Sunday, Feb. 4

Mostly nonsense. Also riding bicycles inappropriate for off road terrain, off road; GIFs

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Sunday, Feb. 4

Post by Rolf »

I’m really looking forward to rounding off another solid week of cross rides tomorrow morning. Life is good!

Thinking maybe Goose, a big clockwise loop around Thetis to Francis King, then up Munns and Woodridge to Hartland, MTB-fartaround as much (or as little) as we feel like it, then head back down through Meadowbrook to Prospect, and back into town via Interurban and Colquitz River? Or maybe Elk southbound and Colquitz via Quicks Bottom instead.

These are just some suggestions. We could also skip Thetis in favour of Francis King and more time around Hartland. Would be great to have some regular MTB-ers along to guide Hartland and environs...

I’ll be happy so long as I’m out under the trees. It’s gonna be hot! Almost 10°!
Greg F

Re: Sunday, Feb. 4

Post by Greg F »

Unfortunately we can’t join. Take care around Thetis - I reckon those puddles will be mighty deep now!

Image Image
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

I’m in Rolf, and stitch-lite.

You know, we could continue north through Thetis around Stewart Mountain and onto Munn’s. A little right jog on Munn’s and then we’re onto Legend and into Hartland. Here’s the map that I’m looking at.

As for Greg, and L3, this is all I have to say:

LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Sounds like a great loop! Been wanting to ride some more of the dump's blue trails on the CX bike. Have fun! Wish we could join.

And John - how about you switch it up for a little baby/puppy sitting and novice hockey?.....ahhhh. .....I see. Who's the coward now?
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

Yeah!!! What she said!!!!

JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Been there, done that. Our babes and pups grew up way too fast. Enjoy the moment.

Next ride,
John
Alan

Post by Alan »

Sorry I missed the ride today. Found other amusements, as pictured below. Remember doing that on the prairies for kicks, John? Almost as fun as waterskiing in the ditches behind dad's car.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Missed you today, Alan. Hope Thetis was a slice. We had a long, sometimes-climby, never-boring ride with some new challenges and lots of water. There was also no one else to listen to John—so I had to do that a lot.
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Great ride Alan, and you were greatly missed, but I can’t tell a lie, I was spent:

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

John, this part of our ride on Sunday:

was this connector targeted by the Nature Trails Society for work next month:

A Times Colonist article with details on the trail work is here.

And here's the requisite edit from our ride.
Last edited by Rolf on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Great ride video mate.
Alan

Post by Alan »

One of your more entertaining videos, Rolf, enhanced by a better soundtrack than the others (acoustic and steel guitar with some harmonica thrown in there) Maybe a few too many shots of John's scrawny behind, because, let's face it, we always get to see a lot of his ass on these rides. ;--) I am amazed at how much water there is, everywhere--we'll have to cherish this in the dog days of summer when it's dry as a bone. You'll have to let me wear your go-pro on the next longish ride so we can all revel in your Cyclocross prowess...
Alan

Post by Alan »

Sorry, I didn't add a gif. But instead, you should watch this one to the punchline:
The wife of Biggus Dickus... her name is: "incontinentia buttocks"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx_G2a2hL6U
JTyre

Post by JTyre »

Rolf, thanks for the trail update. In some ways, I wish they’d leave that section alone. I’ve enjoyed running it in the past, and the ride on it last Sunday was memorable. I’m not sure where the improvement would be, but perhaps I’m missing something.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

My understanding of Nature Trails modus is they’re not looking to widen or change trails much, just ensure they have a proper rock or packed base to withstand multi-use (bikes, horses) and that they avoid sensitive bits like tiny, baby mushrooms and ecosystems and things like that.

Lister & co. knows more as the yoots have been out building with ‘em in the past.