Trail Project to connect Camosun to Francis King Park- Volunteers wanted

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Tripleshot is joining forces with a landowner in Saanich, and the Nature Trail Society, to build a new, public, sustainable, multi-use trail link between Camosun Interurban and Francis King Park.

This will be a major improvement in the link between the Colquitz and Francis King/Thetis trail systems. It would give an option to the hike-a-bike section at Calvert Park and and has much less time on pavement on Prospect lake road; it lines up with a direct crossing. It's also a great way for Tripleshot to give back to the community and build coalitions and understanding with other trail users, which hopefully keeps trails bike accessible in other parts of town (like Haro Woods).

We have a plan for a long term connection, the best trail designer in greater Victoria, landowner permission, construction and user insurance, and political allies. We just need you to help out on trail building days.

Work ranges from arranging refreshments and lunches, to light pruning and raking, through to pick and shovel work, to heavy rock work building switch backs and ledges that will stand up to regular walking, cycling and equestrian use.

Nature Trails Society's Executive Director Daniel Cammiade is available days, evening or Saturdays to help direct the work.

What days and times work for you? We might be able to pick more than one.

• weekdays (List)
• weekday evenings (list)
• Saturday am

Who benefits? Everyone!
• walkers, cyclists and equestrians: get a natural surface, year round, access from the city, to legal, existing, rural parks trails
• the landowner: gets a maintained access through a hydro right of way to parks and picnic spots, while keeping privacy for his home.
• neighbours and public: the trail will be permanently opened and signed at the driveway entrance
• immediate access: Hector road is a beautiful quiet paved road that offers access to Camosun, but there are possible future links nearby for more multi-use trails.
• The Tripleshot CrossFondo: will have a sustainable route and funding for the youth program.
• The Nature Trail Society completes one of the missing links in its vision of a greater Victoria multiuse trail system

History
When we were looking for a CrossFondo route, we stumbled (literally, through thick blackberries) on a landowner willing to allow a trail across his property. It was a win-win. He wanted a route up to a neighbouring hill for picnics. But hydro trimming on the right of way across his property had encouraged blackberries that had closed off access. It was a pretty key moment in the fondo plan; there was no other allowed access, paved or otherwise between Camosun Interurban and Francis King Park -Thetis multiuse trails; a true east west connector.

The rough trail built for the fondo was fun, but overgrows quickly, and the owner is open to a re-routing into nearby trees which deter blackberries. And to a gentler switch backed eastern access, vs the steep cat track we are using now. So re-building will make a better experience for all users, reduce maintenance, and may encourage neighbours, including those with horses, to allow similar access.

Who's in? Post your preferred work days.

L
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
amyeee

Re: Trail Project to connect Camosun to Francis King Park- Volunteers wanted

Post by amyeee »

Hi Lister,

I'm in and looking forward to it.

Personally, I'd be interested in weekday evenings starting mid-July (I'm on holiday at the beginning of July, and don't know when I will be out of town). In general Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays are best.

Here's the best weekday evenings for me at the moment:

Wed July 18, Thu July 19, Fri July 20
Tue July 24, Thu July 26, Fri July 27
Tue July 31, Thu Aug 2, Fri Aug 3

Saturday mornings July 21 and 28 seem to be available too.

I want to do the fun work, that involves digging, lifting rocks, oh, and I guess things like pruining too ...

Amy
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Thanks Amy. You're in charge of Stonehenge Switchback, ok? :)

Rolf is keen on Wednesdays 6:00 am, and Daniel Cammiade the ED of the society is willing to come if we can get 8 out. First session Wednesday June 27. Post to confirm and share rides.

Daniel's also making this trail the default Saturday NTS workday, so Saturday's after the Electric Avenue's Open House June 23. So first one June 30. 9:00 start.

BYO tools, whatever you have. Work gloves and long sleeves good for blackberries unless you want the Cat 5 road rash look. Good shoes. Rakes (leaf and rigid kinds), picks, shovels, pry bars, gas or electric hedge and brush cutters, pruners, and Druid costume if you want on be on Amy's team.

Park in the owners driveway, 305 Hector, not on Hector, leaving room to get past. https://goo.gl/maps/2BCknsz1gTL2

Breakfast after?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I really really want to put a Druid gif in that post. But all i get is strings of code. At the risk of encouraging them, can Alan or John advise?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

I'm in. I need to get in shape for fieldwork and my machete hasn't met a blackberry thicket in a long time. I'll aim for Wednesday June 27 or the following Saturday June 30. What a great initiative .... thank you Lister.

Andrew
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

Lister Farrar wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:12 pm I really really want to put a Druid gif in that post. But all i get is strings of code. At the risk of encouraging them, can Alan or John advise?

AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

And here I thought we could go GIFless ..... just once.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Greg F wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:39 pm
Lister Farrar wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:12 pm I really really want to put a Druid gif in that post. But all i get is strings of code. At the risk of encouraging them, can Alan or John advise?

That's the one! Trail building is indeed mystical.

Sometimes in a testosterone poisoned way. But hell, chainsaws are cool. Lanterns cant hurt that.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Andrew,

Lister requested. No complaining about GIFs. It tends to start nasty fights.

L3
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

I’m a little behind on this thread and for this reason I’m posting this ...

... which I hope further annoys Andrew, and anyone else who’s so predisposed :).

And Lister, I’m away until July but will be super happy to help out with the trail after that.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Jaysus, did someone say CHAINSAWS? I'm in. And here i am preparing to help out with assorted trail-building and limb dismemberment...

Claire

Post by Claire »

LouiseF wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:24 pm Andrew,

Lister requested. No complaining about GIFs. It tends to start nasty fights.

L3
I would argue the problem is actually one step before the complaining about giffs...
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Thanks all for the offer of help. I'll post reminders as we get closer. T- 9 days to first trail day.

Apologies for getting carried away with the Stonehenge-Druid thing. Anything that leads to that last gif can't be good. ;)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I can drive up to seven trail-builders next week. Cut & paste this list if you're in (nicknames optional):

1. Chainsaw Alan
2. Gently Flatulent Rolf

Wednesday, June 27
  • 6:00 a.m. - meetup at Oak Bay High (or PM me for a pick-up en route)
  • 6:25-7:45 a.m. - trail-building fun (sturdy shoes and work gloves req'd; Daniel will have tools, but bring more if you want)
  • 8:00 a.m. - second breakfast followed by drop-offs wherever you like
I'll have a rack for up to four bikes (if you ride to OBH and in case you have to leave earlier.)

Only people coming out to build trail get to complain about GIFs. And if anyone's still experiencing unfounded irascibility by then, we'll just enjoy some Enya on the drive out.

Last edited by Rolf on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Thanks Rolf. I can also drive.

My understanding is Daniel asked us to bring tools if we have them.

If people have a favourite chainsaw or flamethrower (ok, more like your left-handed pruner or Lee Valley adze), but want to ride to the meet- up spot, they can drop them off at my place and I'll bring them back and forth. 1058 Davie. I also have 4 racks on the car for multimodal commuting.

One of the most useful tools is a long prybar. Heavy but very effective rolling boulders into place for switchbacks. And for holding triumphantly over your head in photos, with less consequences than a chainsaw. (Re Alan's gif)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

amyeee wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:47 pm Hi Lister,

I'm in and looking forward to it.

Personally, I'd be interested in weekday evenings starting mid-July (I'm on holiday at the beginning of July, and don't know when I will be out of town). In general Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays are best.

Here's the best weekday evenings for me at the moment:

Wed July 18, Thu July 19, Fri July 20
Tue July 24, Thu July 26, Fri July 27
Tue July 31, Thu Aug 2, Fri Aug 3

Saturday mornings July 21 and 28 seem to be available too.

I want to do the fun work, that involves digging, lifting rocks, oh, and I guess things like pruining too ...

Amy
Just re-reading your post Amy, and I see I didn't address weekday evenings. I'm tied up coaching so can't coordinate a weekday evening. But I'll address it with Daniel. It's very possible a weekday evening can work if we have a group and give Daniel some warning.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
amyeee

Post by amyeee »

Trail building at 6:00 in the morning. I knew you people were crazy. It's probably best if I drive myself, so I can make it to work on time. Put me down for 6:00 am on June 27.

At the moment, I only have work gloves and hiking boots - so I'll see what I can come up with in the way of tools.

Amy
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Re-posting for recency:

So far we've got four confirmed trail-builders for this Wednesday morning, June 27. Let's bump that up to 7 or 8 and make it worthwhile for the Nature Trails Society. This is a rare opportunity to help with CrossFondo prep and work on a trail that we're inevitably going to ride during our next TSCX season (which starts just ten short weeks from now.) I started counting up all the win-wins but got distracted by some beef jerky.

How good will it feel to ride a trail you know you helped bring about? Very good indeed! 8)

I can drive up to seven trail-builders this Wednesday morning. I can bring a rack for up to four bikes (if you ride to OBH or in case you have to leave earlier.) Cut & paste this list if you're in (nicknames optional):

1. Dirty "Digger" Alan
2. Salal Snaffler Rolf

Wednesday, June 27
  • 6:00 a.m. - meetup at Oak Bay High (or PM me for a pick-up en route)
  • 6:25-7:45 a.m. - trail-building fun (sturdy shoes and work gloves req'd; Daniel will have tools, but bring more if you want/can)
  • 8:00 a.m. - second breakfast, followed by drop-off wherever you like
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I’m in. Might stay later if the work is going well. Test if you want a ride there.

L
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

A bit more detail. I plan to be at 305 Hector at 6, as planned with Daniel, but Rolf’s plan to meet st 6 and drive up also makes sense. Either works.

I’m driving at 5:30 if anyone wants a ride. 1057 Davie.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)