3 Ferries Ride May 27

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

Greg F

Re: 3 Ferries Ride May 27

Post by Greg F »

840am ferry from BB it is. Key words for the ride will be "fun", "flexible", and "food".

Don't forget BB-MB ferry only takes cash - $8.80 for person + bike. The other 2 ferries are $12.70 each for person + bike.

I propose everyone who's downtown-ish meet/depart from Fairfield Starbucks at 7am (as put out on The Rivet). The most direct route would be to the Goose -> Interurban -> W. Saanich -> Wallace, approx 25km. Even if you left as late as 715, you should get there with a reasonable buffer. Anyone starting from that spot please give a shout with your plan so others can meet enroute, else cruise your own pace to the ferry if in doubt.

Louise and I will be leaving directly from our house around 720-730am (it should take us about 50min or so from top of Ferndale/Balmacarra). Penny/Scott, want to join us at the top of Balmacarra?

Dave, we should be crossing Blenkinsop along Royal Oak at about 730-740am, then plan to go West Saanich to Wallace. Let us know if you want to meet along the way, otherwise see you at the ferry!

Rolf, please standby at your Command Post for any emergency gastro-related fire support.

Claire

Post by Claire »

Routewise, let's just follow the one from the Strava link Rolf provided above. It's a fairly standard and straightforward off-highway way to do this. But it's best if everyone takes a look at it to have a general idea of the major intersections. On the off chance that the informal fluidity of the group leads to the organic formation of smaller groups trucking along at their own pace between ferries, there will be a common understanding of the next meet-up point.

An 8:40 boat out of Brentwood (which I believe is a cash only operation - plan accordingly!) probably requires a 7:00-ish departure from Fairfield Sbux. I'd suggest following the Goose to Interurban, then a "backwards Sunday" routing to Brentwood (Interurban, W. Saanich, Wallace). From there, we carry a ferry schedule (and/or smart phone) and pick the subsequent sailings based on how the day's unfolding.

Knowing that we'd be back home by 5:30 at the latest is helpful - and if it ends up being earlier... bonus time for napping, (more) eating, etc. Yay!

p.s. The Beddis/Stewart routing between Ganges and Fulford is fab and we should definitely do it.
PDavis

Post by PDavis »

Hey Louise and Greg. Scott and I will meet you at the top of Balmacarra. We will be ready at 7:20 am. Looking forward to the ride but very aware that I will be the slow one! Don't anyone feel they have to wait for me.....except maybe Scott!
Penny
dranson

Post by dranson »

Hi Greg - I’ll plan to jump on at Lochside School - I’ll be there at around 7:30 to make sure I don’t miss you all.

David
Claire

Post by Claire »

Greg F wrote:840am ferry from BB it is. Key words for the ride will be "fun", "flexible", and "food".

Don't forget BB-MB ferry only takes cash - $8.80 for person + bike. The other 2 ferries are $12.70 each for person + bike.

I propose everyone who's downtown-ish meet/depart from Fairfield Starbucks at 7am (as put out on The Rivet). The most direct route would be to the Goose -> Interurban -> W. Saanich -> Wallace, approx 25km. Even if you left as late as 715, you should get there with a reasonable buffer. Anyone starting from that spot please give a shout with your plan so others can meet enroute, else cruise your own pace to the ferry if in doubt.

Louise and I will be leaving directly from our house around 720-730am (it should take us about 50min or so from top of Ferndale/Balmacarra). Penny/Scott, want to join us at the top of Balmacarra?

Dave, we should be crossing Blenkinsop along Royal Oak at about 730-740am, then plan to go West Saanich to Wallace. Let us know if you want to meet along the way, otherwise see you at the ferry!

Rolf, please standby at your Command Post for any emergency gastro-related fire support.
Oops... Sorry to repeat a lot of this, Greg. I think I saw the last post on page 1 and thought that was the last post. But hey - at least we are in agreement on all salient points!

My fleet-legged partner and I will probably just make our own way to BB and see you there before 8:40.
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

We may be a few minutes later than 720 depending upon how the babysitter hand off goes but that'll be plenty of time, either way. Penny and Scott - hope we don't leave your circling at the top of the hill for too long!

Penny - no need to worry about speed. I've never done this ride but I hear it's about camaraderie, eating and sightseeing.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Claire wrote:My fleet-legged partner...
LouiseF wrote:...no need to worry about speed... it's about camaraderie, eating and sightseeing.
Lund

Post by Lund »

LouiseF wrote:no need to worry about speed…it's about camaraderie, eating and sightseeing.
Oh dear. Greg...could you please have a come-to-Jesus with your darling wife?
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

Penny et al, worry not! We’ll have a sizeable chill groupo tomorrow!

If folks feel frisky and want to ride a little faster, we should separate at the ferry or announce it along the way. As long as you don’t get the last chocolate chip cookies, it’s all good.

But if you do,

We’ll have some directions/Cafe info printed but overall I’m not wed to any one place. It’s a pretty direct shot up to Crofton on some side roads; I’m interested if anyone has ridden Cherry Point Rd off of Telegraph Rd? Only adds a few km and easily skipable if there’s interest in the 1150 ferry.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

We should vote on the first ferry on how to approach this ride:
  1. mashing it fast and furious, bagging KOMs, dropping slower riders (losers), and generally relishing the feel of tight kit against our taut, rigid, OMG so-in-shape muscles, or
  2. group-riding to maximize smoothness, efficiency, and the Tripleshot ethos*, chatting with the rider next to us, enjoying the scenery/swoopy vortexes, stopping for fun photos, and eating all the food.
Of course, we could always split into an A and a B ride and say Halloo to each other whilst riding the various ferryboats.

* The most important person on a group ride ain’t you!
dranson

Post by dranson »

I choose B! Oh, and I hope there’s coffee in there somewhere too...
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Pissed for having made other plans ...

... please don’t have fun.
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

We’ll miss you, John.

roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

Great weather, great food and great company. One of the best days out on a ride. Big thanks to everyone who participated!
Kenji Jackson
PDavis

Post by PDavis »

Such a fun day! Thank you to all. Can't wait to do it again!
Penny
dranson

Post by dranson »

Yes, thanks all for making this such a enjoyable - and memorable day!

David
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Another gooder!

Thanks for not hating on me for unwittingly restricting us to brunch in Ganges, and for making y'all climb out of Beddis Beach.

Missing from the group-shot are Martin (who turned back at Cow Bay) and Claire 'n' Steve (who were the Jack Russell terriers to our fox hunt, the Red Oxpeckers to our rhinoceros, the hyperactive six year-olds to our Dad-on-the-couch—cycling circles around us all day, often disappearing into the distance and then showing up at ferries with fists full of KOMs etc. etc.)

After the last riders peeled off at the new bridge, I headed for the West Bay Marina and talked a Harbour Ferry captain into taking me and my bike to Fisherman's Wharf. Bingo: Four Ferry Ride!

Raw video now entering the editing suite...

p.s. John: we had a totally sh!t day. :lol:
Last edited by Rolf on Thu May 31, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

THANKS to all for coming out and contributing to an awesome day!

For those who couldn't make it this time, it was a lot like this, except on bikes:

Claire

Post by Claire »

It was a fabulous ride and such a great way to spend a day. The pitstops for coffee and goodies were fun and social - and a nice opportunity to enjoy the fine peeps who populate the club. Thanks all for your company, organizational efforts and easygoing nature.

FWIW, the north loop that Steve and I did while you were noshing on sammies in Ganges was awesome. Highly recommend adding that into the day if you're interested in extending your ride on some new terrain.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Ride video's done:

Tripleshot Cycling - Three (Four) Ferries Ride 2018

I count four (4) ferries, four (4) cups of coffee, and a delicious, electrolyte-rich Caesar.