VCL#5

Moderator: mfarnham

JohnT

VCL#5

Post by JohnT »

The Speedway races this evening start at 6 pm. Sign-up at 5:30 pm. C race is first. B race at 6:30 pm and A race at about 7:10 pm.

Note, we reduced the entry fee last week (from $15 to $10) to reduce the impact of the $8 (one-time) charge for numbers and racing chips. It's $15 this week (and an additional $8 for any first time racers, for said number and racing chip). I know that's a lot (especially if you didn't take advantage of our generosity last week), but the track costs $300/night and the timing fee is $5/racer. We had 60 people out last week, which was amazing, but made no money. We'll prolly make a little this evening, but that could all be lost if it rains next week. So, sorry, I hate it being expensive, but is costs what it costs.

See you this evening,

JT
JohnT

Re: VCL#5

Post by JohnT »

Excellent evening of racing. Lots of racers in each category. There was a crash in the B race that resulted in some look-the-other-way road rash, which will going to hurt like hell in the shower, but not stop anyone from racing next week ;-). Great A-race with a 3-man breakaway - launched by Andrew Attwell and survived to the finish line (nice when that happens). New kit looked great this evening, especially among the C's.

Big thanks to Geoff Wong and Mark Ford for helping out with registration.

JT
Marc

Post by Marc »

Thanks for all your work getting these races together John! Western Speedway is such a great race series, and it's only possible with efforts like yours. Chapeau!
Gerry L

Post by Gerry L »

Many thanks to the volunteers for the races that went like clockwork. Even the music was appropriate- "Highway to Hell" by AC/DD was playing as the crash occurred.

Gerry
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I'd like to add my thanks to John and the volunteers from the club.

In the eyes of newbies, it's a major step up to racing in a pack. But it's so hard to practice bunch stuff safely in normal traffic conditions. So I sell these Speedway races pretty hard to nervous beginners and families, because there's no traffic, no hills, tons of room, just the pack dynamic to focus on.

And it really, really, works. (NB to other nervous TS' first timers.)

Last night we had Kathleen 15, Kim 12, Sabine 13, Liam S 15, Liam W 12, Zak 17, Trevor 16, Parker 16, Nicky 11, Alen 15, all in the c race.

Last week, Kathleen was lapped twice. This week, in a bigger faster pack, she stayed in all the way to the finish. Kim did her first one and stayed in, and had only one minor wobble. Liam , Nicky and Sabine had a couple laps out, but got back in after a rest. They were noticeably better each attempt at reading the pace of the pack and the flow of the riders. And were exhilarated by riding in the pack, have opted for more aero positions and are coming back for the next one, determined to stay out of the wind and hold the group.

Major props to coaches Matt Patriquin and Malcolm Walker who rode alongside and helped newbies close gaps and choose the right gear, and get that Eureka! moment when they feel the draft, persist through a surge, recover a bit and move up the pack. And to Paul Christopher, who lead out Zak for his first win, in only his second race.

Some very happy, excited parents too. Who looked kinda skeptical when I said "The way to learn racing is try a race."

In B, Matt "I ride everything" Patriquin and Brenna coached Isla (15), Talia (17), Griff (15). Again a faster pack than last week, but they felt better and moved around the pack with ease, which shows what coach Brenna calls getting your "race legs". Griff and Isla even battled for Brenna's wheel for the sprint. (Note to file: why teams designate a sprinter and leadout riders. :)

Highly recommended.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Here's the c bunch from last night. Yes i checked if anyone was behind me before I shot it. :)
Attachments
May 2 2018 vcl speedway c bunch.jpg
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Thanks John and Geoff and Mark and others who helped. It's such a great event.

For those who have toyed with the idea of racing, this is the perfect way to try it out. The VCL C ride now has a critical mass of both kids and adults, so that you can just come out with the goal of "hanging on" and, if you're a (Tripleshot Morning) B rider, have a very good chance of meeting that goal. The beauty of the Speedway C race (for adults) is there's no real hill. The kids fly up hills at VCL venues like Caleb Pike, which means beginner adults tend to get dropped easily. But at the Speedway there's no hill, no sharp corners, and no traffic to worry about. And your friends are cheering you from the stands.

I highly recommend it! Ride your bike out to avoid the Colwood Crawl. And bring a backpack with lights and a jacket and leg warmers for after the race. And don't forget your Cycling BC membership number (like I did!). :oops:

Martin