Victoria Slow roll

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Bosie

Victoria Slow roll

Post by Bosie »

Hi folks,

I would like to get a ?weekly or ?monthly ride going in Victoria to encourage people to get on bikes, enjoy cycling and encourage the community around cycling.

The idea would be something similar to that done in a number of cities in the world already. Similar to the "slow roll" of Detroit (which has now been copied in various places) or the Denver Cruiser ride:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXe2i6RggsY
https://slowrollbuffalo.org/
http://denvercruiserride.com/

Basically a really slow ride suitable for almost anyone and encouraging almost anyone to join. Cycle through the streets of Victoria every week/ month, meeting up before, afterwards (and during) with friends and the community to enjoy cycling.

It would NOT be a politically inspired ride similar to "Critical Mass"

My thinking so far is to perhaps do a "proof of concept" ride on second Monday in April. Invite friends and friends of friends to meet up at Beacon Hill petting zoo parking lot and then do a loop from there along the waterfront, E&N to Colwood and back on the goose. close to 20km in 2 hours. Super slow, chilled and fun. Kids, grandparents, anyone who can ride a bike. If it gains traction, we would consider making it a regular thing and then maybe looking for Community support, insurance etc. etc. Formalise details etc. Go live in May..

A few questions for the Tripleshot community:
1) Is this something folks think is a good idea/ worth doing? Is this something Victorians would support?
2) Would anyone like to help with this project/ idea and help me toss ideas around/ organize etc.
(if you are, please PM me).

Regards,

Craig
Craig B.
barton bourassa

Re: Victoria Slow roll

Post by barton bourassa »

Sounds fantastic! And a lot of fun!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Great Idea....warm weather and Sun will get people out.
Pick a time , consistent start place and coffee place ....and Go.
I believe one of Tripleshot's reasons for success and growth is keeping the times and locations consistent.
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

Craig ... I think Victoria should be the one place in Canada to have this. Windsor, Ontario has one, but aren't they really just a suburb of Detroit? ;) It's a great idea and looks like fun. Andrew
John D

Post by John D »

While I like the idea in general, I do wonder (especially given the desired audience) whether we might consider teaming up with a group like MEC or the Victoria Cycling Coalition? They've made overtures to us in the past about teaming up to promote "community cycling events".

Also, although a 2-hour 20km ride seems like nothing to most of us, it's still a pretty big deal for your average casual cyclist. That said, count me in to help out. This could be my only chance to attack off the front (as opposed to being dropped off the back of the TSC C-ride). :wink:

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

Thanks all.

I think there are many potential sponsors and interested parties. MEC, Mayor helps etc.

I based the 20km on Detroit that seems to do 20km in about 2 hours.

They also rotate through different communities and start points with different routes.

So with the positive response, I think Ill move ahead with a trial ride.

Ill pick a date (Second Monday in April) and we can do the route as suggested.

Ill post on the forum closer to the time. Get your friends out. And if it seems viable, we can work on setting up a small committee/ group and then approach various groups etc. Get insurance, waivers blah, blah...

Sound reasonable?

Craig
Craig B.