The Hermit Kingdom

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Plawless

The Hermit Kingdom

Post by Plawless »

Here are a few shots of my trip last week for any who are interested. it was quite the (curated) experience!

Peter
Attachments
SO_Trip_May2018 - 10 (2).jpg
SO_Trip_May2018 - 4.jpg
SO_Trip_May2018 - 279.jpg
Plawless

Re: The Hermit Kingdom

Post by Plawless »

a few more
Attachments
SO_Trip_May2018 - 126.jpg
SO_Trip_May2018 - 41 (2).jpg
SO_Trip_May2018 - 20.jpg
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

last 3
Attachments
SO_Trip_May2018 - 15.jpg
SO_Trip_May2018 - 1 (2).jpg
SO_Trip_May2018 - 186.jpg
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Cool pics, Peter! So much (carefully arrayed) colour.

Thanks for sharing. :D
justineajohnson

Post by justineajohnson »

What a unique experience! Thank you for sharing!
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Hard to imagine that the expressions on those kids faces were not their own, and that you're not making a positive difference, Peter. We're all very proud to have you in our midst. (And, I'm not overly concerned with the antennae sticking out of your kit this morning; what could Alan say that would be that damaging to our national security? :)).
Alan

Post by Alan »

Was that antenna or was he just glad to see us?

And for John's sake...

John D

Post by John D »

Hi Peter...

You previously referred to this as being primarily an exercise in "sports diplomacy", but can you provide any details of what the trip actually entailed?

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

It's been nice knowing you John.

Martin
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

I suggest that the only requirement for office of president for Tripleshot is an exquisite sense of humour. I didn't think anyone could fill John's shoes in that department. Please stop making me laugh so much.

Andrew
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

John D wrote:Hi Peter...

You previously referred to this as being primarily an exercise in "sports diplomacy", but can you provide any details of what the trip actually entailed?

J.
If your insinuating that Peter may have been acting in some surveillance capacity, well... sometimes the least obvious choice makes the best spy.

SteelBuns

Post by SteelBuns »

But not without risk if things had gone sideways.

Robgrant

Post by Robgrant »

Peter Lawless; a giant among men.
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

So in response to John (and not for a second forgetting Andrew’s suggestion of humour as the ONLY requirement to be the TS president) I guess “sport diplomacy” is me trying to suggest that perhaps there are tools (ie sport) that we can use in the world to, despite the numerous challenges, try to influence behaviour for the better.

So in this case it was a trip to NK to see if the “thawing” that took place around the Olympics could be continued and expanded in some ways. I’d be lying to say its not possible that nothing will change as a result of this trip but i think the proof will be in the next set of actions. And i think the folks i met with would lose serious face if they couldn’t follow through and they were some pretty powerful folks.

The 2 big public outcomes / markers of success will be if the women’s hockey team comes to Canada this fall and if the NK’s send anyone to the Special Olympics World Games in 2019 (they have never participated before as they have denied disability). However i think there has already been a change in that they went from saying “we have no intellectual disabilities here” to allowing us (there were 5 - 2 NGO, 2 Special O and me) to work with their staff and some kids for the week. More significantly is that we did a fully integrated “sports day” on Friday that was televised nationally and that is HUGE - nothing gets on tv that isn’t fully endorsed by the state so having kids with intellectual disabilities on tv and more importantly integrated with “regular” kids is an enormous validation of their presence and participation in life.

So it certainly could all fall apart but at this point i think its a win and it could go on to be a really really big one. But time will tell.

So that’s what sport diplomacy means to me in this scenario. (And Andrew .......)
Attachments
FA9EA279-F216-41A9-83E7-37D6EC7C7920.jpeg