Festive 500 thread

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

Bosie

Festive 500 thread

Post by Bosie »

A thread for those doing the Rapha Festive 500- From Strava, it looks like there are a dozen or so in the club.
Post here if you are looking for partners/ friends as you take on the weather and Post Xmas hangover to complete the challenge and get your roundel :)

First ride the Silly Winter Solstice ride- 100km around BHP- See Claires post- Starting at Disco at 7am on 24th Dec , or join at any time- should be going until about 10.
Craig B.
rhughes

Re: Festive 500 thread

Post by rhughes »

Tripleshot Festive 500

Hey folks, have you heard of the new "Tripleshot Festive 500".
Here is the challenge: 500km over the 8 days sounds simple enough.
To qualify for the prestigious finishers metal (yes metal) to accompany the Rapha one you must ride at least 100km cycling-cross and 100km on a mountain bike.

Easy enough. This metal will afix your Rapha finishers badge to your clothing (or skin if you are into more pain- as it strongly resembles a safety pin).

Happy riding!
Ritchie
thallett

Post by thallett »

I am planning to try the Festive 500. I want to do around 65K a day rather than a couple of bigger rides. I think Christmas Day will be tough, but if anyone is thinking about a ride that day, let me know.
Todd
roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

How about a quick 50-60km, meeting up really early on Christmas morning? I would like to wrap up around 7:30am so a 6am or earlier starting time would be fantastic. I'll probably go out solo if no takers but a flat tempo route preferred. Cheers
Kenji Jackson
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

Boxing day: Any takers for a 6:30ish start..90-120 kms somewhere..
Craig B.
Louise Wallace

Post by Louise Wallace »

My nephew Clayton is planning on riding the 500k all in one go riding laps around ring road. He is starting this evening and riding through the night until tomorrow night. I'm sure he would like company, or fuel lol. I plan on doing the tuesday C ride and probably stay to do some extra loops with him. Jim might go up there tonight if our dinner doesn't go too late.
Louise
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

:shock: Jim's side of the family, right Louise?

When will he start? I'll join him for a few laps.

JT
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Hoping that I can keep up, I am in for a few laps as well.

Mikael
Louise Wallace

Post by Louise Wallace »

Funny John, but actually my bother's son. He started about 8:00pm.
Louise
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

He seemed quite happy with the ride so far, I hope some people can get out to ring road tomorrow morning to help him out :)
rhughes

Post by rhughes »

Congrats to everyone who completed the Festive 500!

If you completed this year you are definitely a solid Rule 9er!!

It's one thing to ride around in a warm climate at this time of year. There is something extra difficult about completing here this year given the: frost, ice, near freezing temperatures mixed with rain, hail or snow and still complete the 500Km.

Well done!

And yes I did meet the Tripleshot Festive 500. Anyone else? (The Velomati need to know for the presentation).

Ritchie
Claire

Post by Claire »

rhughes wrote:Congrats to everyone who completed the Festive 500!

And yes I did meet the Tripleshot Festive 500. Anyone else? (The Velominati need to know for the presentation).

Ritchie
As in, within your 500km over the past 8 days you included: 100km on a MTB and 100km on a cx bike? You are a hardy and dedicated man, Ritchie. How are you going to affix that finisher's metal [sic] to your nipple?
Claire

Post by Claire »

Louise Wallace wrote:Funny John, but actually my bother's son. He started about 8:00pm.
Louise
Hey Louise - for what it's worth (and if it hasn't been done already) I think someone should bring Clayton's stunt to the attention of the folks at Rapha. They usually single out a few notable efforts, and I bet Clayton is, if not alone, then certainly in exclusive company for completing the Festive 500 all in one shot.
Louise Wallace

Post by Louise Wallace »

Hi Claire
That is not a bad idea. I think there might have been other people that did it all in one go. His ride has a nice story doing it in a loop with friends, family and strangers showing up to ride and bring refreshments. He did make the Saanich news.
Claire

Post by Claire »

I did hear that. Which edition? I'll make sure to check it out.
John D

Post by John D »

"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley