOME) ...

I'd like to offer myself as a driver* and my vehicle (4Runner) as the 3rd support vehicle for the day.
The traditional van and motorcycle have been confirmed already.

As such, having cleared my intentions with this year's BLR management, please consider that my vehicle would likely travel ahead of the first of the groups (normally either 2 or 3 groups max on such a day) from the midway stop (lunch basically) to the finish. Hence, you should have the opportunity to transfer your extra gear/supplies into or out of my vehicle at that mid-way stop.

What would help though ... Does anyone have either a bike trailer that I can tow for the day ... or a generous trailer hitch-mountable bike carrier? Keeping bikes and extra wheels outside the vehicle allows for more gear and supplies (possibly a body or two) inside.

Come On TripleShot Riders ... you'll never have an easier opportunity to push yourself to ride 250 KMs!!!
Three vehicles and lots of friendly, encouraging faces!
Cheers,

James B.
driver* ... please PM me if You think You might want to share the driving of my vehicle so I might ride a portion of this day too.
rich m.

Post by rich m. »

Hey Neil,

I gather that you are the organizer for the big loop ride? Would it be ok if there was a group that took care of their own food and drink (cafe stops at shirley, port renfrew and lake cowichan) but took advantage of the broom wagon in case something goes afoul? For the faster riders there is a lot of waiting around if everybody regroups at each stop. Totally understand if you don't want to break with tradition. Cheers,

Rich
toddhatfield

Post by toddhatfield »

I'm in. thanks.
Todd