Are disc brakes allowed on club rides

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

WendellC

Are disc brakes allowed on club rides

Post by WendellC »

I am somewhat new to your club and was wondering if there were any explicit club rules (written or otherwise) governing the use of disc brakes on club events. I have seen some disc brake equipped bikes on the couple winter rides I have been on, so I expect it is a go-ahead, but I wanted to confirm that disc brakes are indeed allowed year round on all club events.
Rolf

Re: Are disc brakes allowed on club rides

Post by Rolf »

Thanks for asking, Wendell.

Yes, for a limited time, the club allows non-disc brakes on club rides, despite their inferior stopping power and inconsistent performance putting other riders at risk.

Once the transition in road bikes from rim-brakes to discs is complete, we'll look back on these challenging times of change with a laugh and a shake of the head. "How did we ever survive..." we'll say, as we squeeze our brakes levers with unthinking confidence.

:wink:

p.s. see also: viewtopic.php?p=28862.
WendellC

Post by WendellC »

Rolf wrote:the club allows non-disc brakes on club rides
I see what you did there... I agree it feels a bit silly to have to ask, but I am looking to buy my first new road bike in well over a decade and it would be maddening to get caught out by some bizarre backwards policy. Now I can forge ahead with one less concern!
Roland

Post by Roland »

WendellC wrote:
Rolf wrote:the club allows non-disc brakes on club rides
I see what you did there... I agree it feels a bit silly to have to ask, but I am looking to buy my first new road bike in well over a decade and it would be maddening to get caught out by some bizarre backwards policy. Now I can forge ahead with one less concern!
Just be aware if you plan to race, disc brakes are not allowed in most races sanctioned by Cycling BC, the exception being gran fondo type events. (And cyclocross and mountain biking of course). So if you want to do the Speedway races hosted by Tripleshot, you will need rim brakes.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
WendellC

Post by WendellC »

Roland wrote: So if you want to do the Speedway races hosted by Tripleshot, you will need rim brakes.
It was a thought, so this is good to know. Thank you for taking the time.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Roland is correct, but I expect the rule to change, perhaps in time for those Speedway races. We'll see.

JT
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

My understanding from Cycling BCs point of view is that it is hoped that non UCI races will be able to be deemed "Grassroots" races and as such disc brakes will hopefully be allowed. It is hoped that the new insurance system would cover this. Unfortunately this is not completely within Cycling BC's ability to change on its own as the Commissaires and Cycling Canada need to be on Board too. We are working on this......
Craig B.