Dallas Road Time Trial--Volunteers Needed June 1

Moderator: mfarnham

mfarnham

Dallas Road Time Trial--Volunteers Needed June 1

Post by mfarnham »

Hi folks,

On June 1 (Friday afternoon/evening), Tripleshot will be marshalling the Dallas Road Time Trial, as we do each year. It's an opportunity to wear the Tripleshot colours while giving back to the cycling community, cheering on some racing friends and elite athletes from all over Canada, and earning some money for the club (we receive a donation from the race organizers as thanks for our help).

https://www.victoriabikerace.com/energy ... time-trial

It's a longer race than usual this year, owing to it being part of Masters Nationals, so we need more bodies.

If you (like me!) have never marshalled this race, this is your year to join the fun. It's not a difficult job, but it's essential to running a smooth and safe race. If you haven't yet signed up with Neil (Fozzy), please either let him know in person or note your interest in response to this post.

Looking forward to seeing you out there on the course...one way or another!

Best,
Martin
Rolf

Re: Dallas Road Time Trial--Volunteers Needed June 1

Post by Rolf »

Sign me up, Fozzy! 8)

I've marshalled the TT nearly every year since 2011 (when I made this cheesy video of the action featuring a few famous pros.)

It's a great race to help run. The work's none too arduous, in a beautiful environment, and you get a front row seat to some truly inspiring performances. The rider-a-minute format lets you anticipate and identify riders, further enhancing the fan experience. This year's race should be even more exciting with KGT thrown in.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Hi All

Another reminder that we need marshals for this event.
I have sent emails out to all that said that they would volunteer this year and have 30% response.
I need another 10-15 bodies so, please respond to your e-mails, and if you didn't sign up initially, but would like to volunteer. Give me a shout.

Cheers
Ann

Post by Ann »

Hi Neil,

Did you get my email last week that Erica and I would like to volunteer?

Ann
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

What time do volunteers need to be there? And when are they done?

I'm suggesting parents of the youth team that they bring their rider down, then volunteer, and they could be done in time to get them home. Sound right?

Lister
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Hi Lister

Got this info from John.
Note that we are starting sooner and that we are starting setup at 1:00pm. Here is the schedule
1:00pm to 3:00 pm - Staging and Setup
2:00 pm - Road Closure in Effect by Vic PD and Certified TCP's
3:00 pm - Marshals assigned radios and vests
3:30 pm - All marshals to be in position to assigned positions
4:00 pm - 1st racer start
7:30 pm - est last racer finish
7:45 pm - Once radio has given "all clear", marshals to return to start/finish to return radios, safety vests, and paddles.
8:00 pm - Awards at Clover Point

Map is available using the link below.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... tjwSl0sDyw

Cheers

Neil
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

So do you need them all at 1, or could the parents of kids needing help to get to the start, come at 3 and help?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Hi Lister

If people can make it earlier, then that is great, but I would like to get everybody together for their radios at 2:30 to 3:00, then that gives them a chance to get to their marshalling spot.

Cheers
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I’m guessing with waiting for kids coming home from school, and herding them down to their start, usually early in the start order, it might be tough to get many. And after I’m guessing they’ll be getting kids home, before the older categories finish, so not much help with tear down. Let me know if I can suggest anything in between.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
islawalker

Post by islawalker »

Neil -
should we get youth parents to volunteer via this site?
Does that come to you or Jon?
If you get it parents might find it easier than the forum.
https://www.victoriabikerace.com/volunteer
Or we can post your email?

Nick (Isla and Malcolm's dad n.walker@shaw.ca ) has been been voluntold he is marshalling at the bottom of Moss Street. Park him in the wheelchair and no one gives him guff to go through.

Malcolm is aways at sister's graduation in Halifax.

I am catering a swim meet that weekend; but will try and get a sub that Friday to be on Dallas Road instead.

Kim
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Hi Kim

I won’t see the volunteers on this site. If you can let me know either via this forum or at Neil-forrest@hotmail.com that would be great.

Cheers
CraigSmith

Post by CraigSmith »

Marie can help on Friday, and I will try to be there also. Most likely both between 2 and 3 and can stay latish.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Hi Craig & Marie

Many thanks for volunteering.
Can you email me your contact details on neil-forrest@hotmail.com as soon as possible please?
That way I will be able to send you further details of where you will be stationed etc.

Cheers

Neil
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Some tips gleaned over the years for volunteering at this awesome event:
  • it's nearly always windy and colder than expected; bring extra layers in a backpack (it's also nice to wear Tripleshot stuff on the outside, so our club contribution is visible);
  • bring some good leather work or gardening gloves, it makes handling the big, (sometimes rusty) fence components much more pleasant;
  • bring a bunch of pocket food: bars, jerky, M&Ms, trail mix, Hawkins Cheezies® (synonymous with wholesome goodness, don'tcha know).etc.; it might be just me, but aforementioned cold = *hunger*—and the event is over the dinner hour;
  • your primary duty when marshalling is to control the road and keep riders and non-riders safe; no matter where you're marshalling, expect pedestrians/non-competitors to sometimes do silly things, including seriously underestimating rider speeds; it's good to loudly call out "Rider up!" every time one approaches (or bring a safety whistle you can tweet and save your voice); and
  • print the start-list (hopefully available here on Friday morning), or just pull it up on your phone; you may find knowing who riders are, what category they are in, and who's coming next, allows you to stay fully engaged and enjoy spectating the event much more.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Do you still need people? Email me at roland@rabien.com if you do.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Rolf wrote:Some tips gleaned over the years for volunteering at this awesome event:

+1
  • it's nearly always windy and colder than expected; bring extra layers in a backpack (it's also nice to wear Tripleshot stuff on the outside, so our club contribution is visible);
  • bring some good leather work or gardening gloves, it makes handling the big, (sometimes rusty) fence components much more pleasant;
  • bring a bunch of pocket food: bars, jerky, M&Ms, trail mix, Hawkins Cheezies® (synonymous with wholesome goodness, don'tcha know).etc.; it might be just me, but aforementioned cold = *hunger*—and the event is over the dinner hour;
  • your primary duty when marshalling is to control the road and keep riders and non-riders safe; no matter where you're marshalling, expect pedestrians/non-competitors to sometimes do silly things, including seriously underestimating rider speeds; it's good to loudly call out "Rider up!" every time one approaches (or bring a safety whistle you can tweet and save your voice); and
  • print the start-list (hopefully available here on Friday morning), or just pull it up on your phone; you may find knowing who riders are, what category they are in, and who's coming next, allows you to stay fully engaged and enjoy spectating the event much more.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
FairweatherMike

Post by FairweatherMike »

Hi Fozzy -

I'm available June 1 from 2:45 pm for about 4 hours. Are the marshals and organizers meeting on Dallas near Clover Point?

Cheers

Mike Skinner
250-514-9515
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

TT Start List is here:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/0d2628_d ... a373c5.pdf

First rider: 4:31 pm
Last rider: 7:10 pm
Lister Farrar