Tea drinkers take note

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

AJ Neale

Tea drinkers take note

Post by AJ Neale »

This is hot off the press from The Journal of Strength and Conditioning

Effect of Caffeine on Perceived Soreness and Functionality Following an Endurance Cycling Event.
Caldwell AR1, Tucker MA, Butts CL, McDermott BP, Vingren JL, Kunces LJ, Lee EC, Munoz CX, Williamson KH, Armstrong LE, Ganio MS.
Author information
Abstract
Caldwell, AR, Tucker, MA, Butts, CL, McDermott, BP, Vingren, JL, Kunces, LJ, Lee, EC, Munoz, CX, Williamson, KH, Armstrong, LE, and Ganio, MS. Effect of caffeine on perceived soreness and functionality following an endurance cycling event. J Strength Cond Res 31(3): 638-643, 2017-Caffeine can reduce muscle pain during exercise; however, the efficacy of caffeine in improving muscle soreness and recovery from a demanding long-duration exercise bout has not been established. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of caffeine intake on ratings of perceived muscle soreness (RPMS) and perceived lower extremity functionality (LEF) following the completion of a 164-km endurance cycling event. Before and after cycling RPMS (1-to-6; 6 = severe soreness) and LEF (0-to-80; 80 = full functionality) were assessed by questionnaires. Subjects ingested 3 mg/kg body mass of caffeine or placebo pills in a randomized, double-blind fashion immediately after the ride and for the next 4 mornings (i.e., ∼800 hours) and 3 afternoons (i.e., ∼1200 hours). Before each ingestion, RPMS and LEF were assessed. Afternoon ratings of LEF were greater with caffeine ingestion the first day postride (65.0 ± 6.1 vs. 72.3 ± 6.7; for placebo and caffeine, respectively; p = 0.04), but at no other time points (p > 0.05). The caffeine group tended to have lower overall RPMS in the afternoon versus placebo (i.e., main effect of group; 1.1 ± 0.2 vs. 0.5 ± 0.2; p = 0.09). Afternoon RPMS for the legs was significantly lower in the caffeine group (main effect of caffeine; 1.3 ± 0.2 vs. 0.5 ± 0.3; p = 0.05). In conclusion, ingesting caffeine improved RPMS for the legs, but not LEF in the days following an endurance cycling event. Athletes may benefit from ingesting caffeine in the days following an arduous exercise bout to relieve feelings of soreness and reduced functionality.

So does this mean coffee drinkers are smarter, or tea drinkers tougher?

Andrew :wink:
LouiseF

Re: Tea drinkers take note

Post by LouiseF »

Well....there are only a few of us as far as I know...Peter, Jim, Ann (sort of, we're losing her to the bitter, burnt, dark side) ????? What do you guys think?
Ann

Post by Ann »

LouiseF wrote:Well....there are only a few of us as far as I know...Peter, Jim, Ann (sort of, we're losing her to the bitter, burnt, dark side) ????? What do you guys think?
Sorry, Louise. You are right that I'm turning into a coffee drinker, but I was never a tea drinker before. :)
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

Louise: "I don't always drink after a ride, but when I do, I prefer Earl Grey"
WendellC

Post by WendellC »

A couple quick thoughts (although the article is behind a paywall so I was not able peruse their methods):
  1. How did they control for the fact most endurance cyclists already ingest caffeine. It would be hard to find a set of "experimental units" (cyclists) that are not already habituated to some level of daily caffeine. As such I suspect we are looking less at the effects of adding caffeine to a diet and more at the effect of adding back a particular caffeine dose to individuals that may be habituated to differing levels of daily caffeine intake.
  2. My pet peeve are papers that don't indicate whether the +/- is it SD, SE, or CI? If it is the SE, then some of p-values look off, must be SD.
  3. It looks like they ran a lot of tests, but I do not get the impression that they controlled for experimental wise error. Doing so would likely eliminate the statistical significance.
  4. That said, the effect size seems to be in a consistent direction for perceived muscle soreness, lending some support to their conclusion, however this does not eliminate my main concern (1)
Has anyone had a chance to review the full article?
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Wendell: we haven't met. Welcome to Tripleshot! From your "quick thoughts", I'm going to guess you pursue a vocation known for brevity and wit—like maybe bingo calling? :wink:

Actually, I blame Andrew for recklessly setting an academic tone in this thread and posting a bloviating abstract full of kinesiological self-importance, instead of the usual breezy article at BreakingMuscle.com that gets to the meat of the matter for the pleebs—which incidentally appears to address Wendell's main concern about habituated caffeine junkies. :P

(If Alan "Conspiracy!" Cassels has taught me anything, it's not to trust any Science-ing I read on the Interweb unless I see those comforting ads at the bottom of the page: "The Bible's Biggest Weight Loss Secret (Amazing: Try it Tonight)" and "Itching This Part of Your Body is a Cure for Alzheimer's". Those failing scientific journals are so fake, so political. SAD.)
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

Yikes, ..... I'd better stick to commenting on the weather!

I have never been accused of being reckless ( well, maybe descending ) or setting an academic tone ....... just ask my grade 2 teacher. The original abstract was forwarded to me as is from a medical type person in a follow up to a brief discussion we had about the joys of coffee drinking; I know little about RPMS or LEF, I just enjoy sharing a cup after a ride and fighting with Barton over any leftovers!

Bloviate? My OMED did not have an entry .... I had to resort to the interweb! At least I learned that your area of expertise has a name Rolf. :wink:

And will we see you on a ride Wendell? Welcome to the forum until then.

Winter is over. Probably. I think. Maybe.

Andrew
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Peter and Mike why are we not called..
Teashot.
Tripletea.
Softmendrinktea club?

Are you not ashamed of yourselfs?
WendellC

Post by WendellC »

AJ Neale wrote: And will we see you on a ride Wendell? Welcome to the forum until then.
I have been on a few rides last year, planning on more this year. I should start showing up soon as I have been slowing been shifting my sleep schedule earlier

Likely most likely days: Tues/Fri/Sat -- need for speed!