Snow Day! Friday Feb 23rd

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Alan

Snow Day! Friday Feb 23rd

Post by Alan »

I tested the white stuff today and it's awesome out there. Some of the roads are a little slippery, but, shite, we're on cross bikes, who needs roads?
Which means we need to book a seriously fun snow ride on Friday while those lazy roadies lie in bed or pedal pitifully on their trainers in their basements, the wusses. Or maybe they're preparing to go bowling.
Will post a suitably humiliating gif.
Meet at OBH as per usual. Post if you're in.

If you're not in, and you don't have a decent excuse or a medical exemption (like Rolf) then you're even wussier than those lazy roadies... :roll:
I can expect now the non-cyclocrossers are going to post a bunch of hateful gifs. Go ahead. But stay clean. This is a family-friendly forum we're running here...
Alan

Re: Snow Day! Friday Feb 23rd

Post by Alan »

What I said about bowling....

Last edited by Alan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Alan,

In reverence to the hilarity* above (and to Rolf) I'm restraining myself from posting a response gif.

I'll give it go. If too treacherous, what the heck, we make snow angels until the coffee shops open.

*I think if you drop the "s" on "https" your gif will be available on all browsers.
Alan

Post by Alan »

The Big Lebowski is a font of bowling wisdom. As pictured

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Sounds like a plan to me. Hopefully see you there if I can get out of my unicorn stuffy covered, warm, soft bed in time.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Alan, if you're safe, stay where you are, I'm sending help. Fozzy, you're sick too.

John
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

I'm a likely. Especially since customs finally released my new winter cycling jacket so I can finally be appropriately attired. But, there is a fair bit of pavement b/tw me and OBH and a fair number of trails w/n a mile of my house so........if the roads look like they did early this morning in my neighborhood (sheer ice), I may have to stay up here to avoid injury coming down an icy Foul Bay hill.

Greg rode CX this morning and said the trail were mint, the roads not so much.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Louise,

What about meeting us around 6:20 at the corner of Cedar Hill and Henderson? (Assuming, for us, that we need 10-15 minutes to get from OBH to that point, Rolf?). You could text us in the morning if your roads are uncooperative.

Keen to see your new jacket. If it's straight enough we could consider getting one for Alan for calling this damn ride. And, Greg, go to hell for riding without us, and for not posting any gifs lately. And Rolf, don't you dare try and claim that I'm trying to ensnare people into "lunacy and abuse". And, Fozzy, please explain your freakn name.

And Alan,

John
Alan

Post by Alan »

Let's play it safe tomorrow, peoples. No running with scissors.

and John, why the aggression man?

JTyre

Post by JTyre »

LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

John that is a great suggestion if others are okay with it. I might even suggest we try coffee at PV instead of Shoal Point given there won't be any roadies out anyway and there is a lot of pavement to get down there. I might even be able to partake tomorrow.....
Ann

Post by Ann »

I will probably be out for the cross ride tomorrow. I know of one roadie that plans to be out, but I can let him know that coffee is at PV. :D
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Ann, Louise, Fozzy, all on the same ride, fantastic! Proof positive that Alan is very magnetic, or repulsive in a kind of attractive way, or you have no better option, or the executive asked you all to come and straighten him out. All that’s missing is our little Rolfy.

OK, OBH at 6 am, onwards to our rendezvous with Louise, lots of fun, and then PV where my much-better half may join us for coffee.

So excited, not sure I'll sleep a wink tonight.

John
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

Are "Roadies" even allowed on here?? I come gif-free.

I rode the Friday route at 4:00 this afternoon and because most of Mount Doug Parkway was wet, I would advise that any "roadies" ( it's like I'm swearing ) alter the Friday route to exclude Shelbourne, Blenkinsop and Mount Doug all together. There were chunks of ice on the shoulder of Blenkinsop, and I would be surprised if sections through Mount Doug weren't icy at 6am tomorrow. Would anybody want to join me for an altered ride? I was thinking from Oak Bay High to Beacon Hill via the usual waterfront, do one quick lap and then retrace the route all the way back to the Yacht Club and then back to Beacon Hill. We could go straight to PV if the CXers would allow us to join them ..... we can compare notes, and prove that we were out (Louise)!

Andrew
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

JTyre wrote:(Assuming, for us, that we need 10-15 minutes to get from OBH to that point, Rolf?)
Judging by our somewhat straight run up Henderson and Woodburn on Tuesday, taking similar backroads and trails (incl. Henderson chips), you should get there 14 minutes after leaving OBH.

Trying and failing not to be jealous over here...
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

JTyre:

GarthC

Post by GarthC »

AJ Neale wrote:Are "Roadies" even allowed on here?? I come gif-free.

I rode the Friday route at 4:00 this afternoon and because most of Mount Doug Parkway was wet, I would advise that any "roadies" ( it's like I'm swearing ) alter the Friday route to exclude Shelbourne, Blenkinsop and Mount Doug all together. There were chunks of ice on the shoulder of Blenkinsop, and I would be surprised if sections through Mount Doug weren't icy at 6am tomorrow. Would anybody want to join me for an altered ride? I was thinking from Oak Bay High to Beacon Hill via the usual waterfront, do one quick lap and then retrace the route all the way back to the Yacht Club and then back to Beacon Hill. We could go straight to PV if the CXers would allow us to join them ..... we can compare notes, and prove that we were out (Louise)!

Andrew
Good plan Andrew, see you tomorrow

Garth