Not crash-related (though, perhaps crash-preventative)

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

WendellC

Re: Not crash-related (though, perhaps crash-preventative)

Post by WendellC »

Claire wrote:Does anyone have any fresh intel on the best tires for the wet rides? Please share!
I have had good luck with the Specialized Roubaix tires, they seem to bite well in the wet and roll reasonably well. Otherwise the Continental 4000sII are still a great choice. Continental also has a wet weather specific tire, Grand Prix 4 Season. It should have a bit more traction, but will roll considerably slower than the 4000s for a given setup.
Paul.L

Post by Paul.L »

I just purchased a pair of the 28mm 4 all seasons Continentals for my wet weather bike. I purchased them from chain reaction cycles. They cost $105 all in/delivered!

Obviously they aren’t as fast as the fancy summer tires (sworks turbo) I swapped them for, but that wasn’t the intent.

So far the rubber is still very soft and sticky to the touch, Meaning lots of traction. It was confirmed on this mornings wet roads, they felt confidence inspiring.

I was looking for a tire that first, had lots of grip. Second, was resistant to punctures. Third, wasn’t terribly slow. I was looking for a tire that when pumped up hard, would make due for road rides, and when at a lower pressure would be comfortable, and tough enough for the gravel parts of the goose.

These tires get good reviews online, and hit the nail on the head as to what I was looking for.

So far, I’m very happy with my purchase.
jbarrett

Post by jbarrett »

Conti 4000's .... I agree with all the posts ... they're great in the rain and wet, provide confidence, comfort, durability ... but a bit pricey.

Planet X in the UK has some of the best deals around. These Hutchison's at just 5UK pounds look attractive.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYHUN2WT/ ... wired-tyre

Gatorskins ... no good in the rain, slippery. They're tough and long lasting tyres as long as it's dry.
Claire

Post by Claire »

I read these words...
Paul.L wrote:I just purchased a pair of the 28mm 4 all seasons Continentals for my wet weather bike....

they felt confidence inspiring.
and quickly got to some researching on the internet. This is what I need - confidence in my tires to stay stuck down!

The price of the Conti 4000s and the 4 Seasons is comparable. But given that I'm tire shopping for my dedicated shitty-weather bike, I've opted for the 4 Seasons due to their reportedly better grip in slippery conditions. If it's not slippery, I'll bust out my lighter, lower-rolling-resistance summer tires/bike and go like the wind!

I also felt somewhat reassured after laying out about $115 on Chain Reaction for two of these (curse you, Paul L. on your lower price achievement!) when I spied some higher end tires at the bricks 'n' mortar MEC fetching over $80 each.