Youth Team & Thrifty Foods SMILE cards

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

joannafox

Youth Team & Thrifty Foods SMILE cards

Post by joannafox »

Acting on a suggestion from an adult member at an AGM a few years back, the Youth Team has secured a fundraising arrangement with Thrifty Foods that will be administered by Kim Walker (thx Kim!!).

If you shop at Thrifty Foods and are interested in using a SMILE card when you buy your groceries (you load it and get your credit card points), 5% of what you spend will flow back to the TS club to be used by youth riders for "travel" expenses (note: TF rules specify funds can't be used for kit or fees). This will benefit all the youth riders, not any one specifically; they all have parents who put gas in the car, sometimes stay at motels for off-Island races like Provincials or Stage Races, and feed their growing kids on the road.

The youth teams have been very fortunate to be supported by increased sponsorship this year from the club, its sponsors and several new sponsors that have come on board. This is enabling the coaches to receive improved remuneration for their expertise and long hours (we have 6 coaches on the roster with several others helping out when they can!) and also for all youth riders to receive a jersey.

If you are interested in getting a SMILE card, please email Kim at kawalker@shaw.ca and she will arrange to have the cards dropped off to you by one of the youth riders.

TS Youth Team thanks you!
islawalker

Re: Youth Team & Thrifty Foods SMILE cards

Post by islawalker »

Thanks Carolyn Bennet for being our first general club member to use one.... Just email for you own to be delivered to your door !
Ann

Post by Ann »

Thanks for the reminder Kim (and Carolyn)! I would like one please.

Also, if you give me a handful, maybe 10, I can give them out to interested people at coffee this week after our rides.

Ann
islawalker

Post by islawalker »

Ann Patrick -

Isla will drop you off a bunch on her way to Carolyn's this aft.

Kim
myboys

Post by myboys »

Ann, if I ever get out of bed/off the couch/get better, I'll take a card. Hopefully, I'll be out on the next Saturday ride, if not before.

Mary
Ann

Post by Ann »

I gave out three smile cards at coffee today. I'll bring them with me to the track tomorrow, although I suspect the youth riders will have them too. Not sure if I'm riding Sunday but if I am, I'll bring some with me then too.
joannafox

Post by joannafox »

April 6, 2018 UPDATE
Thanks for shopping at Thrifty Foods! We have reached our limit of $3K in less than a year and we've been approved for another $3.5K!!! You can continue to use your TS Smile cards and I am getting some more if you need them. You can contact competerecoaching@gmail.com to request the cards.
The Youth Team is in dire need of their own tents/new benches, which will be a focus for our fundraising with Thrifty Foods.