Mt Washington

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

jj12

Mt Washington

Post by jj12 »

Anyone who has ridden this hill could you let me know what and how it is? I was thinking of Strava data or text would be nice as well. Pictures would also be a bonus. Thanks in advance- JG.
Alan

Re: Mt Washington

Post by Alan »

I rode that hill once, when my family decided we needed to go skiing.
It was unrelenting, dirty, occasionally steep, and cold, with snow five feet high in the ditches.

I have no data, pictures or anything to prove that I did it, except the searing memory that I'll never do that again. Ever. Besides, cycling to go skiing? It twas a stupid idea to start with. It's like paddleboarding to the lawn bowling park. I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Go with your family in the car and don't be weird. Like me. :roll:
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Hi John,

I have done it too, and Alan has used most of adjectives I was going to use. The only thing I would change is that is "mostly" steep rather than "occasionally" steep. It was 7-11% most of the way with a dip about halfway up to bring the overall average gradient down.
The scenery is not as enjoyable as Hurricane Ridge, nor is the descent due to the rough road surface. The only advice I would offer is to do it with a friend or two to make the ride more pleasant.

Here is my Strava ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/194697884
joannafox

Post by joannafox »

Many of the Youth Team members have done the MT W hill climb and rocked it! I am sure Coach Lister will fill you in on the deets. As to why anyone would tackle it in winter is beyond me; skiing is much more enjoyable...
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

If you do it early, or late, in the day, keep an eye out for bears. Also, on the way down test brakes gently at various speeds. Hard on the front brakes at speed, especially if you are shivering, can lead to a high speed wobble that could end very badly. Even pressure on front and back brakes, even dragging the rear brake, helps. Other than that ... it's amazing :shock:
jj12

Post by jj12 »

Many thanks all! Stephane and John as well..Strava data big bonus!